Bono, The Edge & Martin Garrix team up for EURO 2020

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pains me to say that this is the weightless Spotify playlist hit they’ve been chasing for 3 albums. Processed and devoid of any identifiable U2-ness (or in this case, Edge) in the music. Maybe they should put the RedOne shit out just to continue getting this crap out of their system and see if anything sticks.

This might get some radio airplay is what I was thinking too...

:wave:

Well, definitely over Get Out, at least.

Bono sounds great on the chorus.

The Edge should have stayed at home, looks like he's following his SOE habit of letting other people do the work for him.

Your opinions are fucking ludicrous sometimes man :lol: Surely you can at the very least admit that it's ridiculous to express some warmth towards this song but then knock all of Coldplay's songs which sound exactly the same (but I would argue are marginally better because Martin is younger and his voice suits it more).

He doesn't sound good. He doesn't sound awful, but he does sound bland, there's no character there, the lyrics are garbage and yet another entry into the 6+ word nonsensical U2 song canon, Edge's guitar and the whole sound is just saccharine, sugary, EDMy trash that could have been performed by literally anyone. The only part I don't outright dislike is his hushed vocals halfway through the song.

Looking forward to going to a U2 concert in 2023 where a third of the playlist is songs from the last five years, but they only play the objectively terrible ones, and I have to stand there through Get Out, this song, Ordinary Love, Best Thing, American Soul, 13 etc just to hear some of my favourite songs. Sigh. (though I do like Love is Bigger). :wave:

I don't hate the song, it's functional background music for ads, but it sounds completely devoid of any grit or spontaneity. I can't fucking believe two people involved in the making of this song recorded Zoo Station and Acrobat.

Pains me to say that this is the weightless Spotify playlist hit they’ve been chasing for 3 albums. Processed and devoid of any identifiable U2-ness (or in this case, Edge) in the music. Maybe they should put the RedOne shit out just to continue getting this crap out of their system and see if anything sticks.

Not a bad point. Actually, this could be a good thing for U2 fans if they get these kinds of songs out of their system.

Confused about the “lack of Edge” comments. The first thing you hear is some unmistakeable edge delay…

… that sounds like a synthesizer loop instead of a guitar.

It’s a fair criticism.

Yeah, for those who have been constantly annoyed with Bono squeezing as many words as he can in the verses/chorus, this one is an improvement.

Dare I say I like the song? I mean, put it against other non album tracks like Window in the Skies, The Saints Are Coming, even Ordinary Love, I'd probably pick this one first.

I don't hate the song, it's functional background music for ads, but it sounds completely devoid of any grit or spontaneity. I can't fucking believe two people involved in the making of this song recorded Zoo Station and Acrobat.

Its a tune for a sports event.

Not new U2 material.

Yeah, seriously, delete Get Out, replace Best Thing with the Kygo version and put this song next to it, and you have a fun first half of SOE.

On subsequent listens, chorus is pretty sturdy, and it has a let’s-run-wild-now-that-we-vax’d vibe to it.

It’s totally u2-does-Coldplay-doing-u2 though. As many have said.

That's alright I think.

Its a collaboration with a Dutch DJ for an up coming footy tournament based in Europe, so it does exactly what it says on the tin - from the production to the lyrics to the sound mix. Bono is sounding ok, is restrained with it and a nice bit of Edge at the start.

Annoyingly after a single listen the melody is already stuck in my head.

Back
Top Bottom