College Football 2006-2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't deny that Quinn will go ahead of Smith; what I deny is that he will be a better professional quarterback than Smith. I haven't seen anything out of Quinn that has really impressed me, and on top of that, NFL executives have been known to err rather conspicuously regarding college quarterbacks. Imagine if Quinn goes to Oakland, as everyone seemed to think before Russell announced that he was entering the draft. Does anyone really think that he can succeed in that situation? The whole scenario reminds me of Tim Couch in Cleveland, and we all know how that ended.

U2ME3 said:

Never said he would. I just think he'll get drafted by end of second round.

I doubt it. I know I'm not the only one who has noticed that Troy Smith makes panic throws when he gets rushed. He made several such throws against Michigan, and his outing against Florida shows that it's not an aberration (although the Ohio State offensive line should bear most of the blame for the loss).

Troy Smith doesn't measure up to NFL standards in either the physical or mental department. He's a marginal prospect at best.

to me troy smith is charlie ward part deux.

now i will admit i thought vince young would be a bust in the NFL, but at least young is HUGE. smith is tiny. he rushes his throws when facing pressure, and that's all he's gonna see in the NFL.

second day pick, nfl non factor. so says headache kiper jr.

speedracer said:

...Troy Smith makes panic throws when he gets rushed. He made several such throws against Michigan....

Yeah.... Smith sure panicked alot against tsun. He owned them!

Troy Smith v. tsun

13-23 241 yds 2 Td 0 Int

27-37 300 yds 1 Td 0 Int

29-41 316 yds 4 Td 1 Int

69-101 857 yds 7 Td 1 Int

speedracer said:

Troy Smith doesn't measure up to NFL standards in either the physical or mental department.

I understand that you think physically he might not be the right height or weight for the NFL scouts/coaches/teams BUT please enlighten me on why he doesn't measure up in the mental department?

Thanks.

Last edited:
At least Troy Smith showed up for some big games, the same can't be said for Brady Quinn.

webproduct%20shot%20copy.jpg

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i just don't understand how people can think that a QB from a team that primarily runs the option will transfer well to the NFL.

who do you speak of?

U2ME3 said:

Yeah.... Smith sure panicked alot against tsun. He owned them!

He also committed three turnovers against Michigan, allowing them to get back in the game. (Two of them were fumbles that were aided by bad shotgun snaps, but no way should he not be able to recover the ball.)

The interception he threw against Florida was pretty horrendous. Pass rush comes, Troy Smith chucks the ball somewhere down the left side of the field without really looking. There were several throws like that in both the Michigan and Florida games that didn't result in interceptions.

Last edited:
inmyplace13 said:
I honestly don't think I'm excited about any of these BCS matchups, and I'm not just saying that because Texas isn't in the mix.

Michigan/USC is a toss up
blOU over Boise State
Louisville over Wake
LSU over ND
OSU over UF

Michigan/USC will be the best game of the bunch.

Well my predictions sucked, but at least my prediction of only one game worth watching was correct. Too bad I didn't correctly guess which game it would be.

speedracer said:

He also committed three turnovers against Michigan, allowing them to get back in the game. (Two of them were fumbles that were aided by bad shotgun snaps, but no way should he not be able to recover the ball.)

The interception he threw against Florida was pretty horrendous. Pass rush comes, Troy Smith chucks the ball somewhere down the left side of the field without really looking. There were several throws like that in both the Michigan and Florida games that didn't result in interceptions.

I'm sorry I just don't see that as the case. I watched everyone second of every Ohio State game either in person or on tv and I just disagree with you. True, the interception last night was not good. But, if you look at that play again, there was a receiver there and Smith overthrew him. That might have been because there was a huge Fla. player ready to send him into next week.

If Troy Smith as you say, just chucked the ball down field when he got pressured, he would have thrown a lot more than just 13 interceptions in 670 attempts in his career at OSU. He would not have been the starting QB for the Buckeyes either. Jim Tressel would have seen to that.

Last edited:
speedracer:

"..Troy Smith doesn't measure up to NFL standards in either the physical or mental department."

U2ME3 said:

I understand that you think physically he might not be the right height or weight for the NFL scouts/coaches/teams BUT please enlighten me on why he doesn't measure up in the mental department?

Thanks.

still waiting.

Last edited:
U2ME3 said:

I'm sorry I just don't see that as the case. I watched everyone second of every Ohio State game either in person or on tv and I just disagree with you. True, the interception last night was not good. But, if you look at that play again, there was a receiver there and Smith overthrew him. That might have been because there was a huge Fla. player ready to send him into next week.

If Troy Smith as you say, just chucked the ball down field when he got pressured, he would have thrown a lot more than just 13 interceptions in 670 attempts in his career at OSU. He would not have been the starting QB for the Buckeyes either. Jim Tressel would have seen to that.

Smith was pretty clearly hoping to hit the guy going deep down the sideline (who wasn't open anyway), not the slot receiver (who hadn't even started to make a cut yet and didn't even look for the ball until it was over his head). He rushed his throw off his back foot, got no juice on it, and it was an easy interception. And there were several other plays like this that didn't result in turnovers but were still awful.

Suffice it to say that Troy Smith looked great against weak Big Ten competition when he could sit back and pick apart the defense (he took a total of 14 sacks during the regular season), but he looked awful against a top-flight defense like Florida's. Good NFL QBs don't make these kind of mental mistakes.

Re: 13 interceptions in 670 attempts: that's pretty good, but not exceptional considering that 50% of the games on a top college team's schedule are gimmes. By comparison, Brady Quinn threw 14 interceptions over 900+ attempts in the last two years playing a tougher schedule and in a higher-risk offense, and people are still getting on his case for not performing well under pressure.

Last edited:
Pete Carroll to Miami Dolphins......?
(asshole!)

He did a Q&A on the local ESPN radio station and continually referenced how nice its "been" at USC...Its "been" a wonderful experience, yada, yada fucking yada!

Hell, he just got one of the Arkansas wide-outs to defect to 'SC and now, he's gone! :prick:

(if its wrong, I take it all back! :evil: )

"Carroll says Huizenga has unique ideas for NFL owner"

By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
January 9, 2007

Pete Carroll, University of Southern California's football coach, exits a news conference Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2007, in Los Angeles.
AP - Jan 9, 8:21 pm EST
More Photos

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Pete Carroll says he's committed to staying at Southern California, but the coach of the Trojans seems intrigued by how Wayne Huizenga runs the Miami Dolphins.

Carroll said Tuesday that he met with the Miami owner for about four hours in Costa Rica over the weekend. The Dolphins have been without a head coach since Nick Saban left to take the Alabama job last week.

"This was the one instance I've come in contact with that has all the elements I have talked about," Carroll said at a news conference on campus. "(Huizenga) has structured a program where the head coach has the entire say, from top to bottom.

"It's a one-voice program. I don't think there are any other situations like that in the NFL."

Carroll said he was not offered the Miami coaching job, and stressed that he has never thought about leaving USC since arriving after the 2000 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
"I'm thrilled to be here," he said. "As I've been the whole time, I haven't wavered. I know that being curious about it has helped me appreciate what we have here.

"I absolutely expect to be here."

The 55-year-old Carroll formerly coached the New York Jets and New England Patriots before coming to USC, and has often said he preferred coaching in the college ranks because he had complete control.

"It was a major statement he made finding me out there," Carroll said regarding the meeting. "In a situation where you have an alternative, it's worth finding out what it is.

"This was the only time I've even thought about talking with anybody (from the NFL). Here's a situation where a guy would give a head coach the opportunity to do anything he wanted to do. He's an awesome guy."

Carroll also said: "I love the Trojans. I love being here, we're in the middle of something that's really special. I don't want to take any steps away from it."

Huizenga met with Carroll on Sunday. The Dolphins owner initiated contact, leaving messages on Carroll's cell phone, and the USC coach said he felt obligated "to at least listen."

Carroll said had no idea as to the progress of the Dolphins' coaching search and didn't know if or when he would speak with Huizenga again.

"I've got to tell you that I'm always chasing a challenge," Carroll said. "I'm teased by all challenges."

Pete Carroll, University of Southern California's football coach, makes his way to a news conference Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2007, in Los Angeles.
AP - Jan 9, 8:12 pm EST
More Photos
Carroll returned Tuesday from Costa Rica, where he had been vacationing since No. 4 USC beat No. 8 Michigan 32-18 in the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day. The Trojans have won 56 of their last 60 games and figure to enter the 2007 season as one of the nation's top-ranked teams.

Only four USC players who started in the Rose Bowl are seniors, although there's a good possibility leading receiver Dwayne Jarrett will pass up his final year of eligibility to turn pro. Jarrett, a two-time All-American, will announce his future plans at a news conference Wednesday.

Carroll has coached the Trojans to an unprecedented five straight Bowl Championship Series appearances. USC is 59-6 in the past five seasons, and 65-12 in his six years as head coach.

The Trojans beat Oklahoma 55-19 in the BCS title game following the 2004 season and lost to Texas 41-38 in the championship game the following year. USC was bypassed for the title game following the 2003 season before beating Michigan 28-14 in the Rose Bowl to win The Associated Press national championship.

Carroll coached the Jets to a 6-10 record in 1994, and New England to a 27-21 mark and two playoff appearances from 1997-99 before being fired and replaced by Bill Belichick, who has coached the Patriots to three Super Bowl championships. However, they were 5-11 in 2000 before Belichick turned them around.

Carroll took the 2000 season off before being hired to replace the fired Paul Hackett.

Carroll is one of the highest-paid coaches in college, but Huizenga last week said: "I don't care what it takes, what it costs, what's involved. We're going to make this a winning franchise."

The Dolphins have failed to make the playoffs the past five seasons, a team record.

Carroll said he left a message for USC athletic director Mike Garrett after agreeing to speak with Huizenga.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
it appears as if the chick who grabbed nick saban and gave him a smooch at the alabama airport the other day...

image002.jpg

... was pulled over on her way out of the airport and charged with DUI

image001.jpg

gooooo tide!

When I saw that mob of media and fans out at Tuscaloosa Regional on live local news, my first thought was that they should have flown him in to the Air National Guard base so that they could have kept the idiots away from him. However, in all of their comments, he and his wife have said they appreciated the enthusiasm of the mob upon their arrival. We all gave them a standing ovation at the basketball game last night when they entered Coleman Coliseum. It must have been awkward for the Sabans waiting next to the LSU bench for the last 3 minutes of the 1st half, but Nick did go over and speak to Brady and other members of the LSU entourage.

Mr. BAW, I think I heard today that Pete said he is staying at SC, which I hope he does. However, it sounds like Huizenga is charming him like he eventually did with Saban 2 years ago. Saban initially told W.H. he wanted to stay at the college level...who knows?

~U2Alabama

When I went to see them at the Swamp in late September, I would never have thought THAT team would be playing for the National Championship. But good for them. At least it wasn't Aubuhn.

~U2Alabama

U2doggie said:
It's great that an SEC team won the national title---but why did it have to be Florida???? Everyone knows that GATORS EAT BOOGERS!!!
Goooo DAWGS!!! SIC' EM---WOOF WOOF WOOF

Shawne Merriman, is that you?

Yeahhh, I'm sick of Florida fans too, but what can you do?

Gotta give their teams (Basketball and Football) credit for playing well when it counts.

*sings Florida State fight song to self*

Hewson said:
I'll guarantee you right now Quinn gets drafted at least 50 spots higher than Smith.
U2ME3 said:

I'll take the under. :)

Hewson said:
Tis a wager. In April the loser has to sit at his keyboard naked on the Monday after the draft so the rest of Interference can snicker.

Lets not forget this as draft day draws closer and Troy packs on the pounds.

Back
Top Bottom