Bumpass, Virginia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

To be perfectly honest, you aren't really missing much when it comes to certain Old Testament books. I've read some Old Testament books repeatedly - to this day, I love Ecclesiastes (it has always been my favourite book, actually). But some of the random minor prophets don't add anything new or earth-shatteringly important. This is why I've only read the entire Old Testament twice.

I do hope everybody who actually believes Christianity has at least sat down and taken the time to read Genesis, Exodus, Proverbs, Job, Isaiah, and of course Ecclesiastes. I couldn't tell you how many times I have read Ecclesiastes.

And every fundie must read Song Of Solomon.

Song Of Solomon is a damn great book. One of my favorites. Very poetic and meaningful. Ecclesiastes is great too...it's extremely thoughtful, and I feel it's spot on. Psalms and Proverbs are probably my favorites in the whole Bible, though I must confess they become a bit repetitive after a while. Haven't read Job in quite some time, but it has some great philosophical discussion.

It must be so fascinating to read the Bible in a completely detached manner, but, since I believe it's factual, I couldn't relate. As it is, I can appreciate the artistry of certain books.

phillyfan26 said:
I've never read the Bible. I've heard it read in church, that's it. I've no interest in it.

Bet you can at least recite some of Psalm 40. :wink:

Axver said:

By the way, just curious: what translations? I'm a big fan of the Amplified version, simply for the different ways it gives you to read sentences and the depth of interpretation you can draw from that. My own copy of the Amplified version is falling to bits.

I must admit I'm jealous of the Maj., since he's learning the ancient Greek to read it in its original language. I've tried to teach myself a bit of ancient Greek, but that unfortunately hasn't gone anywhere yet ...

I've read Living, Message, NIV, King James, Amplified, and some weird hybrid NJSHFJSGSFGJSJHJSFH versions that I can't remember the name of right now. Most of the time I stick with NIV, though I've found a few parts of it to be awkward translation-wise.

According to Melon, King James is the worst one and the most commonly cited by the religious right.

phillyfan26 said:
According to Melon, King James is the worst one and the most commonly cited by the religious right.

Yeah, it's not the easiest read. Elitists cite it to be the only English version worth reading but, honestly, it's only in English in the loosest of definitions. :lol:

LemonMelon said:
Song Of Solomon is a damn great book. One of my favorites. Very poetic and meaningful. Ecclesiastes is great too...it's extremely thoughtful, and I feel it's spot on. Psalms and Proverbs are probably my favorites in the whole Bible, though I must confess they become a bit repetitive after a while. Haven't read Job in quite some time, but it has some great philosophical discussion.

It must be so fascinating to read the Bible in a completely detached manner, but, since I believe it's factual, I couldn't relate. As it is, I can appreciate the artistry of certain books.

Song Of Solomon rather neatly destroys so much of what the religious right stands for. I love that. Plus it's a great example of ancient Middle Eastern literature and valuable on that merit alone. As for Psalms and Proverbs, the first time I made the mistake of reading them straight through. Dead boring. I find it's much better to, say, start with a few Psalms, then read a few chapters of a book that's meant to be read as a book, then finish with a bit from Proverbs. May not work for anyone else, but it at least helped me to take in things more.

I should state that most of the times I've read the Bible/NT, I considered myself a believer in Christianity. I don't feel my perspectives on how to interpret and understand it have changed much since my liberal Christian days. I apply the same techniques, reach usually the same conclusions - I've just ceased to buy them or believe they stand up to scrutiny.

LemonMelon said:

I've read Living, Message, NIV, King James, Amplified, and some weird hybrid NJSHFJSGSFGJSJHJSFH versions that I can't remember the name of right now. Most of the time I stick with NIV, though I've found a few parts of it to be awkward translation-wise.

I tend to not like the ultra-modern translations much. Sometimes, they feel really dumbed down and too overtly pitched at 15 year olds who want to be the cool kids in the local youth group or 30 year olds who don't want to feel like they're getting old in their parents' stuffy church. Yeah, fuck off.

In discussions and debates, I tend to use the NIV myself, since it's so widely read. It has its problems, but it does the job and it has a recognisability/trust factor with most people. But in my own study, as I said, I love the Amplified.

phillyfan26 said:

Vertigo: Chicago DVD.

Ahh. I've watched less than half of that.

One of the tracks I did see was in fact 40, but that was two years ago and I can't say I was paying much attention.

Besides TEC, ACD/ITH, ZS, and Fly, I see little to motivate me to watch it.

LemonMelon said:

Yeah, it's not the easiest read. Elitists cite it to be the only English version worth reading but, honestly, it's only in English in the loosest of definitions. :lol:

I love KJV-Only-ists. They crack me up so fucking much. I shit you not when I say that I once saw one argue that the KJV is superior to the ORIGINAL GREEK.

For the lulz: http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/kjvdefns.htm

In fact, that entire site brings the lulz, and the article I linked to is fairly tame. I honestly don't know if the site is actually meant to be satire. It's so over-the-top, but every position argued is one I've seen fundies argue in complete seriousness ...

Axver said:

Song Of Solomon rather neatly destroys so much of what the religious right stands for. I love that. Plus it's a great example of ancient Middle Eastern literature and valuable on that merit alone. As for Psalms and Proverbs, the first time I made the mistake of reading them straight through. Dead boring. I find it's much better to, say, start with a few Psalms, then read a few chapters of a book that's meant to be read as a book, then finish with a bit from Proverbs. May not work for anyone else, but it at least helped me to take in things more.

I should state that most of the times I've read the Bible/NT, I considered myself a believer in Christianity. I don't feel my perspectives on how to interpret and understand it have changed much since my liberal Christian days. I apply the same techniques, reach usually the same conclusions - I've just ceased to buy them or believe they stand up to scrutiny.

You have no idea how strangely awkward Song Of Solomon was for me when I was about 8. Good stuff. As I said, Psalms gets repetitive, as does Proverbs, so take them in one at a time.

To each their own, and all that jazz. It was a really great day when it finally dawned on me that my job as a Christian is not to shove my faith down someone else's throat, but to simply make them aware of the book if they're not already, and to just be the most loving example possible. That's it. And it's pretty fucking easy since everyone and their dog is a Christian here in America. Loving your neighbor? Not easy at all, since people are often dumbasses. But I try.

I'm going to collapse if I try to stay awake much more, I'm afraid. I hope you lot have a good one, and make it to a new thread soon.

G'night! :wave:

phillyfan26 said:
I've not heard much Blur, but I've heard some Gorillaz and have enjoyed it.

I have pretty much everything by both. Parklife is the most beloved Blur album, but their self-titled is probably the most even. Both Gorillaz albums are good, but Demon Days is in my top 50 all-time.

The whole concept of Gorillaz fascinates me. I'd be interested in giving both a shot. Albarn seems to be quite the creative force.

Hey guys.

Yeah, Gorillaz kick ass. Definitely go for that. Don't forget Albarn's work in The Good, the Bad, and The Queen - cool stuff there, too.

I'm uploading the Arcade Fire stuff right now, too.

30 GB Video. I got it for $250, a month before the 80 GB one became the same price.

phillyfan26 said:
30 GB Video. I got it for $250, a month before the 80 GB one became the same price.

Shit son, that almost happened to me, too. My parents had already bought it, but I told them an update was coming and asked them to return it and wait until then. I felt bad having to tell them that, but it was worth it in the end.

I don't use it for TV, movies, or games, so it's not too big a deal for me, luckily.

Oh, okay. I use about 40 gigs on mine between video clips, podcasts, and music.

My computer's better now, but it's still much too shitty for me to download movies on here. Probably why I haven't seen nearly as many as I should have seen by now.

But my parents are getting me a laptop if I get 1400 on my SATs this time around, so cross your fingers.

phillyfan26 said:
My computer's better now, but it's still much too shitty for me to download movies on here. Probably why I haven't seen nearly as many as I should have seen by now.

But my parents are getting me a laptop if I get 1400 on my SATs this time around, so cross your fingers.

Nice, you can do it. I got about 1340 on my first try, hopefully I can bring up my math score by the next one. Mac or PC preference for the laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom