Desert Island IX: Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finished listening to this first batch of lists last night, finally.

Tourist's list was probably the most eclectic of this first batch. The first part was pretty good - I really enjoyed that diiv track, and the whole retro stretch from the Kinks to the Temptations. The second part was probably my least favorite of the four, just because I'm not a huge hip hop guy. That said, I did enjoy the background music in the Lupe Fiasco track, and all of the Outkast track, and I really enjoyed Stardeath and the White Dwarfes' "I Can't Get Away", particularly the almost electronic-sounding guitar solo at the end. Flaming Lips are always enjoyable as well. The third part was really strong. The Lykki Li track is maybe my favorite new discovery of this list. I really like her. A lot. I also loved the Ringo Deathstarr track "Other Things", it's really beautiful. "Hold On When You Get Love...." is catchy, and it finishes strong with Passion Pit and Tame Impala. "Feels Like We Only Go Backwards" segues really well into the M83 track that kicks off the fourth part. Liked that M83 track. Love Fleet Foxes, so "He Doesn't Know Why" was a welcome inclusion, and what and ending to the whole thing...how can you go wrong with Zeppelin/Simon And Garfunkel/The Beatles/The Beach Boys. Epic, epic closing combo. Good flow throughout, an eclectic mix of genres, and a handful of welcome new discoveries for me make this a strong list.

Joey's list created an atmosphere right away with the opening Elbow/St. Vincent/Metric trio, so I was pulled in. Good choices from Depeche Mode and Arcade Fire, and Danger Mouse(I'm a Norah Jones fan, so I enjoyed that) and then the closing stretch of disc 1, from "She's Leaving Home" through "Nightswimming" was very, very well done, one of my favorite stretches from this whole first batch. The second disc had some good discoveries, namely The Go! Team's "Lazy Poltergeist", Porcupine Tree's "Heartattack In A Lay By", and Steven Wilson's, "The Raven That Refused To Sing" - really good, largely instrumental stuff. Overall, thought the first disc was stronger, but the whole thing is pretty good, with a good flow as well. Well done.

Iron Yuppie's list had, I felt, the best flow of these first five. There's just a great sonic cohesion there, it feels like all of these songs could've come from the same place. Favorite selections include "Bizzare Love Triangle"(which was one of those songs I'd heard before but didn't know what it was), "Rapture", "Kiss", "I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That", and "Sun God". Great list. Really easy-listening, in a good way.

neilsgov's list was really interesting. In his description, he said the the atmosphere was pretty dark, and it is, for the first half. The first half was pretty industrial-sounding and cold, and I had a bit of a time getting into it, although Bjork and Mogwai got my attention in a really good way. But then, the second half made up for it. Oh man. From My Bloody Valentine up through The Cure, or even right up to the end, is probably my single favorite stretch in this first batch. Deerhunter is a band I need to listen to more of, and "Operation" makes that clear. The more I hear of Queens Of The Stone Age, the more I dig them. Classic Arcade Fire and Radiohead selections, obviously. I don't listen to The Cure that much, but what I do know of them(their biggest hits), I like very much. I really liked this song, "From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea" - it had sort of warmer, lusher production than I usually expect from The Cure, but it's really good(and I see it's from the same album as "Friday I'm In Love"...maybe I should check that record out). Just a really strong stretch of songs, which when combined with the Bjork and Mogwai songs that caught my attention earlier on, make for a very strong list.

gump's list is the 'most songs that I like that I hadn't heard before' champion of this batch for me. Kavinsky's "Nightcall", Grimes' "Genesis", Autre Ne Veut's "Play By Play", Beach House's "Wishes", Jame's Blake's "Voyeur", Belle & Sebastian's "The State I Am In", and Andrew Bird's "Orpheo Looks Back" were all pleasant discoveries for me. In fact, "The State I Am In", I think, has vaulted up there into the all-time favorite DI discovery hall-of-fame for me. Lots of good stuff here, and decent flow. Very well done.

I started listening to tourist's list. Liked the diiv song but didnt care for anything else up until ccr. who will stop the rain is one of my favorite ccr songs so :up: for that, and I have an out of character weakness for the temptations and the supremes. Stupid people complaining of chest pain who are already in cars driving themselves to the ER interrupted me as it was getting good. No more DI-ing at work, dammit.

Finished up both iron yuppie and neilsgov's list.

I thought iron yuppie's had an excellent flow that managed to switch between styles and time periods effortlessly. I loved the stretch from TV on the Radio through The Rolling Stones. Daft Punk and LCD back to back worked great too. Wasn't a fan of the Cut Copy closer though.

For neilsgov, the atmosphere was very notable and well-constructed for the playlist. I thought it started strong and only got better, though I wasn't a fan of that Blur track. Queens of the Stone Age to the ending was absolutely fantastic though.

Now there's just gump to wrap up part one.

Also, thanks to those who reviewed and enjoyed my playlist!

