Bono interview in Australian Press - Danger Mouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why don't they try a new model of release? Robyn's "Body Talk" series was an interesting model. Release an EP every few months, each with a couple bonus tracks, or acoustic versions of other songs to come on future installments, then release the "uber version" later on?

Or dont? If you Have 9 projects but only 3-7 songs per project (or genre or tone or whatever they consider each one) just have them released as groupings unto themselves.

12 track Danger Mouse album
7 track Club record
5 track Rubin Sessions EP

Why not?
Just get the music out!

I mean, I'm all for attempting to create the perfect album, but being as "prolific" as they are at their age and yet not releasing so much of it, I just dont see the logic in that.

Then again I'm biased cos i'm impatient and i always want more U2 music "NOW!"

check out this interview:

YouTube - Interview Broken Bells - Brian Burton (Danger Mouse) and James Mercer

interesting to hear DM talk about wanting to get more involved in writing and performing. I wonder he is taking a similar role to Eno/Lanois on NLOTH and contributing to this album's songwriting.

I really think he is exactly what U2 need. They seem to work best when they have someone who can offer musical cues from which to build songs. DM will do as Lanois/Eno, only his contribution is probably quite different.. a fresh approach.. a new frame, new perspective.. all that jazz :hyper:

I thought it was interesting to see that the Rolling Stone review of "Broken Bells" called the track "October" "U2-flavored."

I'm not sure I hear it, but it might be worth checking out.

I don't know if this has been pointed out, but the Danger Mouse album is supposed to be "the rock album" the band have been discussing for some time now.. a separate entity from SOA, Spidey and the club album.

at least, that's how the Guardian is describing it (rehash of Sydeny Herald article)
U2 recording album with Danger Mouse | Music | guardian.co.uk

Huh. It definitely does sound like a rehash, except I don't remember the original article specifying that the DM album is the rock album. This article doesn't have any direct quotes stating that it is, either. I wonder if they've gotten other information but have decided not to directly quote it, or if they've just making assumptions.

Huh. It definitely does sound like a rehash, except I don't remember the original article specifying that the DM album is the rock album. This article doesn't have any direct quotes stating that it is, either. I wonder if they've gotten other information but have decided not to directly quote it, or if they've just making assumptions.
Yeah, from the sound of things, they don't know what they're talking about. Personally, I'm guessing that SOA and the rock album have been combined, with the best songs from each project being used for this.

Here's what scares me from the article. Bono is disappointed that NLOTH didn't have significant radio airplay. Hell, the best stuff on that album was the least radio friendly. (Getting a song on the radio) "That's our drug of choice now". If that's the case, my suggestion is go to rehab immediately and kick that habit. When the band focuses on getting airplay we get stuff like "The Saints are coming". While the song by itself is fine, I don't think it makes any new fans and it sure as hell doesn't give the established fan base (whether you are into Pre-Achtung U2 or Achtung/Post-Achtung U2) anything more than a sugar high. While I'm sure that subconsciously U2 was hoping for a killer single off of Achtung, I don't think it was their primary driver and at least they didn't let that want get in the way of letting the music speak for itself. During that time period we got singles like The Fly. While it ended up being a moderately successful single, it had an ulterior motive; get people talking and excited about U2 and what they're doing. Let's all be honest about this band, they put out their best work when they have motives outside of trying to chase top 40 radio. I know it's not the best parallel, but I'd much rather see the band grow old gracefully (like Springsteen or Dylan) by putting out music that challenges themselves and their listeners rather than ensure that they get a song out that Seacrest is going to play. Please, just let the music speak for itself.

i've got to admit, all this stuff going on in U2 world is kind of exciting. it's so much more relaxed, they're playing unreleased stuff for the first time in their history, it's cool.

i'd love if they released a new single before the oz tour.

*IF* the 'single in December' is a remotely concrete plan, not just Bono-rambling (and really, which way would you gamble?) then I'd think a lot would depend on whether it's 'new' new, or 'old' new (i.e. one of the songs they've already played live.) If it is really 'new' new, then I'd think the NZ/Aus gigs would play a very large part in it's release plan. If it's 'old' new - in which case I'd say it's 99% likely it's Mercy - then I would think these gigs are pretty much irrelevant in a way, but then Wide Awake in Europe isn't. So in the end, probably a pretty similar timeframe.

While I'm sure that subconsciously U2 was hoping for a killer single off of Achtung, I don't think it was their primary driver and at least they didn't let that want get in the way of letting the music speak for itself. During that time period we got singles like The Fly. While it ended up being a moderately successful single, it had an ulterior motive; get people talking and excited about U2 and what they're doing. Let's all be honest about this band, they put out their best work when they have motives outside of trying to chase top 40 radio.

I agree, however, I think that almost every song on AB was tighter, and, in structure, poppier, than the work on NLOTH. Big hooks, verse, chorus, verse, a big chorus. It's all there.

I think chasing a single is fine if that's what they want, and that's what keeps them moving. We wouldn't have BD, or Desire if they weren't chasing great singles.

It depends on how it drives them in the studio. Or how it effects everything else. I don't care if they want or feel they need a big single to lead off an album (or want or need it in some other more endearing way), I just hope that's not an attitude that runs too far through the whole process.

Back
Top Bottom