Crazy....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeuk

War Child
well let me be clear right away that this isn't my top song on NLOth, BUT i just think that Crazy might be (after a sales input from Magnificent) the best POP track on the CD _ that might make this album take off sales why to new fans !!?? As a fan since 82 I do think this is the track that will engage non-fans Mike:wave:

Not a fan of it particularly on the album but it's the one I keep going for in the car when I am 5 minutes from home. The song is full of joy.

One of the chief complaints by young uneducated music fans who haven't been exposed to the likes of, say, The Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby or Zooropa is that all U2 songs sound the same. Given the generic piece of crap that is Crazy Tonight could quite easily have featured on the previous two albums, it would be all the ammunition they need.

One of the chief complaints by young uneducated music fans who haven't been exposed to the likes of, say, The Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby or Zooropa is that all U2 songs sound the same. Given the generic piece of crap that is Crazy Tonight could quite easily have featured on the previous two albums, it would be all the ammunition they need.

And most of those complainers couldn't be convinced no matter what you played them. They just wanna hate U2. Why should U2 listen to them?

Given the generic piece of crap that is Crazy Tonight could quite easily have featured on the previous two albums, it would be all the ammunition they need.

I don't know...

By no means is this one of my favorite songs, but there's something about it...

It's not the direction I want U2 to go, but it is something a little different for them. This IS U2 writing an unapologetic pop song, but in the vein of 60's pop... I don't think it's as generic as some people claim.

I don’t ever specifically go to it for a listen, but it doesn’t bother me. It’s breezy and done well enough. The sound and feel fit the album and at a surface level it can fit the theme of it too – a lot more than the two immediately after it anyway. Soul-less and forgettable for me, but if you’re doing superficial pop, that’s what you get. I suspect I’m like many others who were greatly won over to it by the Letterman performance – it will kill it live.

It sounds really nice on the Vinyl version of the album. Actually the entire record sounds better on the Vinyl version.

I also really enjoy it live as well.

Important to consider its place on the album. It follows the mega-epic Edge going into hyperspace ending to Unknown Caller. As a follow up to this it is the perfect 'let down' moment.

More generally I think the order of the songs on NLOTH is perfect and this is an example of why.

it's a great semi-positive poprock song, which is perfect for spring and summer radio play. good for them. there has to be one radio friendly song on the album, come on haters, get over it. it's a fun song.

Like the song, just wish the "it's a hill not a mountain" were a bit more alliterative and flowed off the tongue a little better. Seems sluggish to me. My favorite song on the album (Winter), isn't even on the album.

I shown the song a phew of my mates from school, who arnt massive u2 fans, but like the odd tune, and they said its crap, me though i love it, ever since the 40second clips, but i hope it grows on my mates, as i know its a tune.

I’m betting it will be a single, but it won’t be a very big one. At all. Having said that, considering that it is approximately 1000x better live than on the record, if they know that, I’d bet it will be the live video single (there’s always one), and that will ‘sell’ the tour very well. Hopefully they use a good live take, not just the studio version over live footage.

That sounds like a great idea, live it definately took off.

I may be biased because I'm learning this song now, but I still love it. And Adam's work is superb! So many little things out of the ordinary!

Like the song, just wish the "it's a hill not a mountain" were a bit more alliterative and flowed off the tongue a little better.

Hmmm... That's actually my favorite part of the song.

Anyway, I don't see this as being the breakthrough single of the album. I like it OK, but it seems too U2-by-the-numbers to get much chart attention.

I don't know...

By no means is this one of my favorite songs, but there's something about it...

It's not the direction I want U2 to go, but it is something a little different for them. This IS U2 writing an unapologetic pop song, but in the vein of 60's pop... I don't think it's as generic as some people claim.

Agree with this. It is a great song and not as U2 standard as some people think. Like you, I cant put my finger on it entirely but I knew before I heard this song I would love it. It does sound as if it has been around for years, in a good way.

I like what you said earlier about "why should U2 listen to these complainers." Doctorwho posts here alot and always makes this following point: say whatever you want about BD and Vertigo, but they didn't sound like anything on the radio at the time. I, seemingly like you, dont think U2 is just playing safe for the mainstream, it is just that the mainstream is alot more desperate for something good to break in amidst Katy Perry and Britney Spears and Jonas Bros that they promote U2 big time. All of these people who think all U2 songs sound the same have obviously not thought that through too much. Just going by the hits- I will follow, NYD,SBS, Pride, Streets, Still Havent found, WOWY, AOH, Desire, Mysterious Ways, One, EBTTRT, Discoteque, BD, Stuck, Elevation, Vertigo, COBL- alot of different sounds just in that group.

CT and Magnificent would sell the album very well, and it has been my opinion for a while that Crazy Tonight would be a #1 hit.

