Bomb goes 3 times platinum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeuk

War Child
in the uk. iT WAS ALSO THE 17TH BEST SELLER OF THE YEAR - 14 IF YOU TAKE OUT THE `NOW' COMPLITATIONS ETC.

VERTIGO WAS NUMBER 1 ON THE DOWNLOAD CHART

MIKE (AT THE PEAK IN HONG KONG)

mikeuk said:
in the uk. iT WAS ALSO THE 17TH BEST SELLER OF THE YEAR - 14 IF YOU TAKE OUT THE `NOW' COMPLITATIONS ETC.

VERTIGO WAS NUMBER 1 ON THE DOWNLOAD CHART

MIKE (AT THE PEAK IN HONG KONG)

Great News!

It took both Joshua Tree and Rattle Hum 4 months to reach the triple platinum (900,000 copies sold) mark in the UK. "BOMB" gets there in half that amount of time! "BOMB" only has to sell another 100,000 copies in the UK to equal ATYCLB sales total there.

Re: Re: Bomb goes 3 times platinum

STING2 said:

Great News!

It took both Joshua Tree and Rattle Hum 4 months to reach the triple platinum (900,000 copies sold) mark in the UK. "BOMB" gets there in half that amount of time! "BOMB" only has to sell another 100,000 copies in the UK to equal ATYCLB sales total there.

STING

I agree, great news- although not sure if this represents sales to consumers or not. I think certifications in the UK used to be based on that, the same as IFPI for Europe - but the 2 million award by IFPI in late nov/early Dec makes me think the IFPI may have changed their criterion to be in line with the us (shipoments to retailers) , and maybe the UK has too ?

I don't have the sales figures for the UK, although there was the NME report (duplicated by U2com) that it had sold a million a couple of weeks back - which I think we agree was very unlikely.

Mike

ps

I believe ATYCLB has sold more than 1m in the UK-I estimate close to 1.2m - it certainly has shipped around 1.4m (coipies in the UK numbered)- which of course would answer my earlier Q, unless the criterion changed since ATYCLB was released ?

Mike

I wonder what exactly accounted for these high sales in the U.K. because they weren't getting the I-Pod commercial. Although, it's true, they did do a few performances and it does follow on the heels of a very succesful album.

Re: Re: Re: Bomb goes 3 times platinum

mikeuk said:

STING

I agree, great news- although not sure if this represents sales to consumers or not. I think certifications in the UK used to be based on that, the same as IFPI for Europe - but the 2 million award by IFPI in late nov/early Dec makes me think the IFPI may have changed their criterion to be in line with the us (shipoments to retailers) , and maybe the UK has too ?

I don't have the sales figures for the UK, although there was the NME report (duplicated by U2com) that it had sold a million a couple of weeks back - which I think we agree was very unlikely.

Mike

These are shipment figures or "sales to retailers". Remember though that shipments as far as the band are concerned are albums sold. After the first week, retailers only order new copies of an album based on current sales to consumers. So, with that in mind, I think the shipment figure is the better one to look at and the one that is more widely available. To the best of my knowledge, IFPI still certifies albums based on sales to retailers just like RIAA does.

In any event, when I was comparing Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum to "BOMB", I was comparing their certifications from Shipments, not soundscan type numbers. In just about every country out there, "BOMB" is U2's fastest selling album ever!

ladywithspinninghead said:
I wonder what exactly accounted for these high sales in the U.K. because they weren't getting the I-Pod commercial. Although, it's true, they did do a few performances and it does follow on the heels of a very succesful album.

We were getting the ipod commercial, actually. I had to stop my housemate from switching it off whenever he saw it, because he was so sick of it!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bomb goes 3 times platinum

Originally posted by STING2 Remember though that shipments as far as the band are concerned are albums sold.

That's the point: when we refer to Michael Jackson's Thriller or to Pink Floyd's DSOTM and we say that those album sold 40 million copies worldwide we ALWAYS refer to shipped copies...actual sales to consumer only affect performance on the charts but don't represent the number of copies sold

Back
Top Bottom