Bono and his incessant/inane chatter during concerts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am delighted that Bono is allowing anyone in America to buy tickets to these shows. Even people who did not vote the way Bono wanted them to. He is so gracious like that.

'Everyone is welcome here no matter who you voted for.'

Thanks Bono. Now STFU please. Or, get your American citizenship. Then you can STFU some more.

Yeah, American politics definitely have never had any global ramifications.

There are people who say that you shouldn't mix setlists and politics. Well, I think that's kinda bullshit.

Thankfully the boys are taking this lame shitshow to Europe now, so B can patronize them and suck on the teets of their politicos.

Every time Bono sucks up to these people, especially during their live shows, they become a bit more lame as a band. If you can even call them a band anymore.

Lol he's been a member here for 17 years. You're too new to know this is a perfectly normal post for him.

And actually I agree. At my show these people behind me were like JUST SHUT UP AND PLAY MUSIC!! :lol:

I can remember being at my first U2 concert [12/10/2005 Cleveland Vertigo] Bono was rambling on & on & a guy near me in GA yelled: S T F U & sing ! - I thought damn how disrespectful but now I know how he felt . . lol - we could get three or four more songs were it not for all the yappin although I must admit he is doing much less of it this tour . .

Hey maybe that guy in GA in 2005 was Zoomerang96 - :wave: - J/K

Time to go find a new band to love, then. Byeeeeeeee!

unlike some of your malcontent friend here on the boards, you seem like a reasonable person. therefore, you must realize that it's quite possible to love a band's music, and yet also feel disappointed in what they are doing/what they have become in their live shows.

this is nothing new for many, many U2 fans - or for that matter for the fans of many other bands. so to suggest it's time to quit them is a bit silly.

I will grant you this - I feel bad for those who paid a lot of money for this tour. and if you think I am an outlier in this opinion, you would be quite wrong.

That's all well and good, and I'm bummed some fans don't like the shows, but if you're going to critique the show in the way you did, you're going to get some snark back.

"Lame shitshow"?

"If you can even call them a band"?

Come the fuck on. "Go find a new band" is about the nicest response you should expect when you post something like that.

Thankfully the boys are taking this lame shitshow to Europe now, so B can patronize them and suck on the teets of their politicos.

Every time Bono sucks up to these people, especially during their live shows, they become a bit more lame as a band. If you can even call them a band anymore.

That's all well and good, and I'm bummed some fans don't like the shows, but if you're going to critique the show in the way you did, you're going to get some snark back.

"Lame shitshow"?

Come the fuck on. "Go find a new band" is about the nicest response you should expect when you post something like that.

I thought Iggy was kidding. I couldn't possibly take what he was saying seriously. Almost everyone I've spoken to enjoyed the show that I went to on 6/29 in NJ. The only time I heard Bono speak at length was when he introduced Ultraviolet by providing a tribute to the women in his life and throughout history.

Oh yeah and when he thanked the people for reducing the number of HIV patients who have died.

"Lame shitshow"?

Hmm, ok, actually I think that's pretty fair.

I thought Iggy was kidding. I couldn't possibly take what he was saying seriously. Almost everyone I've spoken to enjoyed the show that I went to on 6/29 in NJ. The only time I heard Bono speak at length was when he introduced Ultraviolet by providing a tribute to the women in his life and throughout history.

Oh yeah and when he thanked the people for reducing the number of HIV patients who have died.

sometimes I don't take what I say seriously either.

The last 2 pages of this thread just further confirm for me why things are the way they are in the world.

"I DON'T CARE ABOUT WORLD MATTERS, LET ME STUFF MY EARS WITH COTTON! I AM ONLY PAYING YOU TO PLAY 3 MINUTE POP SONGS SO STFU!!!"

I feel like I've talked to you about this kind of reaction.
giphy.gif

I'm pretty sure they're a band.

"Stick to music"

Now, it may just be me, but unless I'm getting my U2 history wrong, have they not always been very bloody political?

This is what gets me!

Someone posted on twitter something to the effect of "people be like 'Bono, shut up and play your songs. Don't get political on us' ..... as they cheer Bullet the blue sky and Pride!"

That was the most spot on thing I've read about U2 in a long time.

People these days are audibly sighing and groaning and yelling at him to shut up and sing. Or sarcastically saying "you're welcome" when Bono thanks American taxpayers for saving lives of those afflicted with AIDS.

I've seen LA 2, Pittsburgh, Boston and NJ1 so far and there were a few of them at each show. Not enough to even make 1% of the crowd, but they seem more noticeable than on previous tours. What kills me the most is that without exception, the person who has opened their mouth has been an older person there to re live their high school years through JT.

So you went to a show then, when Bono talked MORE some nights and was definitely more controversially and directly political. No one who Bono felt was truly pursuing policies /actions that hurt people- from Reagan to Thatcher to the apartheid regime to the IRA, drug dealers and scalpers- was safe. He'd frequently get as wound up as the anti Trump performance at Dreamforce- only with f bombs flying.

You attended back then and were fine with all this?! What's wrong now? I just don't get it. And to top it off, Reagan (though I'm not a fan) was far, far more popular than Trump is, was or ever will be.

Hell, I've listened to many a TUF or JT bootleg where he's called people out in the crowd for various political signs making statements. Usually supporting one side or another in the Irish troubles. (Save the yuppies anyone? The kid with the "SF" sign for San Francisco that Bono mistook for Sinn Fein).

That is to say nothing of the point you made that they've always been political. You can't seriously separate the politics and the songs. NYD, SBS, Pride, Bullet, Please, Miss Sarajevo- I'm sure I'm missing some here- but the songs are inherently political.

I don't know how people missed that if they were fans in the 1980s......

Last edited:
You attended back then and were fine with all this?! What's wrong now? I just don't get it. And to top it off, Reagan (though I'm not a fan) was far, far more popular than Trump is, was or ever will be.

Because Bono was young and naive then. U2's fan base was similarly (on average) younger and more naive. The two were aligned.

But as people grow up, they just want to hear the music without the sense they are being preached to. People change.

Because Bono was young and naive then. U2's fan base was similarly (on average) younger and more naive. The two were aligned.

But as people grow up, they just want to hear the music without the sense they are being preached to. People change.

I get your point in general. Band and crowd aligned in age and viewpoints of the world- wide eyed, idealistic, etc.

However, I disagree that Bono was naive. He'd grown up working class, lost his mom early, had seen poverty, addiction, war- and developed a pretty strong, realistic grasp of most political issues by the early 1980s. People were always trying to interview him- in large part because they knew he could speak intelligently about music and many topics beyond music.

I guess what I'm trying to say is he was never just a naive youthful flame thrower who resonated with a fan base that was at the same stage of rebellion in life. I'm far from the final authority on this, I've only had one brief conversation with Bono when I was working security years back. However, I've read as much as any fan about his life and background and from my reading and from the accounts of others as well, it's actually remarkable how much of who he is was already formed by the time the band was well known.

I just don't see him or his views really changing that much over time. He was always a capitalist who thought his goals could be accomplished by working in the system. He was on a politically appointed commission on youth unemployment in Ireland in the early 80s. Always talked about meeting with world leaders, etc.

The only real change I've seen is he is more diplomatic , less preachy and more willing to work with people who don't share his views on most issues to accomplish things. It's pretty hard to be a political leader these days and get a good slap from him- you have to be as bad as Trump to get it just for what you stand for. Otherwise, you'd have to promise him something and then go back on your word like Stephen Harper did about 10 years ago.

I honestly feel like a lot of this is learned behavior from the U2/Bono hate that seems to have gained traction over time. The made up tax scandal colored a lot of people's perceptions- quite unfairly- of his work on behalf of the poor.

Fans in the same demographic still go and see acts that are far more controversial and direct than U2 in their politics and preaching and they don't utter a word of criticism.

Bono really puts himself out there with his work and advocacy. Who else has used their fame for as much good as him? That makes him more of a lightning rod.

I'm not discounting your theory- people certainly change- but I think in Bono's case, it's more due to the fact that there's this perception that you're supposed to think of him as an annoying, elitist hypocrite even if you love U2's music.

An elitist who spends a lot of his own time and money doing all kinds of work for people and never stopping despite criticism when he could've sat on a beach somewhere since 1987 and never ran out of money.

It just doesn't make sense.

It also doesn't help that Bono's center/left brand of politics has never been less popular in the politics of the world than it is now. For all of U2's career to this point, viewpoints similar to Bono's were at least strong and at times dominant. The far left and far right have gained a ton of traction even since around 2013 and both groups are about as hostile to Bono and his thinking as they come.

My take, and this long diatribe wasn't all a response to what you said, AndrewCowley. I think for a certain number of people who take issue with him now, you've hit the nail on the head. I'm just arguing that their perception and framing are off.

Back
Top Bottom