Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMacPhisto said:
Hmm, I usually start by getting a list of songs I really like, try and mix and match them into something listenable, trim the time and fat. and there you go, it's done.

I have an odd way of making a playlist. I can feel a place coming alive and sometimes that place is actually person. During this time period of making a playlist, I can feel certain moods or sounds starting to add up to something. I sort of have to figure out who or where this place is and more importantly where it is going. Suddenly, it all makes sense and playlist reveals itself. It is a process of creating a conduit into that place through your own emotions and the emotions of the songs and artists you use. :)

LemonMelon said:
Does that exist? :drool: :drool: :drool:

My regular karaoke haunt has "Creep" on the list. I would be surprised if there were any other Radiohead songs anyone would get up and sing in front of a crowd.

Screwtape2 said:

I have an odd way of making a playlist. I can feel a place coming alive and sometimes that place is actually person. During this time period of making a playlist, I can feel certain moods or sounds starting to add up to something. I sort of have to figure out who or where this place is and more importantly where it is going. Suddenly, it all makes sense and playlist reveals itself. It is a process of creating a conduit into that place through your own emotions and the emotions of the songs and artists you use. :)

That shit is deep. :up:

I loved your list, it hits all of the flow/mood stuff perfectly, but it's a little too down for me.

It's like the Schindler's List of playlists. Sure it's fucking amazing, but I don't have it in me to watch it all the time, you know?

I have four songs with place names in them, but no Baltimore. If I would've had to choose a Baltimore song, it would've been Counting Crows' Raining in Baltimore, but lately I've started to realize I should be embarrassed that I own so many Counting Crows albums.

Here's how I make a playlist, or, rather, playlist making for dummies:

1. Take an inventory of what music you own or have on your computer.

2. In alphabetical order, pick one song from each artist.

3. Put them in a row and start removing the songs you don't care much for until you get it down to 2 hours and 40 minutes.

4. Put the songs you have in a proper order.

The end.

How about "Tarzan Boy" by Baltimora?

:wink:

I have 3 Counting Crows albums. I don't like them consistently and often want to punch Adam Duritz in the throat to make him stop whining/singing, but there's at least one song I really love on each of the albums I own.

I think I own them all, except for the greatest hits one. The live album was really unnecessary except for the hidden track on the unplugged disc. Of the others, there's probably enough for two full albums of great songs, and a lot of leftover songs about Adam Duritz's inability to sleep.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
...and a lot of leftover songs about Adam Duritz's inability to sleep.

:lmao:

I took the "pick songs that show who you are" kind of idea and ran with it as a starting point for my list. It was easy to pick songs I loved, but wanted to put them into a kind of cohesive order that would show different aspects of my personality.

Okay, not so much my personality, but the many moods of Alicia. Or something. :wink:

Please tell me the "getting down with my bad self" section is in this playlist.

LemonMacPhisto said:

It's like the Schindler's List of playlists. Sure it's fucking amazing, but I don't have it in me to watch it all the time, you know?

Remember what I said about Twin Peaks and how what made it great was that you couldn't watch it over and over? That really describes my playlist.

I know I must come off like a moody gothic kid but in actually I'm a shy midwestern teenager whose only black clothing consists of trackjackets and a Roger Waters tour t-shirt. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

I don't expect to. :shifty: Actually, I don't even expect your vote THIS time out, unless the person I'm going against has all top 40 hits or Radiohead karaoke tracks. :happy:

Actually, I'd prefer Radiohead karaoke tracks to the real deal as it's Yorke's strangled cat vocals that piss me off most about Radiohead.

Screwtape2 said:

Remember what I said about Twin Peaks and how what made it great was that you couldn't watch it over and over? That really describes my playlist.

I know I must come off like a moody gothic kid but in actually I'm a shy midwestern teenager whose only black clothing consists of trackjackets and a Roger Waters tour t-shirt. :wink:

I believe you. :wink:

I have all of Twin Peaks series (including the Pilot) on my computer, ready to watch, by the way.

Axver said:

Actually, I'd prefer Radiohead karaoke tracks to the real deal as it's Yorke's strangled cat vocals that piss me off most about Radiohead.

And his voice has only gotten more annoying over the years.

I'm a big fan, but I must admit that Thom hasn't had a really great voice since 1999 or so. :(

Even though Thom has a godawful voice, the way he uses it makes Radiohead interesting. It's used as an instrument to the music, and not put at the forefront, which is not only unique but smart, because his voice sucks.

Imagine how much better Coldplay would be if they did that.

Screwtape2 said:

I imagine I come off like some pretentious prick with hair halfway down his back who lives in a shack in deepest, darkest New Zealand beside a railway line and spends all day playing guitar and reading obscure literature.

... that doesn't sound all bad, you know.

Oh, and Screwtape, I think you come across as artsy and cultured.

Last edited:
Axver said:
I imagine I come off like some pretentious prick with hair halfway down his back who lives in a shack in deepest, darkest New Zealand beside a railway line and spends all day playing guitar and reading obscure literature.
:lol: wow, is your hair really that long now? last time i saw a pic you were sporting a mini-afro.

corianderstem said:

I'm up against BonoIsMyMuse? You're pitting me against my friend? :(

:shifty:

You're goin' DOWN, M. :wink:

(I kid. I know you'll have a really cool one.)

Am I not your friend. I am cry :scream: :sad:

I go out for a few hours, and I have about 9 pages to catch up on!

I wonder what songs you were referring to Khanada :hmm:

KhanadaRhodes said:

they're both on :) which songs i don't know yet. i dunno how everyone else does it, but i just sit down and start writing down bands i'd put on a compilation such as this and go from there.

and ooh, a pre-tournament sounds fun! :)

Kinda what I did last night, but haven't progressed at all from there. :shrug:

KhanadaRhodes said:

:lol: wow, is your hair really that long now? last time i saw a pic you were sporting a mini-afro.

I wish! :(

I CAN'T grow it long like that. It just curls up into afro insanity. See the photos on my LJ for what it looks like at the moment - long, but not quite what it was last year. I want a haircut because I'm sick of how thick it is.

Axver said:

Oh, and Screwtape, I think you come across as artsy and cultured.

Thank you. :)

Here is the schedule.

Round 1
GG vs. Lancemc
Phanan vs. Screwtape
Angelordevil vs. AtomicBono
Bono's Lemon vs. LemonMelon

Axver vs. InMyPlace13
KhanadaRhodes vs. LJT
BonoIsMyMuse vs. Corianderstem
Edge_2125 vs. HardyHarHar/Lila

Round 2