Bono's rockstar posturing in U23D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Superflysrb

The Fly
So I saw the movie last night...and well, while I enjoyed it...I couldn't help but get annoyed at how Bono's rock star posturing has gotten really cheesy.
Was it always this bad?
He was cool on Zoo TV and Popmart and in Elevation he kept it in check...but it just seems like recently he's become a rockstar cliche with his poses and what appears like choreographed movements (i.e. I'm gonna take off my sunglasses now and look at the camera).
Maybe it's become U2 has become more middle of the road as of late...and since they're always trying to get a more mainstream audience he feels he needs to pander to that...but, I dunno...it just seemed so cheesy.
Am I alone on this?

bong7bp.gif

I haven't see the film as of yet. Since, I suffer from migraine headaches. I may have to pass on this. But, I understand your point.

Bono does pose for the cameras. It is purposeful and calculated. Perhaps, he feels it connects him with the audience, especially the young women. Who scream with delight. When, Bono performs certain gestures and dance moves.

To me, this was kind of derived from Zoo TV, but he no longer saw the intended bullshit as ironic and silly, and instead thought duplicating some of that wackiness was nothin' but the Road to Cool for the youths.

however I may be wrong.

I just saw Van Halen last night w/ David Lee Roth as the frontman........Bono is doing just fine.

The Sad Punk said:
To me, this was kind of derived from Zoo TV, but he no longer saw the intended bullshit as ironic and silly, and instead thought duplicating some of that wackiness was nothin' but the Road to Cool for the youths.

however I may be wrong.

I hope not, but I fear that you're right.

Gav, sometimes I wonder how I can take your posts too seriously. Because you have such a fantastic avatar that makes me chortle at the thought of it.

(I also 'hope not').

I saw the movie last night. I thought Bono's posing was appropriate & just what I expected from post-Joshua Tree Bono. He's probably the most famous rock star in the world; I don't mind his posturing, since it's kind of expected from people in that position.

I'm one of those 25-year U2 fans who thinks they're better now than they've ever been, both live and on record.

However, those poses bug the hell out of me too. It's not just the poses either. It's the dumpy black jackets, the stringy long hair and the ubiquitous colored shades, but that's another topic.

I think Bono thinks his sweeping gestures have to be as big as his music. Jim Kerr used to do the same thing. And he has to do SOMETHING up there, but he really should tone down the "rockstar" posturing. It's really not who he is and we all know it.

I've always found Bono at his most endearing at the end of the show, during One, Walk On, 40 or Yahweh, when the mask comes off and he becomes himself again.

Watch the JT concert from the anniversary edition and you'll see the same thing. It's just as choregraphed(pull the big man from the audience) and posed...

I think is just easier to watch a young man do this rather than a middle aged man...

LPU2 said:
I'm one of those 25-year U2 fans who thinks they're better now than they've ever been, both live and on record.

However, those poses bug the hell out of me too. It's not just the poses either. It's the dumpy black jackets, the stringy long hair and the ubiquitous colored shades, but that's another topic.

I think Bono thinks his sweeping gestures have to be as big as his music. Jim Kerr used to do the same thing. And he has to do SOMETHING up there, but he really should tone down the "rockstar" posturing. It's really not who he is and we all know it.

I've always found Bono at his most endearing at the end of the show, during One, Walk On, 40 or Yahweh, when the mask comes off and he becomes himself again.

Unless the rockstar posturing IS his real self and the 'sincerity' at the end of the show is the mask. Makes you think :hmm:

:scratch:

:laugh:

I'm not trying to be anti-Bono here...I just couldn't help but think some of his moves are so cheesy - like he's trying too hard. It's hard to take him seriously.

It doesn't bother me at all. A rockstar without posing isn't a rockstar. This is what makes Bono a good frontman, he's more than just a singer. That's the role he's playing in the band. Strangely, I found things he did in the past more annoying. It's all show and it's part of the band's greatness.

I kind of like the posing. Rock...or indie...has plenty of low key performers who "play the music and that is it"...personally, I like the theatricality of Bono's frontman work.

The Sad Punk said:

Is posing more important than talent, confidence, low fatigability and likability?

No, but Bono has all the attributes you named, at least in my opinion. But he's more than just a singer, songwriter, artist ... he's a great frontman and rockstar, that's why posing is part of the job description.

But from all the performances I've seen without Bono posing, I am very certain that the man indeed does have some talent. :wink:

Well.....I think he definately ramps it up for the camera. I attended the Chicago shows that were filmed for the Vertigo tour and noticed his posturing was alittle more exagurated. Then a few months later at the Cleveland show...he seemed toned down.

I sure its like being an actor on stage, you're noy just playing for the first three rows...you have to convay everything to the last three rows.

Plus, he's smallish so its cute.......:lol:

last unicorn said:
It doesn't bother me at all. A rockstar without posing isn't a rockstar. This is what makes Bono a good frontman, he's more than just a singer. That's the role he's playing in the band. Strangely, I found things he did in the past more annoying. It's all show and it's part of the band's greatness.
same here

I actually feel he has toned the posing down
or at least is doing it at more appropriate moments

partygirl43 said:
Well.....I think he definately ramps it up for the camera. I attended the Chicago shows that were filmed for the Vertigo tour and noticed his posturing was alittle more exagurated. Then a few months later at the Cleveland show...he seemed toned down.

I sure its like being an actor on stage, you're noy just playing for the first three rows...you have to convay everything to the last three rows.

I think you've got it right. Bono's poses and theatrical gestures have to be exaggerated enough for people in the nosebleeds to get it. Almost like opera.... Yes, it may look a bit silly to the folks down front - but they're so close they couldn't care less! :)

Watch a JT concert and see way more of the rock star posing. But so what... he is a rock star :shrug:
Would you rather he just stand there and sing? (or play guitar? :hmm: )
I think what he does now is fine, he's fun to watch, and I think you are seeing his personality come out when he sings. No way could he just stand there and sing. Also any posing done is always in personality with the song, so I think you are just seeing what he's feeling.

I don't mind him posing. He's an icon, so I wouldn't expect anything less from him.
Heck, I posed along with him :D

Back
Top Bottom