Bono favored to win the Nobel Peace Prize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Can you IMAGINE how much more amazing U2's legacy will be if Bono actually wins?!!!!!

Maybe the online email campaign / petition worked after all... :)

----------------------
Rock stars could mean novel Nobel Peace Prize

By Alister Doyle
Reuters
Monday, October 3, 2005; 4:45 AM

OSLO (Reuters) - Irish rock stars Bob Geldof and Bono are among the bookmakers' tips to win the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, alongside more orthodox candidates like campaigners against nuclear arms or a peace broker for Indonesia.

Experts are divided about whether the secretive five-member committee would dare to broaden the scope of the $1.3 million award in 2005 to honor Geldof or Bono, who have campaigned for years to ease hunger and poverty in Africa.

Last year, the committee won both plaudits and brickbats for awarding the prize for the first time to an environmentalist, Kenya's Wangari Maathai, for leading a campaign to plant millions of trees across Africa.

After that mixed reception, guardians of what many view as the world's highest accolade may be reluctant to be innovative a second time. A total of 199 candidates have been nominated for the 2005 award, which can be split up to three ways.

"If the prize branches out to virtually anything that is trendy, it stands to lose the intent that (Swedish founder) Alfred Nobel had -- to prevent war," said Janne Haaland Matlary, a professor of political science at Oslo University.

"I think there are two acute problems in the world -- anti-terror work and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction," she said.

On the 60th year of the 1945 U.S. nuclear bombing of the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, she and many experts say an obvious option is to honor efforts to stop the spread of nuclear weapons.

Still, Bono and Geldof have risen from 66-1 to be third joint favorites at 7-1 on an Australian bookmakers' ranking in recent days after Stein Toennesson, a leading Norwegian prize commentator, placed them among his favorites.

ROCK AND ROLL

"If the committee wants to go further this year in widening its interpretation of peace, the prize could go to Bono or Geldof," said Toennesson, head of the Peace Research Institute, Oslo.

Top of the bookmakers' ranking is former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari, at 4-1, for brokering a peace deal between Indonesia and Aceh rebels this year to end a three-decade conflict in which 15,000 people have died.

Then come U.S. Senator Richard Lugar and former Senator Sam Nunn, on 6.5-1, for their work to dismantle aging nuclear weapons in the former Soviet Union. The ranking broadly matches Toennesson's.

Others disagree.

"Since the committee went quite far and were innovative with Maathai they would want to go a little bit back to a core Nobel theme," said Espen Barth Eide, a director at the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs.

He said that his favorite was the U.N. nuclear watchdog and its head, Mohamed ElBaradei.

Candidates who campaign against nuclear arms include Nihon Hidankyo, a group of survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki or Senji Yamaguchi, a Nagasaki survivor. The 1995 and 1985 prizes also went to anti-nuclear themes.

Or the committee might honor a relief group, like Save the Children or Oxfam, for work after the Indian Ocean tsunami.

In deciding the prize, a problem is the vagueness of Nobel's 1895 will. It says the prize should go to the person who has done most for "fraternity between nations," for reducing armies or for holding peace congresses.

But the committee may be open to new ideas. The head of the committee, Ole Danbolt Mjoes, was instrumental in persuading ex-South African President Nelson Mandela to visit the Arctic city of Tromsoe in June for an anti-AIDS rock concert.

If the iconic Mandela sees rock music as a way of spreading the word about AIDS, why can't the Norwegian Nobel Committee follow suit with peace? "No comment," Mjoes said, adding: "We always use the will as our basis and have a holistic approach."
© 2005 Reuters

GO BONO GO !! :rockon: (he deserves it)

...the next stop would be to join NASA and be
the FIRST EVER BAND TO PLAY ROCK´N´ROLL ON THE MOON!!! :rockon:

Ha! Next stop, the moon.

Bono would definitely be living in some rarified air if he wins: he'd join previous winners Martin Luther King and Mother Teresa, to name a few.

Talk about a massive, massive honor...

Well, sort of a rarified air . . . joins Yasir Arafat, lots of other political leaders who have all kinds of sordid histories of mass murder . . . that said, it would certainly be great if Bono won.

Though I seriously doubt he will win.

Its not gonna happen. They're gonna give it to one of those organizations that helped out during the Asian Tsunami.

The Nobel Prize is extremely politicized. People actually run political campaigns to win. There is going to be much more support for the organizations that helped iwth the tsunami than for Bono.

unosdostres14 said:
The Nobel Prize is extremely politicized. People actually run political campaigns to win.

That's my understanding of the process, too. Kind of throws a cynical thrall over the whole thing, doesn't it?

LyricalDrug said:
Ha! Next stop, the moon.

Bono would definitely be living in some rarified air if he wins: he'd join previous winners Martin Luther King and Mother Teresa, to name a few.

Talk about a massive, massive honor...

...the Pope....God!

This might be a stretch, but in addition to his humanitarian work, you could argue that Bono, through his words and music, has helped make the world a better place, perhaps a more peaceful one.

I mean, had John Lennon been given this award in the past, it would have been well deserved. Perhaps Bono's message hasn't been as simple and directly related to "peace" as an idea as John, but he's done A LOT, and has really brought many different parties to the table.

It's also a bit unfair to have organizations fighting it out with singular people. I don't understand how that works...

timothius said:
Not that I really care about the outcome, but he would be an unworthy recipient in the context.

Yeah, how dare someone publicly lead the fight against poverty. What a terrible thing to do. :|

I think he meant that there are probably more deserving candidates, not that Bono hasn't done anything. (Speaking more for myself than him though :wink: )

It'll be cool if he does, I can annoy my brother. He admires a drug addict. I admire a Nobel Prize winner. Hell yeah. ;)

Axver said:

Yeah, how dare someone publicly lead the fight against poverty. What a terrible thing to do. :|

*Compares Bono to Mandela*

Really? No Really?

Bono is at best a half time rock star, half time politician fighting against poverty. Comparing him to (and placing him above) the many hundereds of people who work full time for equally noble acts - is quiet frankly demeaning.

No doubt he is a good man, but there are tens of thousands of other people who have done more tangibly to better the life of people on this planet. A large reason for why he is nominated is his public profile - somthing which I wouldn't have thought that played into this type of award.

I sincerely ask you to point out the differences between what Bono has done for the third world in the past 12 months and what Chris Martin has done for the third world in the past 12 months. Seriously. :eyebrow:

timothius said:

I sincerely ask you to point out the differences between what Bono has done for the third world in the past 12 months and what Chris Martin has done for the third world in the past 12 months. Seriously. :eyebrow:

Wouldnt the fact that Bono has been doing this for so much longer, instantly put him above Chris Martin though?

Aardvark747 said:

Wouldnt the fact that Bono has been doing this for so much longer, instantly put him above Chris Martin though?

No doubt.

My point is more that there are many celebrities or musicians who have done just as much as Bono in the past year. While Bono's legacy does carry him - I don't quite know if he is deserving of that kind of accolade for what can best be described as a part-time endevour - when many make it their lifetime endevour.

Imagine the outcry if Martin got it before Bono. :lmao:

timothius said:

*Compares Bono to Mandela*

Really? No Really?

Bono is at best a half time rock star, half time politician fighting against poverty. Comparing him to (and placing him above) the many hundereds of people who work full time for equally noble acts - is quiet frankly demeaning.

I don't think it's demeaning at all. Compare the audience for influence that Bono has to the audience many other campaigners have. They may be more 'full time' and have the same political access Bono has (that other rockers don't have), but they certainly don't have captive audiences of 20,000+ every few nights! Bono's in the rare position of having quality political access as well as serious public influence.

And do we really need to mention Chris Martin? That's just tempting people to turn this into another Coldplay thread.

Last edited:
Axver said:

I don't think it's demeaning at all. Compare the audience for influence that Bono has to the audience many other campaigners have. They may be more 'full time' and have the same political access Bono has (that other rockers don't have), but they certainly don't have captive audiences of 20,000+ every few nights! Bono's in the rare position of having quality political access as well as serious public influence.

And do we really need to mention Chris Martin? That's just tempting people to turn this into another Coldplay thread.

But those 20,000 people a night get treated to music and a few songs strung together with Bono going with his borrowed Co-Exist philosophy, and then the his One speech. Granted anything it is better than nothing - but he is hardly preaching to the 20,000 souls (nor would I really want him too). He has some political clout - I haven't seen him weild it in any magnificent way in the past year (if at all for that matter).

He is the best example. I'm not going to censor my posts just because some people have a illogical Coldplay complex.

I have barely heard anything Chris Martin has done, whereas I hear about Bono and Bob all the time. And I live in the UK. Writing stuff on the back of your hand a la Martin isn't doing anyone any good, is it?

lardence said:
Writing stuff on the back of your hand a la Martin isn't doing anyone any good, is it?

lol. Impregnating Gwyneth Paltrow and keeping her off screen for longer than usual is though.

Is it that Bono actually does a lot, or that he is ridiculously good at using his position in the world?

Can anyone list a concise summary of what his work has actually acheived aside from a hell of a lot of noise (which of course is a good thing in itself)? The Peace Prize really is a reward for results, not just for effort or intentions.

I'm not even saying he ought to win the thing. I read what some of the others had done and there would be no complaints from me if someone else beat Bono to it. However if he did win I similarly think there's no real cause for complaint. It's bloody difficult to eradicate world poverty in a matter of mere years, but what Bono HAS done is raise awareness of the situation. A lot of people who normally maybe wouldn't know, do know thanks to his speeches and the platform he uses, as a celebrity, to get the message out there. It's not like he's advocating drink and drugs. He's giving a positive message that things can be changed. He is aware of his status and is using it for good. Whether he wins or not, that's got to be a good thing, surely?

Of course it is. I think the nomination is fantastic and agree with that part of it for sure. I just think that a Bono win is straying a long way from what the Peace Prize is supposed to be for, and on the other hand I am willing to bet it will come with a significant backlash for both him and the band. Partly because it will be highly controversial, and partly because, well, it puts them in a tough spot creatively in some ways, and will only increase the pressure on them to be something specific. I think there'll be a lot of heat within the band once this tour is done, on Bono, that will mean he'll have to make some choices about who and what he is. Peace Prize won't help that.

Earnie Shavers said:
The Peace Prize really is a reward for results, not just for effort or intentions.

Exactly.

Rutherford didn't get the Nobel Prize in 1906 because he intended to split the atom... he got it in 1908 because he succeeded.

Mandela didn't get it in 1989 because he intended to unite South Africa, he got it in 1994 when he succeeded.

And no, Bono doesn't have to completely solve third world poverty to be worthy of somthing like this - but working full time on the issue would be a step in the right direction.

Earnie Shavers said:
The Peace Prize really is a reward for results, not just for effort or intentions.

Precisely - I don't think they'll give to him yet, but maybe one day

Back
Top Bottom