Best Live Song Of The Decade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess for me it depends on which tour we are talking about.

Elevation Tour i liked BD and Elevation best with an honorable mention to Kite and NY
Vertigo Tour i liked OOTS, COBL, and SYCMIOYO
360 Tour I pretty much like everything. Of the new songs NLOTH, GOYB, Magnificent, MOS are my favorites. But BD is now considered "classic" (imagine that) but for some reason Vertigo and COBL still stand out.

I have no idea how to answer the original question.

I agree with everyone who has posted so far.

Vertigo, great in the studio at first, then quickly becomes just ok after a few listens. However, live, it has an incredible amount of added energy. Its far from the best song of the decade, but when we are talking live....

Vertigo for live song of the decade, hands down. I have never found a bad performance of this song, even with a few different arrangements having been tried.

City of Blinding Lights opening Vertigo shows comes in a close 2nd.

Others:
Kite(Vertigo)
Walk On(Elevation)
NLOTH

I do agree with the OP in the sense that, for some reason, there was no new Bad, Streets or Please.

Spectacular nonetheless, but nothing truly show stopping.

Vertigo has to be the winner here. The band wanted to play it twice. Most of the crowd was thrilled when they heard it start up again. And even cynical interferencers who liked to declare how tired they already were of the song eventually came around and admitted that the 360 version was indeed outstanding.

Runner-ups would include Beautiful Day and the 2001 version of Walk On. Beautiful Day is easily the song of the decade when combined with the studio version. Walk On really blew me away back in 2001, especially post-9/11, but unfortunately, the 360 version just didn't compare.

other notables certainly include the awesome version of Crazy Tonight and the incredibly moving Miss Sarajevo

does it have to be a song from the last decade or a song they played live last decade?
If it's the last then 'Gone' and 'Until The End Of The World' from the Elevation tour were great!'and also the section and transition 'All I Want Is You - Streets' was great on that tour.

This is really difficult for me to judge.

What is funny is that a lot of songs that are not that special at all on an album can turn out to be very great live songs! For example, I enjoyed Vertigo, Get On Your Boots and Unknown Caller. And a lot of songs that are already great, even become better live: Please, Gone, City Of Blinding Lights, Breathe.

ways because I'm not sure any song has really broken out of the box and been a revelation in quite the same way that Bad, Streets or Please were.

Yes, please, bring Please back LIVE! Come on U2,

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

does this help?

:wave: Hi devilshoes!

I guess it has to be COBL, doesn't it? either that or Beautiful Day, Vertigo or NLOTH, oh and Magnificent as well. I still think FEZ-being born would have been incredible live...

Hey Gav :wave: always good to see you post mate!!

I'm totally with everyone who went for NLOTH, I love the album version but on stage it was just a rolling wave of raw energy. Absolutely brilliant.

haven't seen 360 yet, but after seeing Kite live in its Vertigo incarnation, it's going to take a lot of beating. those ten minutes will forever stand as some of the best ten minutes of my life.

Well, Streets will always top live performances (cept Vertigo Tour), but Here is my list for the 4 tours (counting Vertigo as 2)

1 -- Elevation Tour -- Kite
2 -- Vertigo Tour Indoor -- City of Blinding Lights
3 -- Vertigo Tour Outdoor -- The Fly
4 -- 360 Degree Tour -- I'll Go Crazy Remix

SMB

I found the live version of Unknown Caller to be the definitive argument to why it is the U2 song of the decade for me.

Other notables are the Crazy Tonight remix, No Line On The Horizon or Walk On.

Yes, please, bring Please back LIVE! Come on U2,

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

does this help?

yes please

'00 live song of the decade? what about unknown caller?

I was just listening on my ipod(on shuffle) and Boots came up. A Live version so either Amsterdam or Dublin. And woah, it rocked. It made me remember how they managed to change this meh studio song into a blast live! Certainly one of my favourite moments of the gigs!

the fly..........elevation tour

I interpreted this question as: best song released this decade for its merits as a live song and I chose NLOTH.

If the question is: best song they have played live during this decade, then the Fly (Elevation Tour) and Ultraviolet scream to the top of the list for me.

But methinks the former was actually the question.

Beautiful Day as many others here have said. :up:
Also like the Crazy Tonight remix.

Liked Moment of Surrender as a closer this past leg of the tour. :heart:

Ya know, some people have mentioned that Breathe didnt work well live cause they opened with it and people wants hits to open, but, when has U2 ever opened with a huge hit? Zoo Station, Mofo, Elevation, City of Blinding Lights, even Streets wasn't "the" hit of that album. Just my two cents

SMB

Breathe is radical in the sense that, at first glance, it seems to make about as much sense as having One Tree Hill, Acrobat, Dirty Day, New York, or ABOY open a show.

That being said, having let it sink in, I really like Breathe as an opener.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom