Can the playoffs affect U2 shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bean_Counter

The Fly
Thinking about the two shows in Vegas. The Vegas Knights play their games at T-Mobile. They are playing in the second round against the San Jose Sharks. Looking at the playoff schedule thus far, the league schedules games every other night.

My friend google pointed me to an incident in 2015 when Garth Brooks had to cancel shows in Tampa due to scheduling conflict with the NHL playoffs.

The current NHL schedule shows a game in San Jose on the 6th, U2 is scheduled to play in San Jose on the 7th and 8th. Should be fine for the San Jose shows.
I guess my question is - can T-Mobile force U2 to move one of the shows for the playoffs?

arenas always plan gaps this time of year for the potential of playoff games, and the NHL will schedule around already-scheduled events. sometimes they will go 2 or (rarely) 3 days between games instead of playing every other day if they have to. forcing something else to be rescheduled is probably only a last resort.

Supposedly that’s why U2 aren’t playing Toronto this year. Toronto was supposed to fit in early June before Montreal, but then the local hockey team made the playoffs, and are apparently doing well, so they will need the ACC during that time.

Supposedly that’s why U2 aren’t playing Toronto this year. Toronto was supposed to fit in early June before Montreal, but then the local hockey team made the playoffs, and are apparently doing well, so they will need the ACC during that time.

The Leafs got eliminated last night by the Bruins, so no more hockey at the ACC.

Basketball is still going on however.

I don't buy this reason.

I know it doesn't make sense for them to not play Toronto, but DC, Philly and Boston all have multiple teams in the playoffs as well and it didn't stop them from scheduling shows.

Probably not. Game 7 of the 2nd round is scheduled for Tuesday May 8th.

I'm sure the Conference Final will start after U2. This is if Vegas makes it that far (they have a legit shot)

I don't buy this reason.

I know it doesn't make sense for them to not play Toronto, but DC, Philly and Boston all have multiple teams in the playoffs as well and it didn't stop them from scheduling shows.

I definitely buy it. Those shows were scheduled for mid to late June where the Stanley Cup would be done - it rarely runs into the second week of June and is usually done around the 6th to 10th. Toronto was stuck trying to fit a show into the first couple days of June knowing that both the NBA and NHL teams had playoff hopes. They made sure to accommodate the double-pro-team US dates in Philly/Washington and Boston but left Toronto with a time that they couldn’t commit to. They chose the US markets over Toronto - I’m sure the ACC would have accommodated them mid to late June, pretty big middle finger to Canada IMO. One city is pretty fucking lame.

I definitely buy it. Those shows were scheduled for mid to late June where the Stanley Cup would be done - it rarely runs into the second week of June and is usually done around the 6th to 10th. Toronto was stuck trying to fit a show into the first couple days of June knowing that both the NBA and NHL teams had playoff hopes. They made sure to accommodate the double-pro-team US dates in Philly/Washington and Boston but left Toronto with a time that they couldn’t commit to. They chose the US markets over Toronto - I’m sure the ACC would have accommodated them mid to late June, pretty big middle finger to Canada IMO. One city is pretty fucking lame.

That's ridiculous.

U2 spends the majority of their time in Canada for tax reasons while on tour in North America. They rehearse there at the start of every tour.

Why on Earth would they purposefully screw over a city in Canada that is historically one of their biggest selling cities? Your big middle finger to Canada reasoning makes zero sense.

Who cares if they rehearse in Canada? You know we're not all invited to that... we need actual concerts to attend. Every major city has pretty decent hockey arenas to play in from mid-June....

Who cares if they rehearse in Canada? You know we're not all invited to that... we need actual concerts to attend. Every major city has pretty decent hockey arenas to play in from mid-June....
?

My bringing up that they rehearse there was only in response to the idea previously posted that U2 are in some way purposefully screwing over Canada, which is a ridiculous argument.

The following events are taking place at the Air Canada Center during the NBA and NHL playoffs.

Stars On Ice
Bon Jovi
WBC Light Heavyweight Championship
Russ
Hall & Oates
Depeche Mode
Paul Simon
Harry Styles
Sam Smith

If space due to the playoffs for both leagues were an issue, none of these events would be taking place.

A more likely reason is that the space the ACC had available didn't work logistically with the entire tour itinerary, so they passed this time around.

?

My bringing up that they rehearse there was only in response to the idea previously posted that U2 are in some way purposefully screwing over Canada, which is a ridiculous argument.

I don't think that's what they were trying to say... that they were purposefully screwing over Canada. It's just that of all the damn places in the entire country they could have played, they only ended up with Montreal because they weren't left a lot of options by shoehorning Toronto in to those few days.

I know you're American and you just have too much of a good thing, but it's pretty disappointing that they couldn't have played another show in the entire country, on a tour where they are playing Oklahoma. It's not surprising that a lot of other countries are tired of seeing the US get ALL THE SHOWS. You must admit that you literally are getting ALL THE SHOWS in comparison to everywhere else. As well, just goes without saying that a lot of people aren't too keen on travelling to the US right now, myself included. Say what you want, but until you are on the 'other side of the barricade' you can't really dictate how other countries are meant to feel over this. It IS very disappointing for Canada this time around - and we've been lucky over the last few tours. However, markets like Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton are very often left behind by U2 - that's a fact.

Last edited:
I don't think that's what they were trying to say... that they were purposefully screwing over Canada. It's just that of all the damn places in the entire country they could have played, they only ended up with Montreal because they weren't left a lot of options by shoehorning Toronto in to those few days.

I know you're American and you just have too much of a good thing, but it's pretty disappointing that they couldn't have played another show in the entire country, on a tour where they are playing Oklahoma. It's not surprising that a lot of other countries are tired of seeing the US get ALL THE SHOWS. You must admit that you literally are getting ALL THE SHOWS in comparison to everywhere else. As well, just goes without saying that a lot of people aren't too keen on travelling to the US right now, myself included. Say what you want, but until you are on the 'other side of the barricade' you can't really dictate how other countries are meant to feel over this. It IS very disappointing for Canada this time around - and we've been lucky over the last few tours. However, markets like Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton are very often left behind by U2 - that's a fact.
Slow down

I never said anyone shouldn't be disappointed, not do you see me jumping on my soap box about how great the US is. Our current president is an international embarrassment, and I'm ashamed in my country that we managed to let him past the primaries let alone be elected.

I also find it silly on U2s part that they pass over Oceania and other parts of the world that clearly have a huge fanbase, while the US - where the fanbase is aging and shrinking - keeps getting more.

I only said the idea that they didn't pick Toronto because of the NBA and NHL playoffs doesn't hold water... and the idea that they're purposefully screwing a city that they've played ao many times before and have shown a clear affinity for is also silly. It's likely a logistical issue and when they swing through for the next NA leg they'll make up for it.

Back
Top Bottom