Bono's Surgery and Tour Impact - Info & Discussion Here - Part 2 [update post #370]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yipes...talk about awful wording here....

"Glastonbury organizers working behind the scenes to find U2 replacements should Bono not make it. "

That's how rumors get started....... :doh:

Of course they are, I would fully expect them to be frantically searching for potential replacements.

Yipes...talk about awful wording here....

"Glastonbury organizers working behind the scenes to find U2 replacements should Bono not make it. "

That's how rumors get started....... :doh:

I laughed. :lol:

(I know, I know -- I'm going to hell.)

Was there a chance you weren't going to hell?
When the other side of the world wakes up and comes into the thread for updates, hopefully they'll see this page and realize a whole lotta nothin' happened today.

It'll save them the time of reading through 22 pages.

Thanks for this post.

I don't know if this means anything but if you go to Ticketmaster's website right now and try to select a ticket (including best available) and proceed with an order for either Anaheim or Oakland show you get a message about their ticketing system being down. Seattle onwards work fine...

Scratch that - Denver still works.

... and now Anaheim tickets are working again.

I might me going a bit crazy. I'm getting desperate for news!!

I don't know if this means anything but if you go to Ticketmaster's website right now and try to select a ticket (including best available) and proceed with an order for either Anaheim or Oakland show you get a message about their ticketing system being down. Seattle onwards work fine...

Scratch that - Denver still works.

... and now Anaheim tickets are working again.

I might me going a bit crazy. I'm getting desperate for news!!

TM does maintenence on their site daily at some ungodly hour in the middle of the night. Anyone who peruses a "dream trip" when awake at that time can attest to it.

NEWs AT LAST - from U2.com

25 May 2010
Bono has now been discharged from Ludwig Maximilians-University (LMU) Hospital in Munich where he underwent emergency surgery on Friday, following a back injury. In order to fully recover, he is under doctor's orders to start a rehabilitation program and to recuperate for at least eight weeks.

Dr Muller Wohlfahrt confirmed, 'Bono suffered severe compression of the sciatic nerve. On review of his MRI scan, I realized there was a serious tear in the ligament and a herniated disc, and that conservative treatment would not suffice. I recommended Bono have emergency spine surgery with Professor Tonn at Munich's LMU University Hospital on Friday.'

Professor Tonn, who carried out the operation, added, 'Bono was referred to me by Dr Muller Wohlfahrt late last week with a sudden onset disease. He was already in severe pain with partial paralysis in the lower leg. The ligament surrounding the disc had an 8mm tear and during surgery we discovered fragments of the disc had traveled into the spinal canal. This surgery was the only course of treatment for full recovery and to avoid further paralysis. Bono is now much better, with complete recovery of his motor deficit. The prognosis is excellent but to obtain a sustainable result, he must now enter a period of rehabilitation'.

Dr Muller Wohlfahrt continued, 'We are treating Bono as we would treat any of our athletes and while the surgery has gone very well, the coming weeks are crucial for a return to full health. In the next days, he will start a light rehabilitation program, with increasing intensity over the next 8 weeks. In our experience, this is the minimum time.'

Great news that he is now much better.

And news about the tour...

Speaking at the LMU University Hospital in Munich, Paul McGuinness has confirmed the postponement of 16 shows on the U2360° Tour from Salt Lake City on June 3rd, through to New Jersey's Meadowlands Stadium on July 19th. Tour Promoters Live Nation are now rescheduling those dates.

Paul McGuinness said, 'Our biggest and I believe best tour has been interrupted and we're all devastated. For a performer who lives to be on stage, this is more than a blow. He feels robbed of the chance to do what he does best and feels like he has badly let down the band and their audience. Which is of course nonsense. His concerns about more than a million ticket buyers whose plans have been turned upside down, we all share, but the most important thing right now is that Bono make a full recovery. We're working as fast as we can with Live Nation to reschedule these dates.'

I'm in total shock right now after reading what Bono had to go through and what effects the injury had on him :no:

On the other hand, I'm very relieved to hear that he's doing much better and is on the road to recovery, that the prognosis is that good.

8 weeks rehab, that makes sense. Not good news for the tour, though, but Bono's health is what matters the most now.

Edit: I see the US leg is cancelled, just as expected. There's still hope for the European tour. I guess Glasto is out of the window as well.

Get well, Bono.

Why can't he just say Glasto is cancelled!!?? He's put US fans out of their misery!! Fucks sake.

Edit: good to hear Bono is doing okay and is on the mend.

IMO, suprisingly PM has done a good job with informing us considering this all went down on friday, and it's only Tuesday. Have to give props to them for that.

As I expected, the US leg is postponed to be rescheduled which is the best thing for him and his recovery.. I wish him well and Bono YOU BETTER LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTORS.. :madwife:

Am still going to Toronto and Chicago in July and make a nice vacation out of it.. Sad that I won't be seeing them there but I am ok with that.

I'm really glad Bono is doing fine, that's the most important thing. I'm sad that the North American leg is postponed, but I hope I can make the rescheduled date for Miami, which is TBA. Just wish Bono a speedy recovery, it was very serious.:sad:

good to hear that they caught the fragments early. that can be bad.

if the entire US leg gets postponed until next year, i wonder if it changes the new album timeline at all for better or worse.

NEWs AT LAST - from U2.com

25 May 2010
Bono has now been discharged from Ludwig Maximilians-University (LMU) Hospital in Munich where he underwent emergency surgery on Friday, following a back injury. In order to fully recover, he is under doctor's orders to start a rehabilitation program and to recuperate for at least eight weeks.

Dr Muller Wohlfahrt confirmed, 'Bono suffered severe compression of the sciatic nerve. On review of his MRI scan, I realized there was a serious tear in the ligament and a herniated disc, and that conservative treatment would not suffice. I recommended Bono have emergency spine surgery with Professor Tonn at Munich's LMU University Hospital on Friday.'

Professor Tonn, who carried out the operation, added, 'Bono was referred to me by Dr Muller Wohlfahrt late last week with a sudden onset disease. He was already in severe pain with partial paralysis in the lower leg. The ligament surrounding the disc had an 8mm tear and during surgery we discovered fragments of the disc had traveled into the spinal canal. This surgery was the only course of treatment for full recovery and to avoid further paralysis. Bono is now much better, with complete recovery of his motor deficit. The prognosis is excellent but to obtain a sustainable result, he must now enter a period of rehabilitation'.

Dr Muller Wohlfahrt continued, 'We are treating Bono as we would treat any of our athletes and while the surgery has gone very well, the coming weeks are crucial for a return to full health. In the next days, he will start a light rehabilitation program, with increasing intensity over the next 8 weeks. In our experience, this is the minimum time.'

Great news that he is now much better.

dayum. disc sequestration ain't no joke!! emergency surgery indeed. cauda equina syndrome suuuuucks. in addition to pain, that can also cause loss of bladder and bowel function, which would make for a pretty shitty show.

thank you, thank you, i'm here til friday.

on the plus side, the middle of winter is a good time for those baseball stadiums to be available.

especially in montreal :love:

dayum. disc sequestration ain't no joke!! emergency surgery indeed. in addition to pain, that can also cause loss of bladder and bowel function, which would make for a pretty shitty show.

And that was exactly the info I didn't want to know about! :yikes:

So, "emergency surgery" wasn't too strong a word :huh:

Yeah, wow. Glad to hear he's on the road to recovery and I hope he's at least feeling a little better now despite just having surgery. But, wow, it sounds like he had some scary moments there.

As for my tour plans, those will wait for whenever they come back and at least I can start to unravel them today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom