Bono undergoes emer. surgery -- tour impact forthcoming!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't get enough of an internet crash course. I would have thought to try and patch him up with duct tape and daisies.

I was told that in Pleba, they;ve been talking for more than two weeks about Bono seeing a back doctor in Munich.

So I doubt very much this was an "emergency the way we think of an emergency. I just bet Bono was putting this off until after the tour until suddenly he couldn't. It appears that he could have had this surgery at least two weeks ago.

If that's the case, then he should have had the surgery after the last leg.

I don't think Bono looked out of shape recently at all. A couple of years ago he had a few extra pounds on him but seeing them up close last year both he and all other band mates look lean and mean. I reckon they all work with personal trainers on tour fitness.

Bono has actually lost weight recently. He looked quite slim in NY when he went to a couple of events in the last weeks. I think he was really getting ready for the tour. Maybe he worked out a little too much.

If that's the case, then he should have had the surgery after the last leg.

I can't imagine that's the case here. I don't think it's an unreasonable guess to think that he recently had some increased back pain/issues, and then all of a sudden it's worse, and the options are "surgery and we'll see; or no chance of doing the tour."

/irrelevant two cents

All things considered, we all would be wise to wait for official word on Monday. Yes, it's frustrating. My summer vacation revolves around taking my 4 yr old to the MI show.

But if it was truly something that would have Bono out of commission for more than a few weeks, we'd have heard about it and the entire NA leg would be postponed. All they've done is postpone SLC. Odds are Anaheim and maybe even Denver will be postponed as well.

B's had back problems for years now, well documented ones. This 'emergency' surgery was probably Paul McG's way of saying they couldn't put it off until after the tour. And one of the doctors treating B is using holistic type therapies that obviously work, or he wouldn't be so well-received. Add to that the fact that Larry Mullen Jr. has gone to Germany for regular treatments/injections using bull's blood since the 90s... obviously the treatment works for Larry and not a one of you complains. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Larry himself suggested B see a doctor who uses these sorts of treatments.

As hard as it is to wait, we all need to quit over-analyzing every detail and speculating about B's condition. The band will tell us what we need to know, and how it will affect the tour.
:zen:
Thank you.... Finally a rational thought from someone. very well thought out and I totally agree. It's hard on everyone with travel plans. lets hope for the best and i'm sure u2.com will release info asap

I didn't get enough of an internet crash course. I would have thought to try and patch him up with duct tape and daisies.

You mean that doesn't work? :sad:

Maybe if you dip the daisies in bull's blood.... :hmm:

He is also the doctor who successfully treated the bedridden and misdiagnosed (for 18 months) golfer José María Olazábal, who then went on to win the Masters.

Yes, well..... Lets see what happens a few years down the road. I believe in Holistic medicine, but you better be darn certain you know what the 20 injections this guy is giving you, and what's in it besides Calves Blood ( a major problem in itself ) just for the sake of getting on a stage in a week. One would think that Bono hopes to be around for a while . The same motivation that would cause an athlete to do this, isn't really the same as a performer. Look at the Stones, can still rock and move with the best. Don't know any 60 year old football players.

There is no data, nor has he published any papers . He has no "self studies" but is prone to bragging about who he treats . It's dangrous on the surface for many reasons.

It is no big deal to cancel a few shows . Even a part of a tour. A patient of mine who first brought them to Florida says that this is always factored into the equation. Especially something this size. He said any money lost ( he was inclined to support the post from the Phone call poster ( sorry don't know his name ) that they would cancel it in portions. They can always make up the lost money by additions at the end.

Depending on his recovery , he would be safe to start PT 6-8 weeks ( in general ) and a month or so of that, he could most likely begin again. Unless it was multiple disks etc. He has to heal.

But the person who said it would be emotional return, I bet so. He is going to feel way better than he did , most likely better than he has for a long time .

As I said, pain drains everything out of you . Especially lower back pain. One of the worst things imaginable. He will feel much much better. That's a good thing .

lol

negativity ? internet experts ?

i am 43 . When i was 20 a knee twist would keep me off the football field for a a few days . That same knee twist will keep me out a month if it happened now LOL .

the report said "EMERGENCY SURGERY" .

he got cut open .

we are not talking about a 50 year old Sting who does Yoga and is in super fantastic athletic shape to begin with.

its the wine drinking ,sometimes smokin, only works out before a tour leg starts, Bono

who is a workaholic and probably gets the least amount of rest of any human being on the planet . i don`t know how he does it .

I can't imagine that's the case here. I don't think it's an unreasonable guess to think that he recently had some increased back pain/issues, and then all of a sudden it's worse, and the options are "surgery and we'll see; or no chance of doing the tour."

/irrelevant two cents

all of a sudden it's worse, and the options are "surgery and we'll see; or no chance of doing the tour

Exactly .

lol

i am 43 . When i was 20 a knee twist would keep me off the football field for a a few days . That same knee twist will keep me out a month if it happened now LOL .

he got cut open .

we are not talking about a 50 year old Sting who does Yoga and is in super fantastic athletic shape to begin with.

its the wine drinking ,sometimes smokin, only works out before a tour leg starts, Bono

who is a workaholic and probably gets the least amount of rest of any human being on the planet . i don`t know how he does it .

He was pretty heavy when he was in Miami a couple of months back

lol

he got cut open .

you are probably right, but regardless i think it is best if we just quit speculating and wait until McG or u2.com releases some information. I mean, what else can we do?

U2.com probably had the whole thing wrong, and the news wires picked it up from there.

It was Adam, not Bono.

He has a bad cold, not a bad back.

He went to Sweden for treatment.

In 2008, I had tickets to see My Morning Jacket on my 41st birthday.

Jim James hurt his back & the shows I had tickets for were cancelled. I got refunds from TM & airline credits from Southwest. When the shows were rescheduled, I was busy & could not go. Life went on.

I'll be curious to see how this all turns out for Bono, for the band, for the fans. I am trying to let go & let God on this one, as the saying goes.

Here is a piece we just posted on the homepage. We welcome your comments there:

Weekend Speculation: U2 Fans & Tour Plans : U2 Interference – U2 Fans, Pop Culture Webzine, & More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom