Bono's vocal in Band Aid I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e edge

The Fly
i just think it's amazing. i know i'm crazy for him so every time i listen to the song i'm waiting to hear Bono, but it doesn't change the fact that he sings it in a way that makes it impossible not to notice it. it's just one line, but it's sang in such a wonderful and strong way that it becomes the most important line in the whole song (at least for me :wink:)

I totally agree! :yes: There is absolutley no way anyone else could have done this line this time around. I read an article recently where in response to other scrambling to get this line Bono is quoted as saying, "It's my line. I'm doing it....so f*ck off!" :up:

It's so urgent and powerful....and unforetunatley still very relevant to the world's mentality towards these struggling countries...

http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?b=news&id=53391

Bono Bags Famous Band Aid Line

With just three days to go until this weekend’s recording of the new version of ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas?’, Robbie Williams has been speaking about the scramble concerning who would get to sing the famous, “Tonight thank God it’s them…” line, and reveals who eventually won.

Bono has reportedly put his foot down with his fellow Band Aid 20 co-stars to ensure he will reclaim his famous line in the forthcoming third incarnation of ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas?’. The U2 frontman originally agreed to sing the line, "Because tonight thank God it’s them, instead of you” but was unsure if he was entirely happy with the shocking nature of the lyrics.

However, since the original track broke sales records 20 years ago, the line has become the most famous part of
the track, with both Robbie Williams and Justin Hawkins reportedly interested in reprising the line. Williams has told The Sun that "Everyone wanted it. But before anyone could start getting an ego about it, Bono just said, 'That's my line and I'm doing it - so the rest of you can f*** off.' That settled it!"

Williams is reportedly unable to make the live recording this Sunday as he is flying to Mexico. However both he and Dido (also unable to make the session) have already recorded the entire song for producer Nigel Godrich to select suitable lines for the stars.

The former Take That star has also explained that he hopes Live Aid makes a comeback next year saying "It would be great. I don't know what I'd sing though. I think everyone would want ‘Angels’."

As previously reported, the Band Aid 20 single will be recorded at Air Studios in North London on Sunday November 14 and hit shops on Monday November 29 on Mercury Records and The Band Aid Trust.

The new full up-to-date list of who will be appearing on the Band Aid 20 record is currently:

Robbie Williams
Justin Hawkins (The Darkness)
Dido
Chris Martin (Coldplay)
Jamelia
Fran Healy (Travis)
Beverley Knight
The Sugababes
Busted
Keane
Katie Melua
Ms Dynamite