Cardiff (Millennium Stadium) vs Sheffield (Don Valley Stadium) - Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaahweh

Babyface
I haven't been to either the Millennium Stadium or Don Valley Stadium, but I'll be going to one or the other with a bit of luck.

If you've been to either, or both, which is preferable? The Don Valley looks pretty spread out and seating-wise (I'll be taking the g/f, so seats it is really) I imagine it could be a fair distance to the stage. But, being more open, the sound could well be better. Cardiff is twice the travelling time, but I'm not bothered if it means a better gig.

I'm a Breathe subscriber, so will hopefully be able to get reasonable tickets.

Any advice?

I picked Cardiff (possibly try to sheffield aswell), but the reason i went for cardiff was because of the roof, i heard that made a bit of a difference on the last tour, but you hopefully someone who went to the show there last time will have more of an opinion,

Cardiff, last time 'round was utterly brilliant. The roof will be shut and although it's big it feels like a large arena rather than a stadium. Plus Edge is Welsh so they make an extra special effort! :D

Cardiff, last time 'round was utterly brilliant. The roof will be shut and although it's big it feels like a large arena rather than a stadium. Plus Edge is Welsh so they make an extra special effort! :D

Oh really - even in the summer? I didn't realise that.

Yeah was a lovely hot day and they still did it. Made for a real unique atmosphere. I think they have to keep it shut because of the noise levels. :drool:

Def go for Cardiff. 85,00 with the roof shut - just awesome. Where-as Don Valley only holds about 20,000 seated so will only be 30,000 capacity. Think it will be the smallest gig on the tour so far.

Sheffield holds 50,000 for a concert. Cardiff 70,000
Cardiff much better venue.

Anyone got an image of the seating plan for the San Siro please?

Thanks

Def go for Cardiff. 85,00 with the roof shut - just awesome. Where-as Don Valley only holds about 20,000 seated so will only be 30,000 capacity. Think it will be the smallest gig on the tour so far.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though. I'm a bit torn because outdoor summer gigs are definitely special (as long as it doesn't rain, of course!) Hmm.

Surely the capacity will be higher on this tour due to the 360 set up. If Cardiff holds 70,000 for sports, would it not hold 80 - 85,000 for the gigs?

Cardiff without a doubt. Great stadium, sound was SHIT where I was last time but god damn what a great gig!
and then there's the fact it's a much larger venue!

I think the main problem with Cardiff is the traffic in and out.
Never been mind, I just heard loads of complaints when the FA cup finals were held there.

Sheffield is closest for me but its Glasgow i will be going to I dont like the look of Sheffied at all.

I have to be honest I think the venue selection and number of dates is crap Vertigo had more venues & more dates.

I think the stage design must have limited the venue choice somewhat.

Could be that this is just a taster tour ala Zoo Tv indoors in 92 with the real deal to come next year.

Cardiff had a park and ride thing going on when I went.

There is a problem with the sound though, I was stood pretty much dead in the center, sound was shit. Went and stood right at the back, and it was great. Its circumstancial unfortunately.

There was a fantastic atmosphere though, and Bono was going on about Edge being welsh, and the whole arena was his family or something. :lol: So its got that little extra *special* thing. Ive never been to sheffield so I have nothing to go on for that.

And, If I remember correctly, theres a train station reaaally close to the Millenium Stadium.

yeah there's a park and ride and if i remember correctly getting out of the car park and back on the motorway didn't take long at all. And as MooMoo's already said there's a train station really close. If you get GA just move around a lot til you get a good spot sound-wise :)

Dont forget to make after-show arrangements too. ;) The amount of people leaving the stadium was insane. We stopped at a motorway service station on the way out of Cardiff and it was packed with U2 fans. :yikes:

They'd taken all the bottled water too, and I was thirsty as fuck. :grumpy:

Dont forget to make after-show arrangements too. ;) The amount of people leaving the stadium was insane. We stopped at a motorway service station on the way out of Cardiff and it was packed with U2 fans. :yikes:

They'd taken all the bottled water too, and I was thirsty as fuck. :grumpy:

I'll be sure to pack the boot with supplies then. Could even set up a little stall to make my ticket money back!

I think the main problem with Cardiff is the traffic in and out.
Never been mind, I just heard loads of complaints when the FA cup finals were held there.

Getting in / out of Cardiff is an absolute pain in the rear. On Vertigo it took us 4 hours to get in from near Gloucester and 4.5 hours to get back (even though we were on the 2nd coach back to the park & ride). I will never go to another gig in Cardiff without staying over.

I've had a look on Google Earth at Don Valley and the seating isn't even covered on 3 sides and as it is an athletics stadium then the seats are miles from the pitch due to the running track and the jumping pits.

Not impressed on first impressions. :down:

I've had a look on Google Earth at Don Valley and the seating isn't even covered on 3 sides and as it is an athletics stadium then the seats are miles from the pitch due to the running track and the jumping pits.

Yeah. Here's a photo:

Don-Valley-Stadium-2001_971122.jpg

And a plan I found when Googling (it seems to be a generic one):

Donvalley.gif

I'm starting to think it could be really good with the right position.

Not impressed on first impressions. :down:
It looks half built:huh:

Definately wouldn't go for seating unless binoculars are included in the price but GA should be OK with plenty off them as well. It holds 50,000 and as there are only 15,000 seats that is 35,000 GA's so getting 4 with an Horizon code should be a breeze !!

The Welsh are the greatest singers too, the atmosphere in Cardiff is superb.

Although, will the sound be better at the Don Valley stadium if it's so open and there's no echo?

if you go to Cardiff, book a hotel and stay overnight.

We drove in on the day for Vertigo from Gloucester (where I live)- a journey that would normally take no more than 90 minutes took over 4 hours to get into the park & ride.

it was even worse going back out- that was after the bus driver got lost and was asking for directions- it took another 4 hours to get home-longer than going to Twickenham a week or so before which is effectively the other side of the country for me

upside is that it will be indoors so you won't get wet and the visuals will work better

if you go to Cardiff, book a hotel and stay overnight.

We drove in on the day for Vertigo from Gloucester (where I live)- a journey that would normally take no more than 90 minutes took over 4 hours to get into the park & ride.

it was even worse going back out- that was after the bus driver got lost and was asking for directions- it took another 4 hours to get home-longer than going to Twickenham a week or so before which is effectively the other side of the country for me

upside is that it will be indoors so you won't get wet and the visuals will work better

Already booked my hotel on monday, staying at the future inn, a nice new hotel around 2 miles away from the stadium, got a twin room for £138 for 2 nights on activehotels.com

Back
Top Bottom