Body language? xD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KiteKate

The Fly
You probably haven't seen me around before (I'm new to the forum) so please don't kill me right off. xD So hello to all you PLEBA forum regulars and everyone else! =)

Anyway, I was looking at U2 pictures the other day and I noticed something.

Bono likes to put his hands in front of him, almost like a guard. I'd just been reading about how a lot of people suspect that Bono is self-conscious and stuff.

I'm no body language expert, but do you think it could be a self-conscious thing? Like that he does is sub-consciously (don't know if that is spelled right, sorry xD)?

Or am I reading too into it?
Do I think too much? xD

Also, I'm not saying he is very self-conscious about the way he looks (I wouldn't really know) but it's a thought.

I think it's quite a fascinating subject myself.

There are two events I've seen recently that struck me. The first was pointed out in some clip in which some woman specifically addressed this topic in regard to the Pres. Bush/Bono/Geldolf meeting in Edinburgh.

President Bush, although seated, had a wide open stance, firmly in control; Bono's posture, the woman thought, was rather submissive; Mrs. Bush was deferring to Mr. Bush (of course) and Geldolf was antagonistic. I had to agree with her conclusions.

The second event I pointed out to a friend was Bono's peculiar stance on stage with Paul McCartney at Live 8. You see him clutching his own wrist, to my mind, holding himself back in deference to McCartney. Finally, after about the first verse, he can't restrain himself any longer and the arms open up. It's actually rather humorous and sweet.

I'd love to see some photos illustrating the points above if anyone could assist. Other interesting "body language" photos would be interesting to see, too.

And no, you don't think too much. Although I don't post often myself, welcome to PLEBA. They don't bite too much around here, I've found. (Although most don't mind if Bono does.)

:wave: from Iowa

PopDaisy

I find it very touching and "human" that Bono still feels queasy before a performance, fearing that he won't do well and that people won't like him. How sweet is that?? :cute:

Interesting topic! And welcome to the forum, by the way. I don't post much here myself; I'm more of a lurker. But welcome anyway. :wink:

I have to agree with you regarding Bono and his body language. It's something I noticed before, and this is going way back...but did you see the interview he did with Oprah? I think it was back in 2002. Anyway, when I was watching that, I noticed how Bono kept covering his mouth and/or wiping it. This struck me as odd, simply because it was clear to me that he was uncomfortable--and if I remember correctly, he even admitted that he was a bit nervous. I could be wrong on that; it's been a while since I watched that particular interview.

At any rate, his body language made it clear on that occasion that he was nervous and not feeling confident at all. Interesting that he would feel so self-conscious in a TV studio in front of a small crowd, yet he's able to "rule" a stadium/venue/arena.

Now you've got me really curious. I tend to analyse everything, so you're not alone in that! :) I think I'll be looking at pictures in a different light--other than just the obvious reasons.

Hi! :wave:

I've noticed Bono does seem to touch his face a fair bit, which can mean you're lying, but I think in this case it's probably more of a comfort thing. By touching your face or hair you are sometimes attempting to calm yourself down in a stressful situation. (Such as lying or performing in front of cameras/millions of people.)

I've also noticed that Larry has pretty bad posture too, if you watch him walk in profile, he hangs his head forward a little and hunches his shoulders. This could have resulted from lots of things, many of them physical, but it could also have been from low self esteem.

Last edited:
I love to watch Bono's body language. At the first Phoenix show I was on the first row and they started with Love & Peace and it was dark and they walked out with the spotlights.
It was so thrilling to see when Bono got to the cat walk and you could see just when he 'turned on' the 'rockstar' mode. His walk changed and he held his head up and did that roar thing with his mouth :lmao:, it's like he's six feet tall when he is confident!

On the other hand at the very first show in San Diego, I could see by his body language that he was either nervous or upset, and then after watching the back stage special on VH1, I saw that it was just nerves. It slayes me that he does have such a bad case of stage fright, after all of these many years.

He also bites his thumb when he is nervous.

This is the cutest subject ever!!!! I have noticed these things too and I must say, I love the fact that Bono gets nervous...it makes me feel like I have something in common with him , because I too an very shy:cute:

aislinn said:

I have to agree with you regarding Bono and his body language. It's something I noticed before, and this is going way back...but did you see the interview he did with Oprah? I think it was back in 2002. Anyway, when I was watching that, I noticed how Bono kept covering his mouth and/or wiping it. This struck me as odd, simply because it was clear to me that he was uncomfortable--and if I remember correctly, he even admitted that he was a bit nervous. I could be wrong on that; it's been a while since I watched that particular interview.

He had said before the interview that he was throwing up in the bathroom!

I've noticed, too, that he wipes his mouth alot. He also wrings his hands often during interviews. I even had a dream once that he was on my front porch and when I looked through the peep hole, he was standing there doing that thing with his hands like he was nervous!

I kinda feel sorry for him when I see him doing nervous things. I would be nervous, too, if I had to do some of the stuff he does!

Ok, has anyone noticed how he holds his sleeves down over his wrists? Yeah, classic self conscious pose - or so they say. I ain't not expert but I really do believe that there's a little insecurity in there somewhere. Odd really, cos most of the time he seems so strong. Hmmmmm...actually, I find it very sexy, him being who he is and still being capable of self doubt. Methinks a good hug would do wonders for him...

....any takers, lol :drool: :drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom