bono's house?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pattip2000 said:
^ don't people also do that at their studio?

I think so:yes: not sure though, I'm sure someone here can verify:)

I wanna write on his bathroom wall:scream::drool:

honeychild said:
whats the title of the Yeats poem? Its really nice, I´d like to read the whole thing. thanks

:wave: The poem is called He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven

pattip2000 said:
^ don't people also do that at their studio?

There is a wall opposite the studio and that's where people "leave messages" to the band.
To be honest, I don't think Bono is too happy with people writting on their gate. I once stood in front of the gate for a few seconds, just looking at it and a security guy told me through the inter phone to go away.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
To write on the gate is defacing an existing work of art.

Ok, I'll not mention it again:reject:

We have written on that wall opposie the studios dozens of times which everyone does but his house walls and gates is/should be out of bounds, as where Bono lives is a really pretty area.
Just why anyone would do it I don't know.:tsk:

Dismantled said:

not if it's invited

Ok, I really tried not to respond, but the thought of a fan reading these posts, getting the idea that it's ok to alter in any way Bono's property is just nuts.

I have been a member of interference for a while, and never posted anything argumentative.

But that message is just plain wrong.

It's his art, his gate. Get your own gate.

Writing on his gates is a no no. Does anyone know if he has ever mentioned that it was ok to write on his gates. I thought I heard somewhere that he said that it was okay to write on the wall opposite the studies? :shrug:

Earlier in the year I went to Dublin and went to B's house. I did not and would not write on the gates there - they look amazing though - I also got asked to move on when I had been there a little while!!

I did leave a message for the band on the wall outside Hanover Quay and also a message outside the old studios at Windmill Lane.

I am off to Dublin in Aug - can't wait. Taking some U2 fans who have not seen the sights - I wonder if we bump into B again!!!

Lisa

I would be really pissed if people write sth. on our walls/ gates at home. It's Bono's home and nobody has the right to "destroy" his gates. (by the way- I think the word "maus" could be part of the artwork itself ;))

But I think it's different with the walls outside the studios. If people wouldn't like it, there would be signs forbidding the writings.... It's getting an artwork itself ;)

Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but I believe it was the Irish artist Charlie Whisker that created the etchings.

Here's a section from an online article:

When Bono decided he wanted an imposing threshold for Temple Hill — his grand Georgian pile on Vico Road in Killiney — in 1993, he called in his mate, Charlie Whisker, the artist who helped design the album sleevework for Achtung Baby and Zooropa. “Bono gave me free rein. He had big, regular, wrought-iron entrance gates, but you could see through the bars into the house. They had become a mecca for fans from all over the world, who used to congregate there and hope to catch a glimpse of Bono,” he says.

Whisker placed 16 huge sheets of copper behind the 15ft gates and spent four months etching poems, quotes and other Bonoisms into the panels. “I stained the copper, so that it wouldn’t weather. I wanted it to fit in with the seaside surroundings and I wanted the gates to last. Hopefully, when U2 are dead and gone, fans will still congregate there, as they do outside Elvis’s gates in Graceland.”

Bono’s gates now contain quotes from Rimbaud, Shelley, ee cummings, Dylan Thomas, Lorca, Paul Celan, Yeats and Spike Milligan, as well as tributes to family, friends and worthy causes, including the Stardust dancers, the children of Chernobyl and, er, Les Dawson. “They’re all people that Bono feels a connection with. But he never gets to read all the inscriptions. He arrives in his car and is buzzed straight through to his sanctuary.”

Whisker’s creation proves that a set of pearly gates needn’t be a world away. James Miller, of Pikeman Forge in Co Wexford, hand-designs wrought-iron gates. “It’s bringing back the old forge tradition and is really more like artwork than engineering. No piece is the same and we can add whatever flourishes you want,” he says.

Val said:

Ok, I really tried not to respond, but the thought of a fan reading these posts, getting the idea that it's ok to alter in any way Bono's property is just nuts.

I have been a member of interference for a while, and never posted anything argumentative.

But that message is just plain wrong.

It's his art, his gate. Get your own gate.

tried...you've done nothing but instigate...I'm NOT saying it's ok. I'm saying it's a neat idea IF IF IF IF IF IF invited by the Hewsons..I don't know IF IF IF it is or not....I'm not even saying I'd do it, I don't think its ok to do it...you get your own gate........

Last edited:
Jim said:

Whisker placed 16 huge sheets of copper behind the 15ft gates and spent four months etching poems, quotes and other Bonoisms into the panels. /B]

Thanks for the info.

Thank you for all the infos. It's a shame that Bono does not get to read all the inscriptions because people would be bothering him. There are some of my favourite poets, I think it's great. Maybe he had it done for the people outside, since he cannot read much of it himself. And I find it wrong for fans to write something on the gates, they are his private property after all.

Jim, I remember that article too. I thought this last paragraph from it was also very revealing:

"Even Bono’s threshold is primarily a security barrier. “The largest inscriptions,” says Whisker, “are two idioms: procul este, profani, meaning ‘keep your distance, uninitiated one’, and lasciate ogni speranza voi chentrate, which translates as ‘abandon all hope ye who enter here’.”

Greenlight said:
Jim, I remember that article too. I thought this last paragraph from it was also very revealing:

"Even Bono’s threshold is primarily a security barrier. “The largest inscriptions,” says Whisker, “are two idioms: procul este, profani, meaning ‘keep your distance, uninitiated one’, and lasciate ogni speranza voi chentrate, which translates as ‘abandon all hope ye who enter here’.”

Wow - I missed that in my haste. Very interesting and probably the most insightful post in this thread.

Greenlight said:

Just to make the italian inscription clear: "Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate" it's taken from Dante's Divine Comedy (more specifically from "The Hell") while Dante itself is going to enter the Hell's Gate and read this at the top it...quite scary :shifty:

moreover I searched for "procul este profani" and it can be found in the most important work by Virgil (Aeneid, Book VI), a latin writer, which is also the guide to Dante in the Divine Comedy.

Bona Vox said:

There is a wall opposite the studio and that's where people "leave messages" to the band.
To be honest, I don't think Bono is too happy with people writting on their gate. I once stood in front of the gate for a few seconds, just looking at it and a security guy told me through the inter phone to go away.

Yeah, that happened to my mum too. She was taking a pic of the gate and the security guy told her to go away. I thought it was funny, but if it had happened to me, i'd have died. I was down in Dublin for the weekend for my birthday and decided on the Saturday morning that i wanted to go to Killiney and of course my (long suffering) mum came with me. Now my mum aint the healthiest of people and that big hill nearly killed her, so she decided to go and sit on a little bench to have a rest. So she said to me 'where is Bono's house?' and although i know what it looks like i have know idea where the hell it is. Just as i said that this car pulls up just in front of us with a rather pissed off looking woman in the front and although she looked familiar it still hadnt registered who the hell she was. It wasnt til one of the boys in the back of the car smiled and waved at me, that i finally realised that the woman was Ali and John was waving at me from the back of the car. I've never felt that sick in my life when i realised i was standing outside Bono's house, i went into panic mode and decided that i wanted to go just i case Bono was there and decided to come out ( yeah i know i'm weird!!). I dont know if he was ther and to be honest i dont really care. I dont know why, maybe i'm the only one who feels like this but i felt guilty for being there. I regret going and wish i'd never have even thought about it.

Thank you for the great information about the gates. I think its so neat when people have art mixed in with something that serves a real function in life.

Lil Bono don't feel to bad. Its not like you set out to do something wrong. I imagine they are use to seeing people there. And you never know Ali may have just been having a rough day and it had nothing to do with you. :hug:

As for Bonos house and the gates I think we should all treat them how we would want to be treated. I would not want someone defacing my property. At the end of the day we have to consider that all the band members are human and have families. They need to live their lives too and have time with their families. Respect them and treat them how you'd like to be treated and I think you'll be okay. :heart:

Russty Cat said:
At the end of the day we have to consider that all the band members are human and have families. They need to live their lives too and have time with their families. Respect them and treat them how you'd like to be treated and I think you'll be okay. :heart:

Yes! Respect is the name of the game. I could never even think about approaching his home. Studio? Yes, concert venue, yes....
but I wouldn't dream of intruding on his family time. I would feel like Bona Vox, extremely guilty for even being in the vincinity even if it was a mistake!

Thanks for all the information on Bono's gates

I just was wondering what was written on them because I know there are poems, etc.

As for people visiting his home, I think that most U2 fans are kind and respectful and realize that it is a person's home and he shares it with his family.

Thanks for the pics and for the information everyone.

Peace!

Mary Iris

:wink: Thank u all for sharing your pics! the mouse Is kinda cute!! And I agree.......I wouldn't write on Bono's walls or gates! I wouldn't like it!! And to BonoVox.....I think they know the difference between fans and others.....if you know what I mean!

Has anyone seen/read anything about a conservatory that is being built there? I thought I read a while ago, that plans were approved and renovations were taking place- come on, i'm sure someone is on top of this.....:hmm:

and Does anyone have any info about the inside of his house and what it looks like???? I'd love to know.....

I have been to Bono's house as well and they are all photos of the same house and yes you can see over into his yard which also has a tennis court...

Did you know that Google Earth's newer version actually has Bono's house listed on there with a "Google push pin"? I was totally surprised!!! I wonder if he is aware of this, because I would think if he did know, he would have it taken off..... Like I said, I was really shocked...

Back
Top Bottom