Cockram & Cockram, 6 Morrell Street Mooroopna VIC, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And my iPod is rejoicing in the name of Methuselah.

I hope it lives at least half as long as its namesake, even if that means it'll be in a museum before it reaches middle age.

You a nerd? No way?

Also, someone posted this in the NHL thread. I've heard it repeated several times over in past hour.

323036325-ab6d131df0530a201880c181988b4e08.4dfa0c60-full.jpg

"At least someone in Vancouver can score on the road" :applaud:

I happened to be on here yesterday and seen this picture, then I happened to be watching the news this morning (two things I dont do very often) and they had this picture on HLN news this morning and they were interviewing the couple in this picture and its real. Just figured I was obligated to tell cause it was seemed real odd to me that it all happened. :D If that makes sense :lol:

I can't help but find the Polish language amusing, despite being able to understand some of it.

I once heard a guy talking on the phone to his mother in Polish. I had to leave the room cos I kept cracking up. (I have no idea what he was saying.)

I love it; it's consonant soup. I wonder if Poland would like to buy a vowel at any point?

On a semi-related note, I just read a book about creepy love songs, in which the author analysed Pearl Jam's "Alive", and concluded that Eddie Vedder is the only person he knows who's afraid of consonants.

And regarding that book, I have an urge to transcribe what it says about metal subgenres for Ax's benefit... *L*

I was at the dentist. Fun timez.

How'd it go? And has your face thawed out yet?

Double awesome news guys:

1) This job pays nearly two bucks/hr more than I expected

2) I got moved to 1st Shift :dance:. Which means my Superthread time will be cut down a bit :(. I have to sleep at "normal" times.

1a) Belated congrats on the job!
1b) Yaaaay!! Extra money ftw.

2) Aww... but yay for normal sleeps?

And regarding that book, I have an urge to transcribe what it says about metal subgenres for Ax's benefit... *L*

Well now I'm just curious!

How'd it go? And has your face thawed out yet?

It's fine, but by god I never knew a filling could end up hurting that much afterwards; I actually took some painkiller in the evening after the numbing stuff wore off. I guess because it was so deep, so close to the nerve. Or I'm just weak. Bit of both probably.

Back on Tuesday week too.

The last sentence there doesn't quite compute for me. Are you saying you will not be present here in the thread until next Tuesday, or you have to go back to the dentist Tuesday?

Well now I'm just curious!

*clears throat*

"Attention, metal bands: stop inventing subgenres already. I'm freaking exhausted. I've already sampled speed metal, death metal, glam metal, thrash metal, industrial metal and ambient metal. Now I find there's goth metal, funk metal, progressive metal, doom metal, black metal, avant-garde metal, power metal, symphonic metal, groove metal, Nu metal and metalcore. (If anyone can tell the difference between death metal and doom metal, I'll buy you a cadaver.) There's even folk metal. Is Joan Baez biting off bat heads now? And what the hell is Viking metal? Why aren't Vikings out sacking and pillaging like they're supposed to? Don't tell me - they're too busy learning barre chords.
"I'm calling a moratorium on this. No more metal genres, be it sludge metal, plague metal, ventriloquist metal, Fifth and Main metal or three-bean salad metal. The only one I'll consider is beer metal. I like beer."

It should be noted that I don't know who Joan Baez is (presumably a folk singer), and I don't know if the author knows that sludge metal actually exists. I also suspect he missed quite a few genres.

Oh, and I have to share this bit about why the author found himself inexplicably enjoying a Rammstein performance on You Tube:

"... Why did I love it so much? Is it the obvious tenderness behind the necrophile's actions? [don't ask] The virtuosity of the musicians? Lindemann's sub-human basso profundo and the fact that he has more stage presence kneeling in silence than a dozen Chris Martins writhing in front of a piano? [...] Rammstein doesn't need my support. They can sell out a stadium in Sydney to a mass of Aussies who couldn't conjugate a German verb to save their vegemite."

:giggle:

It's fine, but by god I never knew a filling could end up hurting that much afterwards; I actually took some painkiller in the evening after the numbing stuff wore off. I guess because it was so deep, so close to the nerve. Or I'm just weak. Bit of both probably.

Back on Tuesday week too.

Owie... One of mine was pretty close to the nerve and it was sore afterwards too, I think. At least you didn't need a root canal! (I've never had one but a friend did, and it sounds like torture.)

The last sentence there doesn't quite compute for me. Are you saying you will not be present here in the thread until next Tuesday, or you have to go back to the dentist Tuesday?

Do you guys not have the expression "[day] week" over there?

i.e. Tuesday is 21/06, Tuesday week is 28/06, when I have to venture back to the dentist. Not heading anywhere exciting away from the thread for a week!

*clears throat*

"Attention, metal bands: stop inventing subgenres already. I'm freaking exhausted. I've already sampled speed metal, death metal, glam metal, thrash metal, industrial metal and ambient metal. Now I find there's goth metal, funk metal, progressive metal, doom metal, black metal, avant-garde metal, power metal, symphonic metal, groove metal, Nu metal and metalcore. (If anyone can tell the difference between death metal and doom metal, I'll buy you a cadaver.) There's even folk metal. Is Joan Baez biting off bat heads now? And what the hell is Viking metal? Why aren't Vikings out sacking and pillaging like they're supposed to? Don't tell me - they're too busy learning barre chords.
"I'm calling a moratorium on this. No more metal genres, be it sludge metal, plague metal, ventriloquist metal, Fifth and Main metal or three-bean salad metal. The only one I'll consider is beer metal. I like beer."

... oh dear.

Especially "oh dear" because death metal and doom metal are pretty fucking obviously different. I'd have POSSIBLY paid it if he had said black metal and death metal, but uh, dude, death metal is played very fast and doom metal is played very slow. This is like saying that Happy Hardcore and ambient are electronic styles impossible to distinguish.

And yes, he missed heaps of subgenres. Some of what he considers subgenres are actually umbrella genres. Black metal also covers depressive black metal, symphonic black metal, melodic black metal, suicidal black metal, blackened death metal, and blackgaze, amongst others. Death metal covers progressive death metal, technical death metal, melodeath (melodic death metal), brutal death metal, also blackened death metal, deathcore, etc.

"... Why did I love it so much? Is it the obvious tenderness behind the necrophile's actions? [don't ask] The virtuosity of the musicians? Lindemann's sub-human basso profundo and the fact that he has more stage presence kneeling in silence than a dozen Chris Martins writhing in front of a piano? [...] Rammstein doesn't need my support. They can sell out a stadium in Sydney to a mass of Aussies who couldn't conjugate a German verb to save their vegemite."

:lmao:

Owie... One of mine was pretty close to the nerve and it was sore afterwards too, I think. At least you didn't need a root canal! (I've never had one but a friend did, and it sounds like torture.)

Apparently a root canal is going to be inevitable for me in the long term, though. When, not if. :uhoh:

... oh dear.

Especially "oh dear" because death metal and doom metal are pretty fucking obviously different. I'd have POSSIBLY paid it if he had said black metal and death metal, but uh, dude, death metal is played very fast and doom metal is played very slow. This is like saying that Happy Hardcore and ambient are electronic styles impossible to distinguish.

And yes, he missed heaps of subgenres. Some of what he considers subgenres are actually umbrella genres. Black metal also covers depressive black metal, symphonic black metal, melodic black metal, suicidal black metal, blackened death metal, and blackgaze, amongst others. Death metal covers progressive death metal, technical death metal, melodeath (melodic death metal), brutal death metal, also blackened death metal, deathcore, etc.

He's obviously writing from a position of ignorance, and moreover assuming his audience has a similar lack of detailed knowledge about metal genres (a reasonably assumption, it must be said). You should write to Tom Reynolds and educate him... and also claim your free cadaver. :lol:

Apparently a root canal is going to be inevitable for me in the long term, though. When, not if. :uhoh:

:yikes: That surely sucks.

Start saving up narcotics now?

Gotta run, time to head back to Melbourne. :wave:

Do you guys not have the expression "[day] week" over there?

i.e. Tuesday is 21/06, Tuesday week is 28/06, when I have to venture back to the dentist. Not heading anywhere exciting away from the thread for a week!

So it means a week from Tuesday?

Ah, colloquialisms.

I just wanted to use the word "colloquialisms." thank you for giving me the opportunity.

Pandemonium, wailing, and gnashing of teeth.

IN EYKIW and PLEBA, but I think Cobbler was talking on a more global scale. Bono I can see being a big deal in the media, but the other three, there'd be a small remembrance story on each news outlet and the general public will say "oh, that's too bad," and then it'll move on to the video of the day of the bird stealing the wallaby's snack or something. I'm discovering that to the rest of the world, U2 consists of Bono and three other dudes. What are their names again? One of 'em wears a hat, doesn't he?

Sad, but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom