Bjork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw the film, 'Dancer in the Dark' today.

Yikes.

It was a good movie, very well done. I liked it and would recommend it to people also. That being said, yikes. It will not go down on my "feel good" movies list.

More new album news:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-07/15.shtml

Details Emerge on Bj?rk's Medulla
Beatboxing members of Spoon, Flaming Lips still waiting for that invite
Miles Barger reports:
If you've been following Pitchfork's recent news coverage of Bj?rk, you already know that the diminutive diva's follow-up to 2001's icy Vespertine sports the title Medulla, and that it will feature, in typical Bj?rkian fashion, contributions from her innumerable artist freak pals. If you were reading closely, you also know that one of these contributors is a Japanese beatbox artist named Dokaka. What you didn't know is that Bj?rk apparently has plans to base much of the album-- if not its entirety-- on rhythmic structures created by mouth alone.

In a recent Rolling Stone article, Bj?rk proclaimed that "instruments are so over." So, uh, what does that mean? Well, it means that, according to Billboard, Medulla will rely primarily on vocals, with Bj?rk barking her charmingly broken English lyrics over beatbox rhythms. To this end, she's employed not just Dokaka, but also Shlomo (reportedly "the next step for the UK beatbox") and beatboxing legend Rahzel-- best known as a current member of The Roots, but formerly a collaborator with Grandmaster Flash and LL Cool J-- who will provide the equivalent of basslines for many of Medulla's 14 tracks.

The mouthbeats will, of course, be accompanied by more melodic vocal sounds, ranging from the trained classicism of Gregory Purnhagen and the Icelandic and London choirs, to the wildly original sounds provided by Inuit throat-singer Tanya Tagaq, and Mike Patton, the shrieking madman behind Mr. Bungle and Faith No More. Additionally, Matmos, M?m's Valgeir Sigurdsson, Olivier Alary (of Rephlex recording artists Ensemble), and Jake Davies (who has mixed previous releases by Bj?rk, Madonna, William Orbit, and others) will contribute their programming skills.

It seems that all this reliance on the larynx stems from Bj?rk's desire to mind-meld with Mother Nature. In an interview appearing in this month's W Magazine, Bj?rk revealed that she was inspired by "paganism, and the rather esoteric idea of returning to a universe that is entirely human-- without tools or religion or nationalities."

Medulla is set to be released on August 31st via Elektra Records, and will appear in both CD and SACD formats. Also, Bj?rk dj?rks should take note that a limited edition of the LP will feature expanded artwork and a 16-panel poster. The first single is expected to be "Oceania", which Bj?rk is scheduled to perform live at the Olympic Games in Athens. Tracklist:

01 Pleasure Is All Mine
02 Show Me forgiveness
03 Where Is the Line?
04 Vokuro
05 ?ll Birtan
06 Who Is It (Carry My Joy on the Left, Carry My Pain on the Right)
07 Submarine
08 Desired Constellation
09 Oceania
10 Sonnets/Unrealities XI
11 Piano II
12 Mouths Cradle
13 Wednesday (Midvikudags)
14 Triumph of a Heart

:up:

2 songs were played on Radio 1 from the upcoming album, 'Medula', today. 'The Pleasure Is All Mine' and 'Mouth's Cradle'.....I have both of them on my computer....

Anyways, both are VERY cool!!! All of the background music was done 'vocally'. It's extremely impressive. I will KILL to see her perform these kind of songs live!!! I think I'm going to have to add this CD to my 'to buy' list!!! August 31 really isnt that far away, is it?!!!

Well that's exciting! Even though I rarely listen to her records, I love Bjork and the show I saw last summer at Red Rocks was one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life. She's extraordinary.

I'm anticipating this new album a lot, especially now that you (mofo) are saying the new songs sound so cool. Less than a month away now!

I listened to Pleasure is All Mine the other day and came away very impressed. So many potentially great albums coming out this year!

SkeeK said:
I listened to Pleasure is All Mine the other day and came away very impressed. So many potentially great albums coming out this year!

Try to get 'Mouth's Cradle'. I really like both, but I prefer Mouth's Cradle. :up:

u2popmofo said:

Try to get 'Mouth's Cradle'. I really like both, but I prefer Mouth's Cradle. :up:

I guess I've no excuse then.

I surprised the whole shebang isn't online yet. I guess the big lables have good security.

Apparently she'll be performing at the opening ceremony to the Olympics. (Which will be on this Friday)

:up:

I was wanting to watch the opening ceremony anyway, and now I definitely want to. I'm glad it's tomorrow so I can see it. This morning I was thinking the ceremony was tonight and that I'd have to miss it. Crazy ice cream social! :angry:

So you think she'll perform a new song? Or some kind of special song for the olympics?

So I guess both Bjork and Tiesto are performing......

Hopefully NBC wont cut out their performances here.

u2popmofo said:
So I guess both Bjork and Tiesto are performing......

Hopefully NBC wont cut out their performances here.

No, they didn't cut the performances.

THEY JUST FLAPPED THEIR F**KING JAWS WITH USELESS DRIVEL THROUGH THE WHOLE THING.

:banghead:

Yeah, I wish there would have been less talking and less shots of NOTHING while Bjork was performing.

What was that song?? I have no clue.

Also, I'm guessing Tiesto did the whole mix for the athletes walking out. I heard one of his songs from his latest album towards the end of it all, and most all of those songs seemed very trancey :up:

EDIT:

The Bjork song was called 'Oceania', it's from the new album.....

.....http://www.web-original.com/bjork/OCEANIA.zip
(Supposedly a rip of the studio version, sounds like it's from the radio or something. I have no clue why they had her perform it at the Olympics....it's also probably my least favorite of the songs I've heard from the new album so far, that could just be from the not so excellent quality of the recording though)

Last edited:
I think they had her perform that song to go along with the theme of the importance of the ocean to Greece's history. I don't know...maybe if I'd actually heard the f-ing song! Thanks Bob and Katie!!!! :angry:

On a positive note, I'm assuming that was Tiesto doing the music for the parade of nations. Didn't take me long to go "Whoa! Trance music!" I even recognized a few songs in there. Excellent, uplifting music with which to march 11,000 people into a joy-filled stadium. I give props to the Athenians for that decision. :applaud:

Overall, I enjoyed the ceremonies. I thought the lighting of the cauldron was awesome. And I know it's cheesy, but it does give me hope to see so many different people from the entire globe give up their differences for a little friendly competition. :)

HeartlandGirl said:
And I know it's cheesy, but it does give me hope to see so many different people from the entire globe give up their differences for a little friendly competition. :)

I was moved seeing the Afghanistan and Iraqi athletes. The Italians, as always, were my favorites, though.

http://unit.bjork.com/specials/albums/medulla/

Watch the music video for 'Oceania' there. The audio on the song is MUCH better on the video that it was on that crappy link I put up last night. The video is pretty cool too. There are also videos of the making of the album and clips of every single song.

Just click on the Medulla player in the corner (you have to have Quicktime).

At the end of the surreal and vocally symphonic "Mouths Cradle," she concludes, "I need a shelter to build an altar away from all Osamas and Bushes." With this heavenly orgy of angelic choirs and gigabytes of technology, she has succeeded.

:hyper:

Back
Top Bottom