Bono and assistant hitchhike along road in West Vancouver, picked up by NHL player

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is that what the deal is for U2? No idea. Maybe they all have separate cars because they're total assholes and/or hate each other. :wink: But it's not that far-fetched an idea.

It is weird that they fly in the same plane but don't travel in the same car. Police/Stones/Bruce & ESB principle members have been seen travelling in the same vehicle in/out of shows

The bodyguards around the band members seem to be for similar reasons rather Bono having personal security concerns. I saw Bono's guard(John?) get very uppity when a fan gave Bono a sizable gift covered in wrapping paper. Also keep in mind it was rumoured that Bono was actually kidnapped(!!) near the end of the ZOOTV tour, plus all his political stuff.

It is weird that they fly in the same plane but don't travel in the same car.

Good point. :lol:

They travel in separate cars, I would think, for a bunch of very simple, logical reasons.

Yeah, that's obviously the more logical explanation for it. I guess it was neither here nor there for me to say "well, it's not so far-fetched."

Royal Famalies and major companies are confirmed to have those rules, why would it not be the same for U2?

There are no secret formulas or heirs to the throne at stake, that's why...

Just a rock band, one that wouldn't NEED to and most likely wouldn't want to continue on.

Royal Famalies and major companies are confirmed to have those rules, why would it not be the same for U2?

(a) Heirs to the thrown and future heads of state. A couple of them get knocked out of the line of succession at once and it's not a tragedy for music fans, it's a constitutional crisis in 15 countries.

(b) To be honest, I've only ever heard about this in relation to - as BVS mentioned - silly stories about not having all the Coca Cola execs who know the super secret formula ever fly together at once. I don't know how true it is or if it's just a bit of Coke folklore or if it really is policy at any other companies, but if it is, I assume it's either ones that deal in super sensitive business, or mega-multi-billion dollar business, or both. Businesses have boards, they have large executive teams, they would generally not have an issue. And, I mean, the two Google clowns jet around the globe on the same plane all the time. It can't be a standard thing, only a paranoid thing.

(c) A fucking rock band who are completely useless if only one of them dies. Honestly - not to sound crass - but if Bono drives off a cliff, the other three, professionally, might as well be in the car too. There's no U2 after that. Just endless compilations and re-issues and special editions and from-the-vault rarities and all sorts of other shit. I'll tell you the super secret reason why they all fly in the one plane, despite driving in separate cars: Planes are usually bigger than cars. They all fit in just the one.

It is weird that they fly in the same plane but don't travel in the same car.

You're statistically about a hundred times more likely to die in an automobile collision than a plane crash, especially one that's maintained as well as U2's undoubtably is..plus it's an Air Canada jet if I'm not mistaken, which have impeccable records..

(a) Heirs to the thrown and future heads of state. A couple of them get knocked out of the line of succession at once and it's not a tragedy for music fans, it's a constitutional crisis in 15 countries.

(b) To be honest, I've only ever heard about this in relation to - as BVS mentioned - silly stories about not having all the Coca Cola execs who know the super secret formula ever fly together at once. I don't know how true it is or if it's just a bit of Coke folklore or if it really is policy at any other companies, but if it is, I assume it's either ones that deal in super sensitive business, or mega-multi-billion dollar business, or both. Businesses have boards, they have large executive teams, they would generally not have an issue. And, I mean, the two Google clowns jet around the globe on the same plane all the time. It can't be a standard thing, only a paranoid thing.

(c) A fucking rock band who are completely useless if only one of them dies. Honestly - not to sound crass - but if Bono drives off a cliff, the other three, professionally, might as well be in the car too. There's no U2 after that. Just endless compilations and re-issues and special editions and from-the-vault rarities and all sorts of other shit. I'll tell you the super secret reason why they all fly in the one plane, despite driving in separate cars: Planes are usually bigger than cars. They all fit in just the one.

a) Liz, Chuck, Willy and Harry could all go down in a royal family helijet and there would not be a political crisis.

b) I've heard of big multi generation families not using the same airliner for common sense reason if they are travelling in tandem. I think some eastern European countries in recent decades used to only let no more than 50% of a family travel abroad to make sure they come back.

c) a major rock group is still a big money maker(albums may suck) with half the lineup gone like the Who/Oasis. Plus they are still money makers like The Doors while 3 make the promo rounds. A group like the Jimi Hendrix Experience is harder to promote when a weirdly large majority of those closely involved are gone. Many of the Beatles inner circle is also gone.

As for the cars/planes discussion: Have they ever mix up the Bono/Edge or Larry/Adam car pattern if they don't arrive to a venue solo?

Would any of the security be related to the Lola Cashman(a piece of work but not completely discountable) claim to Bono was worried about the IRA or other orgainisations coming after him?

Also where did the false zootv japan kidnap story come from?

Wow. We're actually having this discussion, and continuing it. Awesome.

Now all this thread needs is one paranoia member to come in to start freaking and cross posting horror stories over the internet that the band members are all gonna die in a plane crash....

And for the record, U2 would not continue without one another, that's been stated many times by themselves. So that's bullshit.

a) Liz, Chuck, Willy and Harry could all go down in a royal family helijet and there would not be a political crisis.

b) I've heard of big multi generation families not using the same airliner for common sense reason if they are travelling in tandem. I think some eastern European countries in recent decades used to only let no more than 50% of a family travel abroad to make sure they come back.

c) a major rock group is still a big money maker(albums may suck) with half the lineup gone like the Who/Oasis. Plus they are still money makers like The Doors while 3 make the promo rounds. A group like the Jimi Hendrix Experience is harder to promote when a weirdly large majority of those closely involved are gone. Many of the Beatles inner circle is also gone.

As for the cars/planes discussion: Have they ever mix up the Bono/Edge or Larry/Adam car pattern if they don't arrive to a venue solo?

Would any of the security be related to the Lola Cashman(a piece of work but not completely discountable) claim to Bono was worried about the IRA or other orgainisations coming after him?

Also where did the false zootv japan kidnap story come from?
i....i just...

Obviously U2 have security/insurance concerns but I don't think their travel arrangements have anything to do with it. Firstly, why on earth would the four of them want to share one car? What if one of them farts? Sorry I'm being facetious but it's just more comfortable travelling with less people in a car (especially if you can afford it). Bono and Edge travel together maybe because they are the 'creative' half of the band and they want to talk about how the songs went during the show. Ditto Larry and Adam. As the 'rhythm section' they also have things to discuss. Also, following your line of thought, wouldn't it make more sense for EACH of them to travel SEPARATELY in their own car all the time?

Happy Saturday, everyone! Good morning to all of my fellow Western Hemisphere-ers. :wave:

Obviously U2 have security/insurance concerns but I don't think their travel arrangements have anything to do with it. Firstly, why on earth would the four of them want to share one car? What if one of them farts? Sorry I'm being facetious but it's just more comfortable travelling with less people in a car (especially if you can afford it). Bono and Edge travel together maybe because they are the 'creative' half of the band and they want to talk about how the songs went during the show. Ditto Larry and Adam. As the 'rhythm section' they also have things to discuss. Also, following your line of thought, wouldn't it make more sense for EACH of them to travel SEPARATELY in their own car all the time?

They were still travelling in the same vehicles to/from shows on Joshua and ZooTV.

Pretty sure they share the same dressing room(s) backstage.

Also, They are each give an audio/video copy of the show for personal review and critique. The "Day int he life of Edge" clip from Miami Vertigo show that Bono/Edge don't discuss much after a show.

They were still travelling in the same vehicles to/from shows on Joshua and ZooTV.

Pretty sure they share the same dressing room(s) backstage.

Also, They are each give an audio/video copy of the show for personal review and critique. The "Day int he life of Edge" clip from Miami Vertigo show that Bono/Edge don't discuss much after a show.
As I recall that clip showed just a snippet of what goes on inside the car. I'm sure under normal circumstances (when Bono isn't with a camcorder) they discuss the show while it is still fresh in their minds. Talking about it while it's still fresh in their heads can be more beneficial than watching a video a day or two later.<p>I believe your argument collapses at this following junction: if they are travelling from the shows in pairs for insurance/security reasons, a kidnap attempt will potentially take out TWO members at the same time. So why aren't they travelling individually in which case a kidnap will only take out ONE member? I believe this is where the logic of your argument ultimately crumbles.

This is absolutely, without a doubt, the single most mad conversation I have ever read in here.

I was watching a BBC interview with the band the other day, and they interviewed Bono and Adam together, and then separately, Larry and Edge together. WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT ALL ABOUT??!?!?!?? HOW COULD SECURITY BE SO STUPID!!!!!?????!!!!!! THE INSURERS OF U2 INCORPORATED AND THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF U2 INCORPORATED AND THE SHAREHOLDERS OF U2 INCORPORATED AND THE KIDNAPPERS OF RADIOHEAD INCORPORATED WOULD HAVE SEEN THAT ON TV, NO??????@!!!!!??@!##!?!???

:idea:

Has anyone ever considered that maybe they ride in different vehicles because of the way things played out and they just said "ok you ride with him and I'll ride with Larry?" - or maybe they have different plans?

Because surely security is a concern, but likely not in the way y'all are interpreting it. Each of the band members has their own handler. An SUV comfortably holds 4 passengers: 2 in the front and 2 in the back. See where I'm going with this? 2 band members + 2 handlers = 4 passengers. If they sent 3 band members and 1 handler, well that's not enough handlers for when they are getting out (or back in, wherever they're off to). And that's not even taking into consideration the driver, and this is the way I've seen them alot: 1 driver, 1 handler, and 1 band member. Sometimes you see them with 2 band members like that, one handler and a couple guys waiting for wherever they pull up.

When one band member is riding solo (w/handler, of course), maybe it's because he's got a friend or loved one in the car already? Maybe he's going somewhere the others aren't? Maybe there's someone waiting there for him who's going to be riding with him later? The possibilities are endless, and they don't necessarily have anything to do with all these other theories being floated about insurance and royals and psychos taking out one vs two vs all band members.

I'm pretty sure that's not entirely true. There have been quotes and articles that have described them and Willie and others in the crew watching some/all of the footage immediately after the show as a group, so that they can communicate to him and others what they felt went right and wrong, and then go about their way as the staff makes adjustments for the next show. It makes alot of sense to do it that way if you think about how they do their travelling and their schedules etc. It also makes alot of sense as the crowds outside the venue would be thinned out if not pretty much gone by then. Not sure how that pans out with some of these stadiums though, traffic was pretty crazy for hours after shows in many cities.

Which sounds plausible to me, given that every time I've seen them come out after a show it's usually pretty long (an hour or two) after the show has completed. Not saying that's the case every time and maybe someone has seen something different, but that's what I've seen. :shrug:

This is absolutely, without a doubt, the single most mad conversation I have ever read in here.

I was watching a BBC interview with the band the other day, and they interviewed Bono and Adam together, and then separately, Larry and Edge together. WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT ALL ABOUT??!?!?!?? HOW COULD SECURITY BE SO STUPID!!!!!?????!!!!!! THE INSURERS OF U2 INCORPORATED AND THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF U2 INCORPORATED AND THE SHAREHOLDERS OF U2 INCORPORATED AND THE KIDNAPPERS OF RADIOHEAD INCORPORATED WOULD HAVE SEEN THAT ON TV, NO??????@!!!!!??@!##!?!???
There's a full moon and eclipse coming up this week. Brings all the loonies out....

Back
Top Bottom