Consider this, consider this, testje of the century

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, hi :wave:

Tonight the flights were booked for Spain, actually.

Leave Belfast 21st Sept at 6.15 in the morning. We leave London for Spain at 10am. I will go to Madrid for a 3 day course on 28th and my placement starts on October 3rd. I would have been nervous about two flights before but I have been flying quite a bit this year and now feel like an expert at it. On the way to Amsterdam I did leave my passport in the shop at the airport and got called to airport information to collect it. It is a bad sign that I was excited and thought I had won some sort of prize. :uhoh:

It's just over 3 weeks away.

I am not prepared at all. I have so much to do and my schools have not been of much help, I keep asking when my first day will be and about my timetable. It is important that I know this before I leave and this week will have to put my Spanish to the test and start phoning them.

Last edited:
Hi April, I am great, how are you??

Hi Dandy, I am still in Belfast. How's the new house/flat? :wave:

Lara Mullen said:
Hi, hi :wave:

Tonight the flights were booked for Spain, actually.

Leave Belfast 21st Sept at 6.15 in the morning. We leave London for Spain at 10am. I will go to Madrid for a 3 day course on 28th and my placemetn starts on October 3rd.

6.15! :yikes:
You have my sympathies. :hug:

I am not prepared at all. I have so much to do and my schools have not been of much help, I keep asking when my first day will be and about my timetable. It is important that I know this before I leave and this week will have to put my Spanish to the test and start phoning them.

I'm sure you'll do excellent in Spanish.
Two weeks ago, when it was my last day in Brussels (for the moment that is, as I'm going again tomorrow for the rest of the week) we saw some big groups of Spanish people with flags. Now, even after 2 1/2 months, my French was/is abysmal. I can understand it a wee little bit, but not speak at all. Or I have to repeat the line (and I can only think of very simple sentences) 4 times in my head before uttering it. Still, when I talked to someone in that group in Spanish, it went pretty good. Even though I hadn't spoken Spanish for a year or so.
And yes, this was after a few glasses of wine. :D Still, it went pretty good. So I'm sure you'll do excellent! :hug:

My dutch has been coming along nicely lately, Marty. It's much improved than it was when I saw you in A'dam. One day I will come to Utrecht and dazzle you. :D I have decided I will master it as my 4th language some day. Thanks for the postcard, btw. I think I did send you a text about it though.

I think I have to get up around 4am to make it to the airport. :crack:

The only difficult thing is I will be living English speakers and I could also be living with a girl in my class (we are teaching at schools beside each other) so it could be easy to fall into the trap of not practising my Spanish. I will really have to make an effort to get out by myself and try speaking it each day.

6.15 am flights

:crack:

laura, i'm sure you'll do fantastic in spain. with the culture all around you, your mind will soak it up like a sponge. i'm so excited for you!

:up:

the new place is fabulous--it's huge and comfy and smells like fresh baked bread all the time. i'm settled in and almost sleeping through the night now!

:yay:

Lara Mullen said:
My dutch has been coming along nicely lately, Marty. It's much improved than it was when I saw you in A'dam. One day I will come to Utrecht and dazzle you. :D I have decided I will master it as my 4th language some day.

:applaud:

I'm still stunned about it (yes, even after all this time). I do think it's cool though. Unfortunately, I didn't hear you speak Dutch in Amsterdam. So you have to come to Utrecht (soon? :hyper: ) and dazzle me. :D

Thanks for the postcard, btw. I think I did send you a text about it though.

Yes you did and thank you for that one (the text message). I know receiving cards is cheering everyone up. :)

I think I have to get up around 4am to make it to the airport. :crack:

No comment. Just :crack:

The only difficult thing is I will be with someone who speaks English and I could also be living with a girl in my class (we are teaching at schools beside each other) so it could be easy to fall into the trap of not practising my Spanish. I will really have to make an effort to get out by myself and try speaking it each day.

Try to make it a house rule as soon as possible only to speak Spanish in your house/appartment/place-where-you-stay. And then try to keep to it. Even when the other one can speak English try to adhere to Spanish. It will be difficult in the beginning, but it will pay off. Even when you're struggling and at loss for words, thinking about it (and maybe explaining the word you're looking for to the other person) will improve your language skills.

:hug:

dandy said:
the new place is fabulous--it's huge and comfy and smells like fresh baked bread all the time. i'm settled in and almost sleeping through the night now!

:yay:

Fresh baked bread! :drool:

I live near a coffee factory. And yes, I don't like coffee as a drink, but those burned coffee beans do smell delicious. It has become my 'home smell'. When I drive past that factory and smell the burned coffee beans, I know I'm home.
:happy:

I got help with that Dutch, there is a great website I found with lots of phrases, I don't really know very much :lol:

I can't really force the people I am living with to speak Spanish if they don't know it though :lol:
I am sure it will all be okay though. I can do intercambios - where you speak English for half of the time, Spanish for the other - as a way or improving my spanish (and meeting new folk)

It sounds lovely, Dandy. I'd love to live in a house that smells of fresh bread.

I am working in Spain. I will teach English in a high school and in a language school for adults for around 12 - 18 hours per week.

The rest of my time will be devoted to travelling, improving my Spanish, etc.

I am a final year student now, well I will be when I get back. This is a kind of gap year.

Now, I have to leave again

I caught a nasty cold this weekend and am feeling a bit tired and groggy.

I shall pop in again soon. I spend a lot of my time online trawling through websites about living in a foreign country and trying to track my schools down. :crack:

:wave:

i'm kicking my ass for not doing something similar when i was an undergrad. you don't realize then that the opportunities seem to disappear with graduation.

:envious:

travelling around spain

:drool:

Lara Mullen said:
I can't really force the people I am living with to speak Spanish if they don't know it though :lol:

What are they doing in Spain then? :scratch: Especially in the inlands (i.e. not at the east coast, which is aimed at tourists from all over Europe, but especially Dutchies ( :crack: ) and the English). Not that many speak English (or English well) in Spain. The country is more oriented on South America.

:shrug:

:hug:

Lara Mullen said:
I got help with that Dutch, there is a great website I found with lots of phrases, I don't really know very much :lol:

I am sure it will all be okay though. I can do intercambios - where you speak English for half of the time, Spanish for the other - as a way or improving my spanish (and meeting new folk)

It sounds lovely, Dandy. I'd love to live in a house that smells of fresh bread.
Send the link to ABEL. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom