Bono needs to plan a full scale DATA Concert.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
He really should plan one.
Like on a Live Aid scale.
I think it would be a hit.
He should invite dignitaries from all countries.
Bands and performers that are serious about Aids/Africa.

No posers or social climbers should be invited.
Proceeds go to the appropiate places..the people in crisis in Africa.

DB9

*edited to fix typo in thread title

Last edited by a moderator:
no it needs to be grand.

Polictians w genuine compasssion should attend.
Leaders from different contries should attend.
This would add clout to the cause.

Only artists w genuine concern could perform.

All proceeds should go to Africa straight away..
fuck this vote and that vote.

No committees or red tape.

The fence sitters would come off the fence and perform, the phonies would scurry like coackroaches in mid day light.

fuck this person posturing this way and that way.

This event would shine a light on who were real and who were not.
It could be a festival similar to Live Aid going on simutaneously for 2-3 days on 3 different continents.

Bono could fly to venue to venue if he chose.

At least a half a billion dollars would b raised in a weekend earmarked for those that need it the most to be delivered per Data's discretion.

Just a thought w/the anniversary of Live Aid and that..

diamonodbruno.

I wouldnt surprise if Mr Bono hasn't been toying w this idea already, running around w Geldof and that.

putting those 2 together could spark something..:)

DB9

Interesting you should mention this because I was just getting ready to post that I read in my paper this morning Carlos Santana is giving all net proceeds from the second leg of his Shaman tour to the African AIDS crisis. He's donating through a southern Cal. orgainization, Artists for Africa and AIDS or something like that. I thought, if they can do it so can DATA!

I agree with you Diamond ? there should be a huge DATA concert for Africa. Like Live Aid but much bigger. Look at the SARS Concert for Toronto. They?re now talking about 500-000 people attending. They were calling it the concert of the century and then the concert of the decade and now it?s the concert of the year. Good cause. SARS killed a couple dozen people and hurt the Toronto economy. But what about the AIDS epidemic and emergency in Africa! What about the ?economy? of an entire continent!

On the Friday before the Special Olympics opening ceremony it was announced that the SOS Mandela Concert for AIDS in Africa was rescheduled for late November. Great! Better than nothing. The original concert was going to take place on the island where Mandela was imprisoned. Some big names were going to perform. I think Elton John / Queen / etc. But only a few thousand invited guests. This could be much bigger. Why not get as many big artists as possible and particularly those who have a commitment to social justice. Imagine a ?number? of simultaneous concerts around the world with U2 / Radiohead / Coldplay / Springsteen / REM / etc. It could be a tremendous educational and awareness raising event for society in general and for this new generation who have grown up on Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears. These young people are growing up. A large demographic ? the children of the baby boomers. What will be their world-view and social commitment when they are in college?

Did Live Aid spark a movement ? inspire a shift in music? Yes during the post- Live Aid years we still had the popularity of Bon Jovi and Def Leppard but we also saw the spotlight shine on artists like Peter Gabriel / U2 / Midnight Oil / REM / etc. We witnessed The Conspiracy Of Hope Tour / Artists Against Apartheid / etc. Maybe a DATA Concert For Africa could do a similar thing?

Leeloo said:
Interesting you should mention this because I was just getting ready to post that I read in my paper this morning Carlos Santana is giving all net proceeds from the second leg of his Shaman tour to the African AIDS crisis. He's donating through a southern Cal. orgainization, Artists for Africa and AIDS or something like that. I thought, if they can do it so can DATA!

That's really good to hear, I really like Santana. :up: and I agree with you, U2Soar. Especially about the SARS thing. Not that people shouldn't care about SARS, but they're not realizing how the same problem has already existed for the past two decades. It makes me think of last week, I saw 28 Days Later with some guy friends and on the way out, one said "wow, I hope something like that never happens..." and I thought "but it already is."

Last edited:
Yeah too bad Net Aid didn't make a big splash. At least it was something! It came at a point when Bono was just starting his campaign for Africa (and other places). Four years later Bono has gotten tremendous press and the success of ATYLCB and the Elevation Tour doesn't hurt : - ) He's getting nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize every year! Mandela is not gonna be with us forever. Artists Against Aids Worldwide should really take advantage of this SOS Mandela Concert in November. How cold is it at the Giants Stadium in late November? (The What's Going On single didn't do much either due to 9 / 11)

I think this is a great idea! :up:

But I think some African performers should be included in the line-up with everyone else.

Perle

Leeloo said:

More proof that Santana's a cool guy. :). Yay for him. :up:.

Diamond, that is an excellent idea. Absolutely excellent. I hope someone who can make this sort of thing happen is reading this right now, 'cause that would be a great event.

Angela

I heard this today also, Carlos Santana donating concert proceeds to the African Aids crisis. :up: This is indeed good news and an good indication of the calibre of performers that will be at the world tour kick off of U2 and friends. I'm thinking positive, and diamond you're right,:yes: this is right down U2's alley. You can bet it's in the planning stages as we speak.:dance:

Last edited:
Diamond what an inspiration you are!!
What you need to do is send a detailed email to DATA with a proposal, offering assistance etc if you want to.
Also ask for a reply please!
I have emailed them several about setting up DATA in Australia, but I have never recieved a reply.
Good Luck

Pamela

Last edited:
diamond said:
*edited to fix typo in thread title [/B]

sicy-
you realize that
youre the only mod who ever disclosed this type of info..thx for your help regardless:wink:

Thanks for all the responses people:)

This event would need to eclispe Live Aid in bredth width and scope.
With Bono's name recognition nowadays I think he is postioned to do this.
I could see his parents Bobby and Iris smiling down upon him if he were to pull this feat off.

Generations to come would love him.:larry:

diamondbruno
:dance:

Last edited:
Diamond - any way you can use your connections with Bono to get this off the ground? I wrote this letter during the first week of June. It was great to hear that the SOS Mandela concert was rescheduled at the end of June. My concern is that it will receive a 45 second soundbite at the end of the evenintg news in the "notes from around the world" segment. It is now probably too late to organize something for August 28 but not for November 30. And instead 2 concerts it could be 15 across the world. Just a few months ago millions and millions of people around the world came out to protest the war against Iraq. Weren't many surprised to see such numbers?

Dear Nelson Mandela ? Bono ? Bob Geldof - Quincy Jones - Artists Against AIDS Worldwide - Oprah ? Muhummad Ali ? Kofi Annan ? Bobby Shriver ? Jeffrey Sachs - Bill Gates - DATA

2 Benefit Concerts To Commemorate The 40th Anniversary Civil Rights March And MLK?s ?I Have A Dream? Speech In Washington D.C. August 28, 1963 And To Raise Awareness / Funds For The AIDS Emergency In Africa / DATA - World Wide Broadcast

Hearing the new and inspiring version of U2?s Where The Streets Have No Name by Richie Bailey (mixing in the snippet of ?Let Freedom Ring? from the ?I Have A Dream? MLK speech on August 28,1963) got me thinking about MLK and how Bono mentioned him at the end of the Oprah interview last September. At the time, I thought it would be a great idea for Bono to be involved in organizing a march in Washington on August 28, 2003 in order to commemorate the 40th anniversary of MLK?s march and his ?I Have A Dream? speech. This anniversary march can be an occasion to call for a further realization of the equality of African Americans in the U.S. and a connection to the human rights campaign for Africans (DATA). I hope something happens. Hey, Bono could even sing the song ?40? at the event!

There was going to be a benefit concert earlier this year in South Africa with Nelson Mandela regarding the AIDS epidemic in Africa but it was canceled. Why not have 2 worldwide televised benefit concerts on August 28th ? one in Washington D.C. and the second in South Africa? There is the wonderful connection between the social justice leaders Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela. I imagine that if MLK were alive today that among the things he would be advocating and campaigning for would include the principles and proposals of the DATA organization. There is the connection between the struggle and the success of the civil rights movement for African Americans and applying that inspiration and commitment to the emergency and the human rights of Africans in Africa. I would like to see Nelson Mandela make a new I Have A Dream speech on August 28. This time the powerful and historic speech can be for Africans and for all of humanity.

There was the effort of the benefit / awareness What?s Going On? CD single and video by Artists Against AIDS Worldwide in 2001. Due to 9/11 it did not receive that much attention. This August 28th event could resurrect it. Bono co-wrote a song ?48864? with Joe Strummer for the canceled South African AIDS concert. He has said that it will be released on an AIDS emergency album coming out this Fall.

There is the new song ?American Prayer? from the ?Heart Of America? Tour formally recorded in New York on December 10, 2002. This August 28th event could be an excellent means to promote this AIDS emergency album. A live album and DVD too. The DVD could be filled with an assortment of educational features.

This August 28th event can be one of the steps in fulfilling what was started at Live Aid in 1985. This August 28th event can be done! They brought together the 9/11 America: A Tribute To Heroes in a week! Thank you for your consideration.

Check out a new mix of Where The Streets Are Free At Last:
http://www.bailey7.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/u2tv.htm

U2Soar-
THAT is a beautifully written letter:up:

What Ive found w Bono is that usually what his fans are thinking..its already crossed his mind. :yes:
A sub-conscious thing.
I really dont have any "connections" w Bono other than an occassional hello when he sees me from a far..its not like were going to lunch next Tues.:sexywink:

I think altho Aug 28 is an excellent date..w all the planning at that..it would prolly take 6 months or better to pull it off right.

DB9

I think this is a brilliant idea and I also think they could charge big money and people would feel good about spending it.

Get the right lineup of bands that are supportive of helping out the African crisis, like say Coldplay and Radiohead and this thing would be huge.

Hey Guys

Ya it is a great idea regarding the concert. I am sure too it has crossed Bono's mind once or twice about a DATA sponsored concert in support of Africa. I am not sure at all what the position of DATA is on this though.. I have chatted a few times with folks from there about getting something started up in Canada and they are really into that. You can imagine though how many request they get a day about Bono alone.. sorting through all those can be a process. I know they are loaded with responses from the 46664 concert and also Bono's speech in Canada.

If folks here wanna get a movement going for a concert let me know if we are all serious about it we can find out what is happening and what we can do something seriously. In the next post I am attaching my letter to Bono for ineterest.

Cheers
Kate

November 21, 2003

Dear Bono,

Please accept the following letter as my thanks for all of you work with DATA and your efforts and concern towards Africa. As well as my commitment to do my part, to do our part in Canada

I want to thank you, for coming to the Liberal Convention in Canada. I know you have probably heard from many people and had lots of feedback, but I am sending this just as well because you genuinely have my utmost thanks. Speaking with Carla Walker at DATA Office in Washington I know they have been overwhelmed by the e-mails and calls from Canadians. It?s created a ripple effect of people wanting to get involved and this is great news, truly greatly news. Of course thanks goes to Paul Martins as well, he allowed you to give us a history lesson in Canada on what has been going on in Africa. Even with my prior knowledge and interest in the situation I too was caught up in the power of you speech. I thought yes this is really going to do it, this is going to set Canadians hearts afire on this and it did. It was like you were whispering this dreadful secret in the ear of millions of Canadians. But this has never been a secret has it. For many Canadians there has been an imaginary border protecting us shielding us from our responsibility as moral and global citizens. The distance for some Canadians has made Africa and this emergency seem worlds apart for to long. You know the statistics and numbers and figures as well as anyone so this letter is not to regurgitate that.

Even with Paul Martins best intentions, and I do believe his desire to act on this to be true, he will get caught up in the games of politics. We know this is not just on the shoulder of politicians. It is our job as civilians in Canada as those that hold the votes and their fate to step up and take action, to not let our government off the hook. Paul Martin has said it is a worthy objective but not a commitment. We will be as much a pain in the ass to him as you promised to be Bono. We know it will be difficult, but it is not impossible and it should have been done long ago. We have much more work to do and miles to go before we sleep on this in Canada.

It is our conscience that leads us from the safety of doing what is popular and politically correct into doing what is morally right. We sit and through stones until the day our conscience tells us not one of has the right to even throw a grain of sand let alone a pebble. Being global citizens, being morally responsible means taking action and taking responsibility for what we do and how we treat others not just those in our own Country. My family and friends sometimes look at me with that ? you can?t change the world? I am not nearly naive enough to think that, but who am I not to do my part. The guilt for me comes in not paying enough attention before. To you I owe a sincere debt of gratitude I saw the interview you gave on Oprah and for whatever reason it lit a greater fire under me. After my emotions calmed down I was left with a aching ball in the pit of my stomach, I knew why it was there, its that feeling that continues to drive me to do something and to do more. The statistics became more then numbers they became faces and people for me. The orphaned child became the face that needs their mother every bit as much as I still need mine at 27.

I was raised catholic but can?t claim to be very good at it. I do have great faith and what I am is very grateful for the lessons it has taught me that transcend organized religion . I believe in ?love thy neighbour? not as a religious ideal but as a guideline for humanity, that an African life is every bit as
valuable as a mine or any Canadians. Herman Melville said ? We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibres connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibres as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to effect us?. I know if we neglect this emergency in Africa, the fall out will effect our children?s, children?s, children. I am just as guilty as any politician with their fake promises if I sit back and do nothing, I know that and many Canadian know that as well. I promise you we will not sit still with this.

Look I know people aren?t going to line up to hear me speak, and god help everyone if I start to sing. But I have passion and a little bit of that irish charm and I will use all the potential in me to make a difference that I promise you. I am fortunate to love what I do, everyday working in public relations in the non profit sector I see the power of the human spirit . So I will take what I am good at , what I know I can use and do something with that, I can only hope it helps My idea is this,

Building on the momentum and success of your speech at the convention and the publicity that has been created around it. Now is an opportune time to create a program in Canada similar to your Hearts of America tour in the United States. It will give us the opportunity to create awareness, in schools, in churches and in variety of places to educate and to unite our efforts to really turn the tide on this. I have been in touch with many organizations about this and there is much interest. I have in the past couple of months been in touch with your organization DATA, especially Carla Walker.. great group pf people by the way. As well as with people like George from Much Music, students, churches, NGO?s. So I am really confident that we will get something together. Of course if you have any ideas on this feel free to pass them my way, I of course value your input and always could use the help.

I am sure that you do not my help Bono, but if there is anything I can do on my end I am right beside you on this. I know the work that goes into doing what you do and I greatly admire your genuine care and concern and your determination. It can?t be easy when you have so much else in your life.

I have to thank you to for the kind words on Canada as well on a side note. I have always been very proud of where I come from and the ideals our Country represents. I will be in Ireland in January and look forward to that famous Irish hospitality, hope they have the Guinness ready ( ha!).

The wisdom of the heart can be found at any age. It is a temper of will, a quality of the imagination, a vigour of emotions that sometimes prevail. Sir my greatest respect and thanks to you. I wish you and U2 all the best with the record and with all your endeavours. And I wish you and yours good health!

Godspeed,

Kate

Hey

I have heard off and on from DATA on many occasions and havemade some contacts there. I have not sent that letter though .. not yet.

Kate

Back
Top Bottom