Blowhard Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screwtape, do you have the whole 1. Outside album? That was a fine track, I'd be interested in hearing some more of that.

phillyfan26 said:
I at least am interested in hearing another Porcupine Tree track. I heard my first today through Screwtape's list. I enjoyed it.

Heh, I wonder how many people on earth have been introduced to PT via The Moon Touches Your Shoulder. Probably zero!

It's a fantastic song though.

the tourist said:

Axver and I have the same one on ours! :lol:

I'm trying to figure out how Collapse The Light Into Earth is meant to fit with the way you've hyped up your tracklist. I would have thought you'd be far more likely to use something like Trains or Pure Narcotic or She's Moved On.

Forgive me if I disappear, I'm half paying attention to the thread, and half writing lyrics. :crack:

Axver said:

Heh, I wonder how many people on earth have been introduced to PT via The Moon Touches Your Shoulder. Probably zero!

It's a fantastic song though.

It really is. And this is why I'm seriously thinking of going over to Amazon and getting that album via digital download right now.

phillyfan26 said:

I'll create him a David Bowie pack if he makes me a Porcupine Tree pack. Deal? Deal.

I'm going to have to make a PT pack that's permanently online. I just have trouble narrowing down what should be in it.

As for Bowie, I believe COBL_04's actually doing a mix CD for me that he'll give me at U2 3D.

Screwtape2 said:
I might have to send you some tracks to make that a true David Bowie pack. 90's Bowie will be represented. :wink:

I don't have much pre-Hunky Dory Bowie or post-Berlin Bowie.

Axver said:

I'm trying to figure out how Collapse The Light Into Earth is meant to fit with the way you've hyped up your tracklist. I would have thought you'd be far more likely to use something like Trains or Pure Narcotic or She's Moved On.

It's on the Earth vinyl which is darker and more, well, earthy.

Axver said:

I'm going to have to make a PT pack that's permanently online. I just have trouble narrowing down what should be in it.

As for Bowie, I believe COBL_04's actually doing a mix CD for me that he'll give me at U2 3D.

Screwtape, LeMel, LMP, and I should all be involved in the creation of that mix.

phillyfan26 said:

I don't have much pre-Hunky Dory Bowie or post-Berlin Bowie.

You're not missing much by ignoring everything after 1980, but I've always liked Reality, and Outside is a very respectable record, at least what I've heard from it.

the tourist said:

It really is. And this is why I'm seriously thinking of going over to Amazon and getting that album via digital download right now.

You better like long songs though. The title track isn't exactly short.

I wonder what edition of the album Amazon has? Its release is rather confusing.

phillyfan26 said:

Screwtape, LeMel, LMP, and I should all be involved in the creation of that mix.

Agreed. I think we can all agree that New Career In A New Town deserves a guaranteed spot. :yes:

Yeah, the only song that's worth anything from Let's Dance is Modern Love, and the other two late 80s albums have been dismissed by Bowie himself.

I always hear good things about Outside, Heathen, and Reality.

I wish I had more money for this. I really want to get The Man Who Sold the World, Heroes, Lodger, and Scary Monsters.

Axver said:

You better like long songs though. The title track isn't exactly short.

I wonder what edition of the album Amazon has? Its release is rather confusing.

It's 2 disc, 8 tracks, about 150 minutes. I don't remember the exact specs.

Screwtape2 said:

Oh, it's a great song. Just one that I would guess multiple people would choose.

I've noticed that of everybody I've introduced to PT, Collapse The Light has consistently been a big favourite.

LemonMelon said:

You're not missing much by ignoring everything after 1980, but I've always liked Reality, and Outside is a very respectable record, at least what I've heard from it.

Heathen and Earthling are pretty good too. Earthling is hard to get into but in the end quite good.

You're right though 80's Bowie except Scary Monsters should be avoided.

LemonMelon said:
Agreed. I think we can all agree that New Career In A New Town deserves a guaranteed spot. :yes:

The first seven tracks of Low are pure bliss. :drool:

phillyfan26 said:
Yeah, the only song that's worth anything from Let's Dance is Modern Love, and the other two late 80s albums have been dismissed by Bowie himself.

I always hear good things about Outside, Heathen, and Reality.

I wish I had more money for this. I really want to get The Man Who Sold the World, Heroes, Lodger, and Scary Monsters.

Usually I don't like it when an artist dismisses part of their career (see U2) but in Bowie's case I can see where he is coming from.

the tourist said:

It's 2 disc, 8 tracks, about 150 minutes. I don't remember the exact specs.

Ah, cool, sounds like the 2004 re-release then, which is the definitive version. Though it's nine tracks.

CD 1
1. The Sky Moves Sideways (Phase One)
2. Dislocated Day
3. The Moon Touches Your Shoulder
4. Prepare Yourself
5. The Sky Moves Sideways (Phase Two)

CD 2
1. The Sky Moves Sideways (Alternate Version)
2. Stars Die
3. Moonloop (Improvisation)
4. Moonloop (Coda)

CD2 #1 is over 34 minutes long. I love that it brings together the two phases of the song, but it's not for everyone. CD1 #1 and #5 and CD2 #3 are all over 16 minutes long.

Stars Die is a classic of psychedelic-era Porcupine Tree and is the first song the band ever got played on the radio.

Listening to the album now. Holy shit I love the psychedelic start to TSMS Phase One.

Low >>>>>>>> Heroes.

I'm sorry, but the non-instrumental tracks on Heroes simply cannot stand up to Low's non-instrumental tracks...outside of the title track of course. That's a classic.

Oh wow, almost new thread time. Who's making it and are we going to Orange Free State or elsewhere?

Axver said:

Ah, cool, sounds like the 2004 re-release then, which is the definitive version. Though it's nine tracks.

CD 1
1. The Sky Moves Sideways (Phase One)
2. Dislocated Day
3. The Moon Touches Your Shoulder
4. Prepare Yourself
5. The Sky Moves Sideways (Phase Two)

CD 2
1. The Sky Moves Sideways (Alternate Version)
2. Stars Die
3. Moonloop (Improvisation)
4. Moonloop (Coda)

CD2 #1 is over 34 minutes long. I love that it brings together the two phases of the song, but it's not for everyone. CD1 #1 and #5 and CD2 #3 are all over 16 minutes long.

Stars Die is a classic of psychedelic-era Porcupine Tree and is the first song the band ever got played on the radio.

Listening to the album now. Holy shit I love the psychedelic start to TSMS Phase One.

I've said it before but what an album. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom