Daddies gonna pay for your crashed car

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZooTv

Babyface
gday my fellow u2 lovers. Just thought i would drop u a line and see what u have to say about the song daddies gonna pay for your crashed car.

one of the reasons that i love u2 is there broad range of lyrics. One of them is relegion. And i think it comes out very strongly with the song crashed car. The song starts out with the line

"Your a precious stone, your out on your own"
Which to me sums up us as humans. He are very precious to god, but he lets us go on our own way to live life.

"you know everyone in the world but u feel alone"
You have heaps of friends but none of them really fulfil what u are looking for.

"Daddy won't let u weap, ache"
"daddy gives u as much as u can take"
Daddy (god) looks after u and won't let anything that u can't take get to u

"You cry for mama, dadies right along"
You cry for help, god is always there

"he gives u the keys to the flaming car"
He gies u life on the shit hole of a planet
"daddies with u wherever u are"
he is always there when u need him

"daddies your comforter"
"dadddies your best friend"
"daddies with u right up to the end"
Thats god allright.

The basiaclly the hole song, to me, is about jesus. He died on the cross for our fucked up lives.

Hence
"Daddies gonna pay for your crashed car"
Jesus is going to die for our fucked up lives

Anyway, i know that a lot of people won't agree with what i think the somg means but i would love to here other peoples opinions on the song and what it means to them so write back.

Cheers

ZooTv
I hope this shit works

Actually ZooTv, i think you may find a few people out there agreeing with your line of interpretation... My experience with U2 fans has been that people either see "daddy" as Jesus or as heroine. Quite a contrast there, I know, but perhaps not really. I think "Daddy's Gonna Pay.." is about an abuse of some sort--something you take advantage of for comfort.

This song, on a musical level, sounds very driven and hard-hitting. There's some sort of urgency here. This urgency is very important to the direction of the lyrics. If "daddy" is seen as a reference to Jesus, then I think a "crashed car" would be seen as your sins. This combined with that urgency would interpret into a thought that you can sin as you please, because Jesus is just going to pay for what you do anyway. "Daddy won't let you weep, daddy won't let you ache"--it's as if this person is using Jesus, counting on him to suffer for your sins, and not wanting any of the suffering for yourself.

Now, if you interpret "daddy" as heroine, then you'll really get a glimpse into the terrible dependency that follows addiction.

"He gives you the keys to a flaming car"
Dealing drugs will help to pay your debts.
(going back to the Jesus interpretation, this line would be a reference to heaven)

"Daddy won't let you weep, daddy won't let you ache"
Heroine, to an addict, becomes quite soothing--without it they ache.

I love how these lyrics are so versatile--I don't see either of these approaches as incorrect. Either way you look at it, this song is talking about dependency IMO.
smile.gif

i thought Daddy... was about materialism. you know, whatever you do, your rich Daddy will get you out of it...

I agree with Achtung Bebe
Zooropa is filled witg intruiging lyrics like Daddy's gonna pay...
That's one of the reasons I will never get tired of this magnificent album

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom