Desert Island 2.5: Prog Island Album Game Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If nobody else wants the eighth spot, I'll take it. :shifty:

1. Green Carnation: Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness (60:06)
2. Dream Theater: Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (live) (41:30)
3. Porcupine Tree: Moonloop (40:07)

:drool:

But please, don't put me in the same group as that Axver guy. As much as I hate him, I don't want to make him feel bad by trouncing his pathetic tracklist.

all the setlists but GG's are pathetic... :love:

wait... Brain Damage/Eclipse is prog? :scratch:

my VAST knowledge refers to Metropolis I... and that's all :wave:

I intend on actually downloading these playlists and checking them out. I couldn't join though...my knowledge of prog is limited to Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Spock's Beard, and Porcupine Tree. :slant:

LemonMelon said:
I intend on actually downloading these playlists and checking them out. I couldn't join though...my knowledge of prog is limited to Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Spock's Beard, and Porcupine Tree. :slant:

My hope is that these playlists introduce a few people to artists that are criminally unheard of. I think most people will be shocked by how diverse the genre is.

pepokiss said:
all the setlists but GG's are pathetic... :love:

Uh, no. Sorry to disappoint, but everyone else involved with this game is going to have great tracklists. Hell, I owe virtually all of my appreciation of post-1979 prog to Axver! If you're going to vote, please vote on the tracklist you like most.

LemonMelon said:

Certainly nothing wrong with that. In fact, I have every single one of those artists on my playlist.

Screwtape2 said:

My hope is that these playlists introduce a few people to artists that are criminally unheard of. I think most people will be shocked by how diverse the genre is.

I'm very excited to learn. :hyper: There was a time when I LOVED prog. (my attention span was ridiculous then; I could listen to a 20 minute song and it felt like 3 minutes...now I can barely get through a U2 album without skipping around :| )When I heard Supper's Ready for the first time, it was amazing. It made me fall in love with the genre. I kind of lost track of it though as I got into more and more bands that were better known, and now my knowledge is thin. :(

LemonMelon said:

I'm very excited to learn. :hyper: There was a time when I LOVED prog. (my attention span was ridiculous then; I could listen to a 20 minute song and it felt like 3 minutes...now I can barely get through a U2 album without skipping around :| )When I heard Supper's Ready for the first time, it was amazing. It made me fall in love with the genre. I kind of lost track of it though as I got into more and more bands that were better known, and now my knowledge is thin. :(

We'll re-educate you. My cure for dealing with really long songs is to listen with headphones. On Supper's Ready for example, the song is continous so when you listen on headphones you catch the soft, beautiful stretches and how stunning each transition is. I like to think of the longer prog rock peices as little movies that need the listener to enter that mood or world.

Screwtape2 said:

We'll re-educate you. My cure for dealing with really long songs is to listen with headphones. On Supper's Ready for example, the song is continous so when you listen on headphones you catch the soft, beautiful stretches and how stunning each transition is. I like to think of the longer prog rock peices as little movies that need the listener to enter that mood or world.

I definitely agree. One of the things that is very important to note about prog is that its greatness is in the details; something that you hear especially well under headphones. The little things like the gorgeous little guitar licks during Moonchild that make its 12 minutes worth trudging through, the awesome instrumental breaks that seemingly come out of nowhere on Fragile, and so on.

LemonMelon said:

I definitely agree. One of the things that is very important to note about prog is that its greatness is in the details; something that you hear especially well under headphones. The little things like the gorgeous little guitar licks during Moonchild that make its 12 minutes worth trudging through, the awesome instrumental breaks that seemingly come out of nowhere on Fragile, and so on.

:yes: Prog records are the often the best produced records. Animals is probably the best example of the use of details. I love the sound of farm animals at the start of Sheep and the howling in the alley way in the middle of Dogs.

Screwtape2 said:

:yes: Prog records are the often the best produced records. Animals is probably the best example of the use of details. I love the sound of farm animals at the start of Sheep and the howling in the alley way in the middle of Dogs.

Aren't they? They also tend to be impeccably performed. I think that's what drew me towards bands like Yes and Steely Dan, there's strong songwriting and fantastic playing on their albums...it's really quite shocking if you listen to punk rock or other, simpler genres regularly.

While we're on the subject of Animals, I must say that it's very possibly my favorite Pink Floyd album and it's horribly underrated. Gilmour singlehandedly lifts it off the ground with his guitar playing, which is probably the best it ever was by this point.

I forgot to mention that I'm also big on Jethro Tull, and not just for Aqualung; I happen to prefer Thick As A Brick, which is living proof that flutes can rock (In The Court Of The Crimson King is also a good example :up: )

LemonMelon said:

Aren't they? They also tend to be impeccably performed. I think that's what drew me towards bands like Yes and Steely Dan, there's strong songwriting and fantastic playing on their albums...it's really quite shocking if you listen to punk rock or other, simpler genres regularly.

While we're on the subject of Animals, I must say that it's very possibly my favorite Pink Floyd album and it's horribly underrated. Gilmour singlehandedly lifts it off the ground with his guitar playing, which is probably the best it ever was by this point.

I forgot to mention that I'm also big on Jethro Tull, and not just for Aqualung; I happen to prefer Thick As A Brick, which is living proof that flutes can rock (In The Court Of The Crimson King is also a good example :up: )

I was also drawn into Prog by the production.

Animals is a fantastic record. *waiting for GG to post* Gilmour and Wright owned on that album. That album is one of the most unique musical experiences. It's a shame that they didn't pursue this sound.

I'm not a fan of Jethro Tull but I love the flute in Prog rock. If you love flutes that rock you'd love House Of The King, Birth and Hocus Pocus by Focus. :drool:

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
It's prog.

They're all going to be pathetic tracklists.

Funny, I seem to recall you enjoying Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream in an Album Listening Party.

Maybe you should listen to the playlists before you bash them.

LemonMelon said:

Great selection of bands there. :drool:

I'm convinced U2 fans would especially enjoy Spock's Beard. "Progressive pop" is probably a good label for a lot of their stuff, especially the amazing Day For Night album.

(Personally, I'm using Walking On The Wind from Beware Of Darkness in this tournament's tracklist.)

Screwtape2 said:

I was also drawn into Prog by the production.

Animals is a fantastic record. *waiting for GG to post* Gilmour and Wright owned on that album. That album is one of the most unique musical experiences. It's a shame that they didn't pursue this sound.

I'm not a fan of Jethro Tull but I love the flute in Prog rock. If you love flutes that rock you'd love House Of The King, Harem Scarem and Hocus Pocus by Focus. :drool:

I'll see what I can track down by these artists. Thanks for the recommendation. :up:

@ Axver: I was able to get my dad into Porcupine Tree. All I had to do was play him Blackest Eyes and bam, he's interested. Good music does that to people. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

I'll see what I can track down by these artists. Thanks for the recommendation. :up:

If you go after Focus, I strongly recommend that you first get Hamburger Concerto. You will not be disappointed. Foucs is sort of a cross between Genesis, Jethro Tull and King Crimson. As a guitar player, you will really appreciate Jan Akkerman.

For those of you who like your prog more seventies-y with non-traditional instruments and whatnot, and don't mind lyrics not in English, I urge you to check out the album Hybris by Sweden's Änglagård. It is AMAZING, possibly the best trad prog album of the nineties. It is so beautiful, truly. I unfortunately couldn't fit any of their material into my playlist, though I might still revise it yet.

LemonMelon said:
@ Axver: I was able to get my dad into Porcupine Tree. All I had to do was play him Blackest Eyes and bam, he's interested. Good music does that to people. :wink:

:up:

That is SUCH a good song too. I tend to use Piano Lessons and I've converted a few people to PT with that.

Have you heard the new album, Fear Of A Blank Planet? The song Anesthetize is a perfect 17.5 minute summary of everything PT is about. It was a very worthy recipient of a spot in my prog tracklist. And I'm cranking it right now. :drool:

Screwtape2 said:

If you go after Focus, I strongly recommend that you first get Hamburger Concerto. You will not be disappointed. Foucs is sort of a cross between Genesis, Jethro Tull and King Crimson. As a guitar player, you will really appreciate Jan Akkerman.

I'm downloading a torrent of the best of right now so I can see what they sound like. I'll check out the live album if I enjoy it. :up:

Axver said:

Have you heard the new album, Fear Of A Blank Planet? The song Anesthetize is a perfect 17.5 minute summary of everything PT is about. It was a very worthy recipient of a spot in my prog tracklist. And I'm cranking it right now. :drool:

I have heard all about it and it's available here on yahoo music, so I'll give it a listen ASAP. Unfortunately there's nothing earlier than In Absentia available, so I'll have to track the others down (EG: Lightbulb Sun) elsewhere.

BTW, though this may go a bit off the topic of prog (since we're not talking about Utopia), I'd like to say thanks again for the Rundgren records; Wizard is so awesome. :drool:

LemonMelon said:
BTW, though this may go a bit off the topic of prog (since we're not talking about Utopia), I'd like to say thanks again for the Rundgren records; Wizard is so awesome. :drool:

:up: I'm glad you liked them. Actually this isn't so off topic as I have a couple Todd songs on my playlist: Zen Archer and Initiation (from the Prog album of the same name.) I'd consider a lot of stuff on Todd prog and a couple tracks on Wizard prog as well. There are a couple Utopia tracks on my playlist too. If I can make at one Interferencer fall in love with music, my playlist will be a success.

Screwtape2 said:

:up: I'm glad you liked them. Actually this isn't so off topic as I have a couple Todd songs on my playlist: Zen Archer and Initiation (from the Prog album of the same name.) I'd consider a lot of stuff on Todd prog and a couple tracks on Wizard prog as well. There are a couple Utopia tracks on my playlist too. If I can make at one Interferencer fall in love with music, my playlist will be a success.

I have only heard of Utopia up to this point, including from my own father who saw them live (he commented that Rundgren's guitar playing was stellar). I agree that Zen Archer is pretty prog, as is Breathless. (I'm starting to see how broad prog actually is...I think even Funkadelic could qualify [another artist I adore] ) Rundgren made it on to my list for the next Desert Island game, but due to lack of time I could only fit I Saw The Light. :slant:

On the Focus front, I'm just skipping around. I loved the shredding guitar in Hocus Pocus, Harem has a great vibe, but I especially loved Janis; the bass line is killer and the flute compliments it surprisingly well. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom