Butt Bridge, Dublin, Ireland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally prefer Bomb to ATYCLB, although some of the lyrics on Bomb make me cringe more than some on ATYCLB... I don't think either of them are particularly good albums in a cohesive sense, where, as you say, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. They have good songs, yes, but to me they don't all stick together quite as well as albums like JT or UF or NLOTH or Zooropa. But you'll find plenty of people who love ATYCLB and Bomb and prefer them over the other albums... *shrug* It's all down to personal taste in the end.

I'm the other way around, I do often enjoy listening to ATYCLB as it does have that fresh, spacey and airy feeling that is great to lie down on a couch to with eyes closed. It would be a fantastic album for a few reasons, one of which would be dropping Grace, In A Little While and Wild Honey for TGBHF, Levitate and whatever else.

New York is a personal favourite for me.

I was doing the album virgin thing before... I probably will again.

If SOA is supposed to be already mostly done, do you think there will be any more beach clips for it? Are there any of the old beach clips that we don't know what they were?

I'm sure they haven't revealed all the songs that might've been on SOA.

I'm starting to wonder about a new thread... anyone got any ideas?

If you mean superthread. Then I suggest you go for 'Elizabeth, South Australia'. :D

Ala the feral/bogan area of Adelaide!

Oh noes! The posts are drying up. For obvious reasons I must keep this thread warm!

I'm the other way around, I do often enjoy listening to ATYCLB as it does have that fresh, spacey and airy feeling that is great to lie down on a couch to with eyes closed. It would be a fantastic album for a few reasons, one of which would be dropping Grace, In A Little While and Wild Honey for TGBHF, Levitate and whatever else.

New York is a personal favourite for me.
Fair enough... Every few years I think I should give ATYCLB another chance and listen to it again... maybe that time is coming round again. I do like individual songs on it, like Elevation and WILATW, and I did appreciate Kite more after I heard it live, too. I can't quite make up my mind about IALW...

I'm sure they haven't revealed all the songs that might've been on SOA.

If you mean superthread. Then I suggest you go for 'Elizabeth, South Australia'. :D

Ala the feral/bogan area of Adelaide!

No, indeed...

I don't recall volunteering to make the thread... :wink: Do we want to risk turning everyone posting in it into bogans? :uhoh:

No, indeed...

I don't recall volunteering to make the thread... :wink: Do we want to risk turning everyone posting in it into bogans? :uhoh:

Then who's gonna make it? :scratch:

It wasn't my intention to physically transform members into bogans. Do you have any other ideas? Cos we're running out of posts! :uhoh:

Wouldn't that someone be Ax?

Well, I found out that there was a place in Iceland called Ranga Island. Would this be suitable enough?

Ooh Ax ... :D :wave:

And Ax, can we call the next superthread 'Ranga Island, Iceland'? Please, please, please!? :hyper:

(I feel like a 5yo now.)

So I guess there's no love for the B-man's songwriting in the 90's? :angry:

There was some great stuff there, but certainly not on the level of his mid/late 1980s heyday. Perhaps some individual songs, but the consistency of 1984-88 is what really gets me. Simple comparison: UF to Pop. Pop may have its Gone, its Please, and its WUDM, but it also has spectacular lyrical failures - IGWSHA, Miami, Playboy Mansion. UF, on the other hand, has no spectacular flops to counteract the SuperWin of ASOH, Wire, UF, Promenade, et al.

I think it would be fair to suggest that HTDAAB is their weakest album. As goes the saying, the sum of its whole is larger than the sum of its parts. That's definitely the case with the album. But so what, it was probably a middle age crisis album, where they felt the need to make a full on rock album or whatever. I still dislike Vertigo to this day.

I'd say both ATYCLB and HTDAAB were midlife crisis albums, and ATYCLB definitively the worst of the bunch. You can make a custom HTDAAB that's pretty decent, but the best you can hope for with a custom ATYCLB is something tolerable - and that's after tossing out about half the official album too!

I'm starting to wonder about a new thread... anyone got any ideas?

I have a good one or two up my sleeve that I hope actually exist ...

Whoever's making the next thread can take us wherever they want! But if it's me, it won't be Ranga Island ... not seeing the big deal there.

And hey, it's Cin! :wave:

hey Ax. Keep meaning to get on the thread but have been far too distracted :shifty:

I'm going to the Zoo tomorrow!

:laugh:

I'd say let's meet up, but I'm going to Queensland tonight! Won't be back until Monday.

Ranga Island. :loveshower:
Does that mean we all have to dye our hair and paint splotchy freckles on our pale bodies?

If you wish. :wink:

There was some great stuff there, but certainly not on the level of his mid/late 1980s heyday. Perhaps some individual songs, but the consistency of 1984-88 is what really gets me. Simple comparison: UF to Pop. Pop may have its Gone, its Please, and its WUDM, but it also has spectacular lyrical failures - IGWSHA, Miami, Playboy Mansion. UF, on the other hand, has no spectacular flops to counteract the SuperWin of ASOH, Wire, UF, Promenade, et al.

I have a good one or two up my sleeve that I hope actually exist ...

Well, I think the lyrics to IGWSHA are excellent.

And Ranga Island does actually exist! Use Google Earth. :D

Whoever's making the next thread can take us wherever they want! But if it's me, it won't be Ranga Island ... not seeing the big deal there.

I don't think I know how to make a proper thread, if I make a mistake, I can certainly imagine you scowling at me ... "Vlad, you stuffed up the superthread, it's ruined!" :D

Just kidding.

Well, I think the lyrics to IGWSHA are excellent.

And Ranga Island does actually exist! Use Google Earth. :D

"It's the blind leading the blonde" or "it's the stuff of country songs" or the like? Pass.

Found both of my ideas exist too, so I'll have to use them at some point, doesn't matter if it's today or in the future.

I don't think I know how to make a proper thread, if I make a mistake, I can certainly imagine you scowling at me ... "Vlad, you stuffed up the superthread, it's ruined!" :D

Just kidding.

I think the template of all the first posts is pretty easy to follow ... but evidently not everybody else does! I think both the Daniels have sworn off making threads.

(604): just found out there is no tactful way to ask your girlfriend to wax her stache. no matter what a google search would have you believe
:lol:

Do it Vlad! It feels so good to start a thread, kinda like it's your very own. If you stuff it up the mods can fix it.

"It's the blind leading the blonde" or "it's the stuff of country songs" or the like? Pass.

Found both of my ideas exist too, so I'll have to use them at some point, doesn't matter if it's today or in the future.

I think the template of all the first posts is pretty easy to follow ... but evidently not everybody else does! I think both the Daniels have sworn off making threads.

The former > the latter. (IGWSHA)
The 'does love light up your christmas tree' lyric redeems it, anyway.

Do it Vlad! It feels so good to start a thread, kinda like it's your very own. If you stuff it up the mods can fix it.

I wish Ax was a mod, he could fix it for me.

But it'd be awesome for me to get on the board, although my only issue is that I have to go in around 10 minutes. So spam your hearts out if you wish for me to have the honours! :D

But it'd be awesome for me to get on the board, although my only issue is that I have to go in around 10 minutes. So spam your hearts out if you wish for me to have the honours! :D

There's still some 45-posts to go, anyways.

Oh, crap! Well, if we don't get there, hold it in reserve for the next thread and I'll use one of my ideas today ...?

I know how it feels to have a slow computer. :wink:

When I'm gone and this thread hasn't completely run its course I hope I will return to find a superthread in Ranga Island. Or something freakish happens as in barely any messages are posted within the course of 3-4 hours.

I'm not sure I'd describe that as 'freakish' these days ... seems to be business as normal at the moment.

45 is nothing. When I'm on fire that's childs play. :D
I guess I really should go to work. May fall asleep in the office later.

:wave::wave:

:wave:

Oh, crap! Well, if we don't get there, hold it in reserve for the next thread and I'll use one of my ideas today ...?

If this thread has finished without me, I suppose you can start yours with one of your ideas today. I'll then make the thread after that if it's possible.

But you never know, the thread could be deserted for 3 hours for all I know.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom