College Football 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did anyone catch ESPN 's montage last night of the pure evil that Johnny Football represents? It was a laugh I desperately needed.

Did anyone catch ESPN 's montage last night of the pure evil that Johnny Football represents? It was a laugh I desperately needed.

ESPN is a disgrace. For a "news" organization who single handedly destroyed the Big East and bastardized the ACC all in the name of billions of dollars in football TV money to try and make a 20 year old who signed a few autographs out as the evil one is just splendid.

ESPN isn't even pretending to be a news organization anymore. Pulling out of the concussion feature they were doing with PBS is the most blatant statement of that.

Tebow's life after football updates will be ESPN's bread-and-butter.

I love Manziel's game. And I love that he's partying it up and having a good time despite the moronic media trying to make him out as some moral heathen. But as far as his behavior on the field, it's always been shitty. Two separate issues.

I don't mind celebrations in the least. But taunting is for assholes. If your play can't speak for itself, then you're either not that great or (in Manziel's case) just a fucking dick.

I love Manziel's game. And I love that he's partying it up and having a good time despite the moronic media trying to make him out as some moral heathen. But as far as his behavior on the field, it's always been shitty. Two separate issues.

I don't mind celebrations in the least. But taunting is for assholes. If your play can't speak for itself, then you're either not that great or (in Manziel's case) just a fucking dick.

:up:

I thought telling the guy who wouldn't sign an autograph for him was hysterical. And the money thing has been his move since last year, as was pointed out.

No one player is bigger than any team, organization, school, etc. Johnny Manziel has more God given athletic talent in his left ear than I probably have in my entire body, no doubt about it. On the football field he's an absolute stud, a study, gives opposing coaches and Defenses nightmares, heartburn, etc.

I realize he is only 20 years old, but still, at some point you have to grow up & act like the leader of your team, not some cunt-hole Justin Bieber wannabe pissing on your own image, school, and surrounding yourself with enablers, pimps, and asshole lickers.

I mean, moderation, Johnny, ever heard of it? With everything that went on this summer, it would have been easy for Johnny Football Hero to come out onto the field, as U2DMfan said, and just let his play speak for itself. They were playing an inferior opponent, no need to showboat or act like roses grow from your anus.

Before someone says, "But he's only a kid, he's only 20" let me point out that there are a lot of 20 year old Americans right now who would die for the opportunities Manziel has had. Some of those 20 year olds will be putting their lives on the line for their country instead, in some faraway land, but they will do so with more class and dignity in their left ear than this fucker has in his entire body or soul.

That said, go ahead and taunt your opposing team, Johnny, youre a hero to people who like that kind of stuff. And when the Alabama Defense (or whomever) rips your fucking leg off, im going to be watching it from behind my flat screen, this year or whenever it happens, with the same indifference ill have when Justin Bieber wraps his Ferrari around a telephone pole.

All things considered Johnny Manziel is the kind of player whom I normally loathe.

But as he's become sort of the torch bearer over the hypocrisy of the NCAA and national media... I love him... if only because his own douchebaggery is exposing the even greater douchebaggery of the NCAA and ESPN.

Fight the real enemy.

Johnny Manziel doesn't owe anyone anything. If his teammates and coaches can deal with it, we should all be able to as well.

Johnny Manziel doesn't owe anyone anything. If his teammates and coaches can deal with it, we should all be able to as well.

Id say he owes something to his team, his coaches, and perhaps the fans of Texas A&M. There is no "I" in team, afterall, and this guy is getting one hell of an opportunity that millions would love to have. Instead of playing with the class his organization deserves, he apparently hasn't learned anything from his mistakes and seems hell-bent to continue on doing whatever he pleases.

I'm not so sure the teammates and coaches can deal with it for much longer, as the comments made by the A&M coach after the game would indicate he wasn't too pleased:

"That wasn't very smart. That's why he didn't go back in the game either," Sumlin said. "You would hope at this point, you'd learn something from that. We're still working on that. He wasn't going back in the game no matter what was happening."

I'm honestly amazed people would defend this guy. I've talked to a couple of A&M alumns who are quite sick of it all. If this keeps going, the distractions might literally tear the team apart, which would not be good. Anyway, to each their own, I suppose. We do seem to live in a society where good deeds are not as exciting as bad behavior. Myself, as a kid I was a fan of John McEnroe, who was quite the poster boy for bad behavior on the the tennis court. Manziel for President someday, I guess.

He wasn't pleased that he did something that hurt the team. He got a penalty. No one would argue that he should have done that. And I think if you read my statement, it was implicit that the only people he does owe something to are his teammates and coaches.

But people are making a fuss about so many more things than that one penalty that don't matter at all. And he doesn't owe us college football fans a thing, including the A&M fans. Why would he owe them anything?

I remember when players started transferring from Penn State after the sanctions hit and Penn State fans thought they were disloyal and owed the fans more. Especially Silas Redd, there are people who still won't let that one go. I thought they were all nuts. No college athlete owes a thing to the fans.

I think a university player who is garnering a good deal from other students tuition payments owes their fellow students and alumni something.

Student tuition does not pay for athletic scholarships.

I didn't specify athletic scholarships (not that I buy what you're saying there), I'm talking about everything. You're not going to tell me that some students should be allowed to behave differently than other students, are you? Do you really think that's OK? I'm not asking if you think it doesn't happen, I'm asking if you think it's acceptable.

This is the same argument that people in the other place are making for why U2 never needs to make another album...that they don't "owe" their fans anything. Find this patently ridiculous. Who gave them the money they have in the first place, before all of their investments and bloated egos? To me, at least, if your job is to make music, and I'm basically the one paying you to do it, you DO owe it to me to do your job. If you quit, then say so.

I'm not meaning to get off topic, in my mind this all adds up. Johnny "football" is a student at Texas A&M. As a student at Texas A&M he's supposed to follow certain rules and act like a part of the student body/community. Everyone else is expected to. Otherwise, he's letting down his fellow students and the people who pay their good money to see him play or that they donated to his school in order to provide him and his teammates with the means to play the game.

Just my opinion, illuminati-free.

I was only responding to Peefs assertion that a college athlete does not owe anyone anything.

What rules has he broken, though? Aside from the penalty in Saturday's game, pretty much the entire conversation has been about vague things like "getting it" and how he "carries himself." I'm not suggesting he should be allowed to break rules, so let's separate that discussion from his behavior right off the bat.

I think the whole thing is a media-created mess. He's still an excellent football player who is passionate about the game. What more do the fans want? They want him to stay sober? Bullshit. No one else in college football is held up to that standard. I know. I, like many other college students, have been out drinking with athletes. Everyone does it. Who gives a flying fuck about him being hungover one time this summer? Sure, it was a dick move to those kids, but did it deserve the national outrage that it got on ESPN's family of networks? Hell no.

So, my question is, what's the issue here? What is he doing that's so different from other college athletes? Isn't the only issue here the media portrayal of what he's doing?

And one of my big projects as an undergrad was a research article about university finances. Athletic budgets are, for the large part, wholly separate from normal university budgets. So unless Texas A&M is bucking the trend, it's not a matter of whether you buy my argument or not. Athletics are spending separately from the rest of the university. They have their own budgets. TV contracts that the SEC are a part of don't fund teacher salaries or new classrooms, and student tuition payments don't pay for athletic scholarships.

He's a douchebag. If you don't care, cool. I do. Being an immature douchebag with terrible work ethic is something associated with Ryan Leaf. I'd rather Manziel not go that route. He really doesn't seem to give a shit about anything, which has a very small window of being OK.

The "he's just being demonized by ESPN" argument works for now, but consider how much brighter the lights are going to get. If he's already drawing all of this negative attention, it's only going to get worse. It's his responsibility to whatever team he ends up with to not allow that to be a distraction.

He's going to be fun to watch for many years to come if he makes the necessary adjustments. If he doesn't, we'll get a year or two more out of him, then a lot of irritating overexposure for nothing.

There's an article from over a year ago where his coach praises his work ethic. After months of needless bullshit, however, I think everyone is within their rights to question his priorities. And no, I'm not talking about being hungover once. If he has such an unbridled passion for football, why ever put that in jeopardy?

Back
Top Bottom