Closing Song for the Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RademR said:

yup, ure right. they were reportedly rehearsing EXIT in dublin, now maybe in LA before the tour? good things....

:drool: :drool: :drool:

We want Exit! We want Exit!

I'm surprised no one else has commented on Crumbs being a rumored closer. While I love the song and hope it makes the setlist (don't see how it can't), I can't for the life of me imagine it as the last song. It's catchy and has that big build up at the end, but that final part isn't playable without some kind of backing track--especially the choral part.

Perhaps they're playing it last during rehearsals because they haven't figured out where to put it. They still have over a month to go, so I don't think it's far fetched to suggest that the final setlist isn't in place yet.

I know Yahweh has its detractors, but it seems a much more natural send off song than anything else. Crumbs would be more appropriate to end the first set, but that spot traditionally goes to a classic.

Who knows...but I'm not buying this one. Great news about Exit though. Forgive the imagery, but if I hear that opening bass line the general admission floor may be unintentionally peed on.

laz

Some more news. Stuck in a Moment is being rehearsed but as an acoustic. Along with OOTS. Maybe a B stage combo. "Sometimes" seems to be staying in its original form.

More as I get it.

WOWWWW!!!! now if this is true, that is some GREAT news.

I always listen to "Stuck", the acoustic version, to me it kills the album version. So acoustically it would be great, and I always like the stripped version of "Original" (a-la performance in San Jose).

"Sometimes" better stay the way it is now live. It's perfect.

AS for "Beautiful Day" being practiced a lot, I'm actually glad. It sounds real good in the HTDAAB promos.

Last edited:
RademR said:
WOWWWW!!!! now if this is true, that is some GREAT news.

I always listen to "Stuck", the acoustic version, to me it kills the album version. So acoustically it would be great, and I always like the stripped version of "Original" (a-la performance in San Jose).

Yesss acoustic Sometimes would be awesome. :hyper: :rockon:

Damn more interesting tid bits. It seems that the band as always have been playing or jamming on NEW SONGS! According to my source one of the songs seems to be inspired by the bands current situation with having to deal with a lot of personal stuff ie. Bono's back spasms, Larry's back problems, Edge's stuff etc.

Possible mid life crisis song. By the way he says the song makes Vertigo sound like a pop song. Damn I wish I was there at the warehouse as a rat. Then I could come and go as I please.

artdirector said:
Damn more interesting tid bits. It seems that the band as always have been playing or jamming on NEW SONGS! According to my source one of the songs seems to be inspired by the bands current situation with having to deal with a lot of personal stuff ie. Bono's back spasms, Larry's back problems, Edge's stuff etc.

Possible mid life crisis song. By the way he says the song makes Vertigo sound like a pop song. Damn I wish I was there at the warehouse as a rat. Then I could come and go as I please.

:hyper: New songs?

Acoustic Stuck sounds interesting :yes:
I wish that Original would have the piano part taped and Edge could play that lovely ringing guitar from the album, but it will be interesting to hear it on just acoustic guitar.

I'm quite surprised by the notion of an acoustic Original, though I saw several people guessing that on their setlists.

The big vocal/instrumental buildup is pure classic U2, and I'm puzzled why they would give that up, unless they can't for some reason work out a good full-band treatment (a la many of the Pop songs... anyone remember the early If God Will Send His Angels and Staring at the Sun? **shudder**)

I wonder if Exit would be worked in with Love and Peace in a new "heart of darknes." I'd be thrilled to see Exit again.

Most of all, I hope they think about recasting some of the oldies the way they did before Zoo TV. The revisions of Bullet and Running were stunning, and flat-out brilliant. Maybe better than the originals, and totally different.

artdirector said:
Some more news. Stuck in a Moment is being rehearsed but as an acoustic. Along with OOTS. Maybe a B stage combo.

Yeah, I figured they'd fuck that one up. Couldn't get it right with Edge on piano, now they're just going to emasculate it.

I know there's people that don't even like OOTS, but can we get a consensus that without Edge's electric guitar on the chorus this one is gonna be a clunker?

So much for this being a showstopper near the end of the setlist.

laz

artdirector said:
Damn more interesting tid bits. It seems that the band as always have been playing or jamming on NEW SONGS!

Okay, I don't want to start freaking out here, but is anybody thinking what I am?

MERCY!!!

Art Director, is your friend familiar with Mercy, or would he recognize it if it were being practiced?

Maybe we won't have to make those signs after all...

laz

I knew they would do Stuck as an acoustic arrangement. Should be pretty cool to hear the entire arena singing. Keep up the news coming artdirector. Any news on Mofo :drool:

artdirector said:

Wow.

He catch any lyrical snippets?

artdirector said:

How familiar is this guy with U2's material? Could he possibly be mistaking some songs he doesn't know for new material? Also, U2 are known to jam and rehearse to material they don't release - soundchecks are a good example of U2 practising with impromptu/unused songs.

bono_man2002 said:
*tries to fit wire into a set*

After ABOY prehaps :scratch:

On the UF Tour, it would come either between I Will Follow and MLK --> UF, or between MLK --> UF and Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Hmm...

Vertigo
All Because Of You
I Will Follow
Wire
Exit
Love And Peace Or Else

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Axver said:

Vertigo
All Because Of You
I Will Follow
Wire
Exit
Love And Peace Or Else

if they played it in that order at the show, it seriously might be the best 30 mins. of my life.

lazarus said:

Yeah, I figured they'd fuck that one up. Couldn't get it right with Edge on piano, now they're just going to emasculate it.

I know there's people that don't even like OOTS, but can we get a consensus that without Edge's electric guitar on the chorus this one is gonna be a clunker?

So much for this being a showstopper near the end of the setlist.

laz

:shrug: I don't know, maybe we will see something like Angel of Harlem on Zoo TV where both Bono and Edge played acoustic guitar, and Adam and Larry on the smaller drums.

On the other hand, Bono said "acoustic" at Brooklyn show and that had piano, Bono playing guitar and later Adam and Larry kicked into the song. Pretty good version, I thought.

Re: Original...

What the hell is their problem? They've been playing music professionally for 25 years. Why can't they have a damn keyboard tech come up and play piano for that song? Or god forbid, have Bono pull double-duty?

U2 has had a very maddening history of not properly working up solid live versions of some of their best songs on album (Like A Song, Red Hill Mining Town, Acrobat, So Cruel, Staring at the Sun, etc.).

Here's hoping they get creative and solve the Original of the Species riddle.

broken toy said:

What the hell is their problem? They've been playing music professionally for 25 years. Why can't they have a damn keyboard tech come up and play piano for that song? Or god forbid, have Bono pull double-duty?

U2 has had a very maddening history of not properly working up solid live versions of some of their best songs on album (Like A Song, Red Hill Mining Town, Acrobat, So Cruel, Staring at the Sun, etc.).

I just want to know why the hell they make songs they can't play live.

Just an FYI: I believe my friend heard OOTS that way they played it on the Apple Launch of their IPOD. Edge and Bono only singing it. As for him knowing new from old songs he's not a fan like us who would know every song so he may be hearing an older song thinking its new. He does know that the songs (2 of them) they've been tinkering with ARE NOT on the best of 1980 or 1990 so its safe to assume that they are either new songs or songs that were not singles but rockin tunes from their albums like EXIT etc.

art director, is there any word on the stage layout, or is this just a musical rehearsal space?

it would be nice to know once and for all about the egg, whether it's hollow, etc.

I would assume they'd have to get all the lighting cues nailed down and would need some kind of mock up. If there's going to be a catwalk they would probably practice on some kind of makeshift version.

thanks

laz

broken toy said:

All subjective my friend, all is subjective. I love the acoustic versions, Staring At The Sun, done live acoustically, is stunningly good in my opinion, as are songs like Stay and Sunday Bloody Sunday.

artdirector said:
Just an FYI: I believe my friend heard OOTS that way they played it on the Apple Launch of their IPOD. Edge and Bono only singing it. As for him knowing new from old songs he's not a fan like us who would know every song so he may be hearing an older song thinking its new. He does know that the songs (2 of them) they've been tinkering with ARE NOT on the best of 1980 or 1990 so its safe to assume that they are either new songs or songs that were not singles but rockin tunes from their albums like EXIT etc.

If he can hear the lyrics, that question can be answered fairly quickly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom