Desert Island IX: Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, Andrew. Starting your list. First off, first Abe Vigoda song I've ever heard. If they all sound like this, I may have to look more. Please tell me now if I'm only in for disappointment :depressed:

First section - Flow was fine, especially for the first few sections. Despite this, however, I felt like it was a little genre jumpy. Not a really bad thing, just something that jumped out at me.

There were moments in section two where I forgot I was listening to a list and got confused when the sound changed so abruptly (like the transition into Black Keys). There were certainly good things going there. Surprised by how much I enjoyed the Youth Lagoon track. Don't recall caring much for them.

Section 3 has been my favorite so far. But that's helped by the fact that you had my favorite song of last year in there :wink: ("Hold on When you Get Love and Let Go When You Get It")

Annnnddd, section 4 wasn't exactly my favorite section, but it wasn't bad either.

Overall, you set the bar pretty high, Andrew. Lots of songs I enjoyed, fairly decent flow (there were some wonky bits, but they were few and far between) and an overall nice vibe. Great stuff.

I'm ready. I'll start with Joey's list tonight, iron yuppie's tomorrow (I think that one works as a Friday listen), and the tourist and nielsgov over the weekend. :drool:

Alright, Andrew. Starting your list. First off, first Abe Vigoda song I've ever heard. If they all sound like this, I may have to look more. Please tell me now if I'm only in for disappointment :depressed:

The only album I have is the one that's represented on my list, but that album is very consistant and has a similar sound throughout. If you liked that one, I'd be shocked if you didn't like the album.

Glad you enjoyed overall!

Well, I'm halfway through the first half of gump's list. Really digging most of the stuff. Some of the high points that I was previously familiar with are Midnight City, Electric Feel, and Midnight Song. A couple that I didn't know that are gonna make me go out and find more by the artist were Play By Play and Nightcall. There were only three songs I didn't care for to this point, which is not bad at all - they were All To All (I've never cared for Broken Social Scene, though), Voyeur, and I Want To Be Well. Overall the flow was very good. Especially from Play By Play through Chemtrails.

A side note on how I grade/rank: Each song gets 10 points. My personal enjoyment of the song takes up 7 of those, the flow in and out takes up 2, and overall theme takes up 1. I know it's probably pretty Pitchforkian, because on my little notebook where I'm going to rank these things, I'll be diving the total number by the number of tracks to come out with a number with a decimal.

The first half of gump's list ranks pretty damn high.

A lot of these songs on the tourist's list I'm hearing for the very first time... Like I've mentioned before I'm quite out of touch with new music right now. So bands I've been curious about over the past few years (but never bothered to check them out) like Wild Nothing, Tame Impala, Lotus Plaza, M83 etc., I'm only listening to now through these songs. It feels good to discover some new music. But I'm not sure if these are necessarily the best beginners tracks of the respective bands to listen to or not.

For example: I liked Wild Nothing's Rheya. But I didn't care too much for Tame Impala's Feels Like We Only Go Backwards. I didn't find it terrible or anything but didn't find it exceptional either. But I kinda liked Lotus Plaza's Strangers. But didn't care much for M83's Splendour. Either these are not the perfect places to start for these bands or I just need more time with some of this music. :wink:

Anyway, it's good fun to listen to new stuff and see if I like anything.

Glad you are enjoying it so far, tourist. If you liked Nightcall, you'll probably enjoy Chromatics (Kill for Love) - it's a more complete album than the Drive OST, which contains lots of instrumental tracks.

I'm starting my listening now. iYup's list.

My Girls is definitely a good opener.

Okay I'm sorry, call me old-fashioned or whatever but I thoroughly enjoyed those last four songs on tourists' list! Stairway to Heaven, Strawberry Fields Forever, Sound of Silence... they really don't make 'em like they used to! :heart: I AM giving new songs a chance and maybe they need more time to grow on me, but this finale was gold! :up:

Liked the first two songs (which I knew) but then I got a few songs I didn't know. They flowed nicely but funk isn't exactly my favorite genre so I didn't enjoy it all. Miss You was nice though, and the Prince track was enjoyable as well.

Bizarre Love Triangle was also new to me but what a great track! The following section was pretty strong. I'm at Wandering Star now.

The rest of your list was nice, iron yuppie.

I always like an epic closer.

Alright. Just finished the second half of gump's list. Using my statistical calculations as I noted above, I liked the first half more than I liked the second half. That's not saying much, though because [a] the first half was fantastic, and it was a very narrow margin.

Some of the high points that I was previously familiar with are Feels Like We Only Go Backwards, About Today, and Carolina, although I thought the transition between the first two was a little wonky. A couple that I didn't know that are gonna make me go out and find more by the artist were Well You Better and Orpheo Looks Back. There were three songs I didn't care for on this side, but only one that I personally ranked fairly lowly. Wasn't impressed with The State I Am In or Stare At The Sun, and didn't care for One Sunday Morning (Song for Jane Smiley's Boyfriend). Man, does that song ever end?

Anyway, this list overall ranks as one of the best desert island entries I've heard to date. At least top 10, which is good considering this is the 5th DI I've been a part of and have therefore listening to, I imagine, 75 other lists. Fantastic job!

Hoping to get nielsgov's list loaded onto my iPod tonight, but we've closed on our house today and are getting keys, pre-moving, and going shopping for a refrigerator, washer, and dryer tonight. So we'll see if I can get it on there.

Very glad you liked it, tourist, thanks for the praise! And happy to know you may check Andrew Bird. He's great.

One Sunday Morning is my favorite song in my list, though. I never want it to end...

Liked the first two songs (which I knew) but then I got a few songs I didn't know. They flowed nicely but funk isn't exactly my favorite genre so I didn't enjoy it all. Miss You was nice though, and the Prince track was enjoyable as well.

Bizarre Love Triangle was also new to me but what a great track! The following section was pretty strong. I'm at Wandering Star now.

I'm glad you thought the flow was smooth. I was really concentrating on the sequencing for this list.

Okay............ so far, these are my observations.

Opening track, Nightcall I pretty much liked rightaway. :up:

Midnight City was okay but I didn't find it as special as I'd hoped. :/

The next few tracks unfortunately did not do much for me at all. It's probably just me and maybe I need repeated listens with them.

But the flow from track to track was very good!

The next track that I found kind of appealing was All To All. Interesting.

Liked MGMT's Electric Feel quite a bit!

Beach House Wishes is also pretty cool.

That's where I am right now...

Almost at the end of your list, gump. I think I preferred Sunday Morning to Saturday Night overall. Lots of interesting sounds even though I could not get into everything.

Alright, Joey, I really enjoyed the first disc of your list. Flowed nicely, but that wasn't a shock, given the artists you used. Lots of favorites in the section. Maybe a LITTLE one-note, because it was almost entirely that same sort of Canadian indie sound, but really, I love most of those songs, so I'm not complaining.

Back
Top Bottom