Bono and Ali's 20th anniversary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GypsyHeartgirl

POP for GIRLS
It's coming up in a few days, but I'm ashamed to say after being a fan all these years I don't know the exact day. Do you?

On that day I think we should do a post a thon tribute to their everlasting love:)

334%3C2%3A%3A323232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2326%3D656%3D973%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3C8%3C83368ot1lsi

It's August 21st...I always remember because it's also my sister's boyfriend's birthday, and my cousin and his wife's anniversary. :)

Thank you Bonochick! That's also the birthday of my Aunt Mirt and my best high school buddy!

I'll bump this thread on that day and post a lot of pics and good wishes! :love:

Yay! something to do while being anti-social at my grandparents'!

*consults snapfish*

334%3C2%3B3923232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3235%3E842%3E639%3Ewsnrcg%3D32323958957%3A6nu0mrj

334%3C2%3B3923232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3235%3E842%3E639%3Ewsnrcg%3D323239866259%3Anu0mrj

fact: this compy has only 32 mb RAM and thus runs slower than a drunken snail

Bono and Ali's 20th Wedding Anniversary

I think it is really amazing that they have been married all
these years particularly as they are in the public eye.

Many congrats to them both.

Love
Heather
:love:
Dorset
UK

Umm...August 21st is also the one year anniversary of Bob Hewson's death.

It's amazing that these two have been together for 20 years. It says something about them that they've been able to make this work. I'm all for some sort of tribute to them on this special day of theirs. A post-a-thon suits the heck out of me. :love: :love: :happy: :happy:

Bonochick said:
It's August 21st...I always remember because it's also my sister's boyfriend's birthday, and my cousin and his wife's anniversary. :)

Same day as my mom's birthday..

CRAP!

*runs out to get her mom a present*:eek:

I think it's great that Ali and Bono have been together for all these years, especially considering the fact that the majority of celebrities divorce after only a few years of marriage. They truly were meant for each other :) I found some nice pictures of them together, but they're from a Geocities site so you'll have to copy and paste the URL's into your browser.

www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Mansion/9416/bonoali3.jpg
www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Mansion/9416/bonoali1.jpg
www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Mansion/9416/alibonokiss.jpg
www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Mansion/9416/bonoali93.jpg
www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Mansion/9416/bonoali24.jpg
www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Mansion/9416/bonoali6.jpg

Okay, I know this next one has Edge in it, but he just looks so cute in his baseball cap!

www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Mansion/9416/edgealibono.jpg

Last edited:
August is a great month;) My wedding anniversary is August 23rd, my in-laws anniversary is August 19th, my daughter's birthday is August 19th, and I'm going to have a new nephew who will be born on August 20th! I think Eli's b-day is on the 16th of August, but I'm not 100% sure.

From Showbizireland:

The Bonos 20th Anniversary...

Bono and Ali have a love greater than Bogart and Bacall, Romeo and Juliet, Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'Hara and even Bertie and Celia.

Next week is the 20th wedding anniversary of Ireland's real first couple Bono and Ali Hewson.

Hard to imagine that Bono was only 22 when he married a very young Alison Stewart in Dublin on August 21st 1982.

Showing his naivety, 1982 was also the same year Bono backed the electoral campaign of the then Fianna Gael leader Garrett Fitzgerald!

He won and Bono has been winning ever since.

Last week Bono and Ali were pictured in the tabloids enjoying a romantic holiday in Florence, Italy. Ali and the couples four children have spent the summer in the families summer house in Eze on the French Riviera.

Bono has been up and down throughout the summer but the couple is due back for their anniversary but not solely to celebrate their wedding.

Few know this but the date of the couples wedding anniversary is also the same date that Bono's father Robert Hewson died last year from Cancer.

Bono and his older brother Norman are expected to both be in Dublin for their father's first anniversary.

Robert (Bob) Hewson is buried in Howth.

There has been some celebrating also for the Hewson family this month as the couple's son Elijah Bob, who was partly named after Bono's father celebrated his third birthday.

August 13, 2002
From The Mirror:

August 13, 2002

U20
Bono and Ali Celebrate Twenty Years of Marriage

By Caoimhe Young

In the showbiz world they say a marriage is made in heaven but for most it usually ends with the
hell of bitter divorce.

One obvious exception to the rule is the partnership of U2 frontman Bono and his childhood
sweetheart Ali, who celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary later this month.

The couple, who first met at school, have survived the strain of fame as well as standing the test
of time that every marriage experiences.

Reports of a glittering anniversary bash in U2's Clarence Hotel were denied yesterday by sources
close to the couple. But even if Bono, 42, and Ali, 41, decide to shy away from the glamour, friends
and family will still raise a toast to the happy couple.

Producer and TV presenter Shay Healy remembers the day the two Dubliners tied the knot on
August 21, 1982.

He said: "I was given the job of hiring the wedding band for Bono and Ali's wedding.

"I hired a group called The Cyclones who I knew from school. It was a great wedding. I was invited
to the afters and Paul Brady jammed, it was a real nice party. Even back then Bono was seen as a
kind of leader and there was a kind of energy around the party.

"Bono was carried through the main rooms of the Sutton House Hotel on the lads' shoulders. It was
like he was fated to be a leader.

"Bono had a kind of destiny or legacy to carry out and I think he's followed it in a very straight line.

"Bono and Ali are both very interesting people, as a rock star he is the greatest, number one. But Ali
too is remarkable, she has a spouse who is amazingly influential but she has still carved out an
identity for herself."

She has been prominent in recent times with her campaign to shut down the Sellafield nuclear power
station.

But it was as a young Alison Stewart that she met her future husband at Mount Temple Secondary
School in North Dublin.

It was the same school where, in 1976, U2's drummer Larry Mullen pinned up a hopeful notice to see
if anybody was interested in forming a band.

Teenager Paul Hewson grabbed the opportunity and was handed the nickname Bono because his
voice was so good.

Six years later the couple married and they now have four children - Jordan, 13, Memphis, 11, Elijah,
three, and one-year-old John.

The family are on holiday at the moment at their summer home near Villefranche on southern France's
Cote D'Azure.

They are expected to return home in the next week so the children can get ready to go back to school.

But the anniversary celebrations will be tainted with sadness after Bono's dad Bob died from cancer
last year.

Bono's brother Norman Hewson, who runs trendy Dublin juice bar Nude, said: "Yeah, I'm happy for
them. I don't think they are having a party - well at least no-one told me."

Motormouth DJ Gerry Ryan said: "I think 20 years together is a tremendous achievement.

"They are a unique combination and I think Ali is very strong-willed but gentle at the same time.

"Bono is gregarious, an interesting fella and they are a classic mix. They are like two parts of a jigsaw
puzzle that fit together perfectly."

Singing star Ronan Keating, who married model Yvonne Connelly three years ago, hopes to follow in
the footsteps of the famous couple.

He said: "They are great couple. I don't know what it is about them but they have something very
special."

2FM DJ Larry Gogan, whose wife Florie died from breast cancer last January, paid tribute to the couple's
commitment to each other. He told the Daily Mirror: "I have to confess I've never interviewed Bono but I
know Larry quite well.

"The day I was meant to interview Bono he had the flu, that was way back in the early days.

"They are both good people with world issues at heart and they do great work.

"Myself and Florie were married for 39 years but I don't know what our secret was.

"People never believe us when we say we never fought. But we were friends as well as lovers."

Hostess to the stars, Valerie Roe of Dublin's trendy club Lillies Bordello, passed on her best wishes to
Bono, who once wrote hit single Sweetest Thing in honour of his wife.

She said: "They are a very grounded couple and I think that's what keeps them together. I've never
had the pleasure to meet Ali but I'm sure she has her feet on the ground.

"I remember Bono once asked me how I cope with work when I have a small child.

"I was looking at him thinking how can this amazing man be interested in what time I get up at in the
morning.

"But he's interested in normal things and normal people and I think that's what sets Bono and Ali apart
from other showbiz couples."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shucks, I was hoping those rumors of the party at the Clarence were true, *dreams of new Bono pics* I'm sure they'll do something special, and we'll find out in time. I don't know if the sad anniversary :sad: will put a damper on things, but maybe they can celebrate a day or so earlier. My Grandma died on my cousin's anniversary and now it bums her out to think of it:(

Anyhow it's their anniversary and I'm sure they'll do whatever is best for them. I wish them well, but with a life like theirs, they don't need any wishes from me. All theirs have come true.

Copied from the Daily Mirror:

Bono said: "She is the light of my life. She gets more perfect the longer we are together. I am completely in love with her."

I have the whole article and an AMAZING picture of them (Bono kissing her cheek- she is just GLOWING and he is sooo sweetly kissing her) from France where they have been vacationing w/ Prince Albert. I'll scan the pictures when I can- next week hopefully.

:kiss::love:

oliveu2cm said:
Copied from the Daily Mirror:

Bono said: "She is the light of my life. She gets more perfect the longer we are together. I am completely in love with her."

I have the whole article and an AMAZING picture of them (Bono kissing her cheek- she is just GLOWING and he is sooo sweetly kissing her) from France where they have been vacationing w/ Prince Albert. I'll scan the pictures when I can- next week hopefully.

:kiss::love:

aaaarrrghhhhhh!!! You TEASE!! If you don't have the pics NOW I don't wanna know about it! :scream::banghead:

*stomps feet, throws tantrum:banghead:

Isn't there a link somewhere to the pics online? PLEASE?

Back
Top Bottom