Crazy Tonight would not be a hit of any sorts. That's not a knock on the song, just a judgement of it vs what charts. It would be a competent 3rd or 4th single that gets a little bit of airplay and extends the album/tour sales pitch, but not much more. A spectacular live video would help with that too. A big hit, let alone a #1 hit? No chance.

just can't get into the 'riverdance' or 'dave mathews' guitar solo....for me, it is the weakest part of the album. i am not the type of fan who cares whether u2 singles chart or position- i loved miss sarajevo & don't recall it even charting the US (but i could be wrong). don't get me wrong, i'd rather turn on the radio & hear u2, clash or radiohead over most of the top 40 wallpaper that is commonly played, but chart success does not make me like a song any more or less.

i deeply respect the work on NLOTH, but i think an alternative guitar solo song would have been far more engaging...i love the falsetto & lyrics but the edge's solo sounds almost generic if not cheesy.

curious to know whether anyone else dislikes that guitar solo???

with that said, COL is pure genius !

just can't get into the 'riverdance' or 'dave mathews' guitar solo....for me, it is the weakest part of the album. i am not the type of fan who cares whether u2 singles chart or position- i loved miss sarajevo & don't recall it even charting the US (but i could be wrong). don't get me wrong, i'd rather turn on the radio & hear u2, clash or radiohead over most of the top 40 wallpaper that is commonly played, but chart success does not make me like a song any more or less.

i deeply respect the work on NLOTH, but i think an alternative guitar solo song would have been far more engaging...i love the falsetto & lyrics but the edge's solo sounds almost generic if not cheesy.

curious to know whether anyone else dislikes that guitar solo???

with that said, COL is pure genius !

Well, then you have not suffered through a Dave Matthews show then. A Dave Matthews show is 3 hrs of crap, didnt even know there were any kind of solos involved. Crazy Tonight is a right down the middle Edge guitar solo than enhances the song greatly without taking over. Nothing more, nothing less.

Crazy Tonight would not be a hit of any sorts. That's not a knock on the song, just a judgement of it vs what charts. It would be a competent 3rd or 4th single that gets a little bit of airplay and extends the album/tour sales pitch, but not much more. A spectacular live video would help with that too. A big hit, let alone a #1 hit? No chance.

No chance, well thats your opinion and you have mine, so we will wait and see. I'm telling you, this song catches people who hear it. Whether its the best or not, its a sure fire radio hit, big time, at least here in the US.

Plus, you come into this discussion with your well known biases against 5-6-7, still more interesting than anything on HTDAAB and I love that album, especially COBL, OOTS and Crumbs.

Hmmm... That's actually my favorite part of the song..

Don't get me wrong. Clearly, that is the biggest hook in the song. I love it! I just think Bono could've chosen more alliterative, less cliche words that had the same meaning but roll of the tongue better.

Don't get me wrong. Clearly, that is the biggest hook in the song. I love it! I just think Bono could've chosen more alliterative, less cliche words that had the same meaning but roll of the tongue better.

Are you sure you mean alliteration, the repetition of a given sound in a sequence, as in mediaeval English poetry? that would sound quite shocking and old, old fashion, don't you think?

On the other hand, I think the song is not the best in the album, but it mantains quite a good level and sounds a bit lighter than most of the others, which, in my opinion, helps to get the album together and adds some more colour to it.

Plus, you come into this discussion with your well known biases against 5-6-7, still more interesting than anything on HTDAAB and I love that album, especially COBL, OOTS and Crumbs.

I wasn't making a judgement on the song, more a judgement on the charts of today. I don't mind Crazy Tonight at all. I'm not a huge fan of U2 doing base level pop, but this is certainly one of the better examples of it this decade - and it is the track off this album that most ends up stuck in my head. I absolutely loved it on Letterman - the best of those performances IMO. And my beef with tracks 5-7 isn't with the songs (well, there is SUC), just more about them as a block together in the middle.

It's not a knock to say that Crazy Tonight won't be a big hit. Considering what you generally need to be a big hit these days its almost a compliment. Maybe they should have included a little break down in the middle "To-night is bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S! Crazy fucking bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!"

I wasn't making a judgement on the song, more a judgement on the charts of today. I don't mind Crazy Tonight at all. I'm not a huge fan of U2 doing base level pop, but this is certainly one of the better examples of it this decade - and it is the track off this album that most ends up stuck in my head. I absolutely loved it on Letterman - the best of those performances IMO. And my beef with tracks 5-7 isn't with the songs (well, there is SUC), just more about them as a block together in the middle.

It's not a knock to say that Crazy Tonight won't be a big hit. Considering what you generally need to be a big hit these days its almost a compliment. Maybe they should have included a little break down in the middle "To-night is bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S! Crazy fucking bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!"

Haha, ok. I see what you are saying. Yes, not being on the charts is a compliment when Britney is hovering near the top.

I guess I just think/hope that this could make a break through in this age of crap.

Are you sure you mean alliteration, the repetition of a given sound in a sequence, as in mediaeval English poetry? that would sound quite shocking and old, old fashion, don't you think?

On the other hand, I think the song is not the best in the album, but it mantains quite a good level and sounds a bit lighter than most of the others, which, in my opinion, helps to get the album together and adds some more colour to it.

Well, you've got the definition right, but alliteration isn't restricted to medieval, England or even poetry. It's used everywhere from rock and roll to hip hop to public speaking. For example, there's a great line in Stand Up Comedy: "the DNA lotto may'a left you smart." The words hit the melody right between the eyes. And the repeated "A" and "L" sounds give the singer audible punctuation marks on the beat. Another example, think of the cold, almost coughing "K" sound in "in a parked car/in a crowded street/you see your love made complete...love is clockworks and cold steel." Think of the hissing sounds in "I lifted some stones and saw the skin and bones of a city without a soul."

"It's not a hill, it's a mountain" is a soaring melody. I'm just saying that it deserves better words.

Back
Top Bottom