Gump, I felt your list was a great tour of some of the finest indie music of the last few years. I was familiar with everything on here, so it played like a superb random mix from my own library. The downside is that there were no surprises for me, but that certainly is no fault of your own. Highly enjoyable playlist for me overall.

I too finished Gump's list and enjoyed it greatly. Pretty much the only two songs I didn't like were by artists I already didn't like (James Blake and Sufjan). That left me 22 tracks to enjoy, whether I was familiar with the artist or not.

Thanks, guys. Glad you liked it. iYup: sorry there were no new discoveries, but I guess that means we both have similar (good!) tastes in music.

Finished with nielsgov's list today. It is pretty dark, as he described, but I enjoyed it a great deal. The first half (all the way to MBV) in particular was fantastic. There are quite a few artists that I didn't know and really liked (Amatorski, Trentemoller, The Haxan Cloak). The mood was really great and cohesive. The second part didn't captivate me as much, even though I knew and like most of the songs in there - perhaps because it was slightly less surprising and "atmospheric" than the first half. In any case, it was really well done. I'll have a hard time ranking all of these lists - I honestly enjoyed everything I've heard so far.

Just started listening to neilsgov's list, the only one that was left in this group. Really digging the atmosphere so far. Hunter is just an absolutely fantastic track. Björk is simply all kinds of awesome! And the next track from Amatorski went well with Hunter. :up:

Okay I finished listening to neilsgov's list. If I had to summarize it in one sentence I would say that the flow was almost impeccable throughout even though I was not fond of all the song selections. Many of the tracks sounded perfect next to one another, as if they were created only to be placed there.

New stuff I found really interesting: Trentemöller's Take Me Into Your Skin.

tried downloading joey's twice, but i cannot for the life of me figure out where the file goes when it comes from something uploaded to mega. it's not in the folder where all my downloads go, and searches for it bring up nothing. i also made sure i was downloading it rather than whatever (presumably) viruses all these sites scatter downloads for across their pages in addition to the one that holds the actual file. speaking of which, sendspace might be the worst offender.

Thanks for the comments on my list. I'm glad most people think the flow's good.

I'm going to have a lot of catching up to do in about a week. I'm on holiday and it didn't really work out with putting the playlists on my phone so I'll have to wait until I'm home to listen to more. Luckily I'll have all the time in the world then.

That amatorski through mogwai stretch on niels' list is exactly what I've been looking for as far as music for listening to at night at work while reading. I'm sure that you the last thing you expect me to say is I really enjoyed that part of the playlist, but I did.

Gump's Volume I was a blast. As for Volume II, I discovered a couple of songs I didn't know and like quite a bit, so thanks :up:

Niels, enjoyed how nice and chill your list was. Really had a nice flow going for the most part, a few strange transitions aside (Is it ever possible to move out of "When You Sleep"?)

A few songs I could have done without, especially the Haxan Cloak track, but there were a few bands I didn't know (Amatorski, dEUS) that I really enjoyed.

So I've been kinda heaps lax on this, but I'm listening to Tourist's right now and enjoying it a lot. Good variety, as expected from your prior lists - perhaps could use a little more focus and the hip-hop section was unfortunately brief, but the song choices were all great. Also the list is sorta named after my ultra favourite song ever, so that doesn't hurt matters. The Black Keys > Cults transition was a bit nutty but this Cults song is good stuff. Never checked them out before. Oh hey, Plotus Laza :heart:

Speaking of lists full of '12 songs, my list is painfully young. There are three songs from the seventies for some reason and the rest is all from the last decade. I nauseate myself. Hopefully the deja vu isn't too bad. God bless.

Okay, just got through gump's. I felt it had an extremely strong start and finish. Nightcall through All to All was brilliantly paced. Same with Eleanor to One Sunday Morning. The transition from Franz to Friedberger was so smooth, it felt like the former could have been a long introduction to the same song.

In terms of negatives, I wasn't a fan of that James Blake song and I don't like Adz-era Sufjan Stevens. So those two plus a couple other songs caused the middle to drag a bit for me. It was a great listen though!

Now to start my ultra-late look at Part 2. :lol:

Listened to the first half of Joey's list. I liked most of the songs on there. A few songs are some of my personal favorites of the past few years: Lights, Modern Man, The Birds. No complaints about the flow either. Overal a very solid list. Will listen to part 2 later today.

I liked part 2 more than part 1. The flow was even better with some very nice transitions. 17 Summers - Give Up the Ghost stood out to me in particular. Again, I liked most of the songs. I do feel the playlist could have used a few more uptempo tracks. I know that'd go against the concept but it would help to keep my attention at all times. But that's probably just me.

Didn't dig laz's second half as much as the first half. I may have taken a break in the middle of it to listen to the first part again before finishing the second. Still structured well, flows well, etc. just music-wise wasn't entirely my cup of tea.

Sort of felt the same way about iyup's. I can't hate on anything that includes any version of enjoy the silence, but at times it got way more dance-y than I can take (daft punk made me want to stab myself in the ears). Again, solid as hell. If it was music I actually liked, then I'd probably love it.

Back
Top Bottom