Batman - The Dark Knight Rises

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about Leonardo DiCaprio as young Alfred in a flashback to Operation: Tangerine in Burma??

I'm glad there's still a possibility for Talia's involvement however I wouldn't have pegged her for French (Cotillard pretty much can't drop the accent) but then again Liam Neeson's depiction of the father was kind of cosmopolitan-can't-place-it-European so it could be fine.

Though I initially though of it as just a tossed-off reference to Bruce's mentor in the comics, Ra's Al Ghul went by the French alias of Henri Ducard, so it's not a stretch in the least.

Variety has since updated to say he is not playing Alberto Falcone, would have been a nice connection to BB, but I'm still holding out hope for Black Mask.

Oh wow. That's embarrassing for everyone who was touting that story as fact (I'm looking at you imdb).

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompson...otillard_confirmed_for_the_dark_knight_rises/

Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Oscar® winner Marion Cotillard (“La Vie en Rose”) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt have joined the cast of “The Dark Knight Rises,” the epic conclusion to the Dark Knight legend. Cotillard will appear as Miranda Tate, a Wayne Enterprises board member eager to help a still-grieving Bruce Wayne resume his father’s philanthropic endeavors for Gotham. Gordon-Levitt will play John Blake, a Gotham City beat cop assigned to special duty under the command of Commissioner Gordon.

Still, Bane & Catwoman are just not as compelling as Black Mask, who has never had a proper adaptation.

Black Mask would have been great, although I do think the Catwoman character (as either the jewel thief, prostitute or 'Protector of Gotham') is even more compelling. But given the fact that Nolan has yet to write a female character that even remotely resembles a human being, I'm not so sure that this is the right time for her to resurface on the big-screen. I'm also not sold on the idea of Liza Minnelli playing her.

:lol:

I just think the nature of the relationship between Black Mask's parents and Bruce's as well as their own childhood relationship create a real tense dynamic for Bruce to take on as Batman following Black Mask's obsessive downfall. Plus come on, the man has a mask made out of his father's coffin fused with his face, how fucked up is that?

Black Mask popping up in the third film without any sort of prior build-up, especially if Begins enforces that Rachel is Bruce's only friend, wouldn't work.

What's more exciting than TDKR are the dual animated adaptations of Year One and The Dark Knight Returns. Fuckin' rad.

Are they doing TDKR? I was kind of hoping they'd do one's like The Long Halloween as well.

And re: the Begins connection, I had that same thought when people first suggested Black Mask, but Sionis and Bruce weren't really friends, just forced playmates. It's true thou that the only way they can do that character right is to introduce him early on in an adaptation, so he probably won't pop up if anyone takes the reins and continues this universe after the next film.

batman-the-movie-1989-series-2-topps-179-front-you-want-to-.jpg

Are they doing TDKR? I was kind of hoping they'd do one's like The Long Halloween as well.

And re: the Begins connection, I had that same thought when people first suggested Black Mask, but Sionis and Bruce weren't really friends, just forced playmates. It's true thou that the only way they can do that character right is to introduce him early on in an adaptation, so he probably won't pop up if anyone takes the reins and continues this universe after the next film.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49286

For the record, All-Star Superman is incredible for a direct-to-video effort. I've always felt that superhero features shouldn't pull from one arc/graphic novel too heavily and that if they wanted to, an animated feature would do. The Long Halloween may be a little redundant right now since Nolan's taken so much from that and Dark Victory for his features.

Agreed on Black Mask.

I know Nolan's used them a lot, but these are separate obviously and I think it'd be cool to see a direct adaptation of those novels.

I thought that the storytelling was pretty solid. I wasn't a huge fan of the anime-inspired aesthetic or the emphasis on action setpieces. It was enjoyable, but nothing close to the highs of the Animated Series.

See All-Star Superman.

I'll check it out, though I'm really no big fan of Superman outside of Bryan Singer's film and the first two Chris Reeves ones.

I have never seen All-Star Superman, nor Phantasm or Under the Red Hood.

I might remedy this soon.

Also, can I just say that I was so excited when Green Lantern was announced, easily my favorite comic book series.....saw the first trailer and almost puked....saw the 2nd and felt a tad better....but still have low expectations.

Lastly: The first Burton Batman film really has held up poorly....but the 2nd is still fantastic, at least for me. I'll take TDK and Begins over it, though. Even with Nolan's flaws, etc, his strengths still appeal to me and I enjoy his films greatly. There you go.

I pretty much agree with that assessment of the live action series, for me:

Batman Begins
TDK
Batman Returns

everything else

I have never seen All-Star Superman, nor Phantasm or Under the Red Hood.

I might remedy this soon.

Also, can I just say that I was so excited when Green Lantern was announced, easily my favorite comic book series.....saw the first trailer and almost puked....saw the 2nd and felt a tad better....but still have low expectations.

Lastly: The first Burton Batman film really has held up poorly....but the 2nd is still fantastic, at least for me. I'll take TDK and Begins over it, though. Even with Nolan's flaws, etc, his strengths still appeal to me and I enjoy his films greatly. There you go.

Maybe you should check out Green Lantern: First Flight as well. The second GL trailer looks a little more promising, at least everything on Oa does.

Phantasm is an absolute must-see, particularly if you ever watched/enjoyed The Animated Series. I definitely consider it to be the finest Batman film ever made (released theatrically, too).

YOU WANNA GET NUTS? Absolutely agreed on Burton's Batman entries. Nolan's main flaw is his literalism. He plays with Batman's iconography more through dialogue and character interaction than the image, though TDK improves upon Begins in that regard.

I pretty much agree with that assessment of the live action series, for me:

Batman Begins
TDK
Batman Returns

everything else

As far as live-action goes:

The Dark Knight
Batman Returns
Batman 1966
Batman Begins

Wham bam.

I want to say something about TDK, apropos of nothing, really:

I know that the film is far from perfect, and that Nolan is derided in certain circles, etc.

Spoiler alert -

I cannot name a recent or even semi-recent blockbuster type of film that had me more riveted or even uneasy than this one did. Maybe I'm a sucker or a fool, I don't know, but from the moment the hanging corpse slams against the glass of the mayor's office right up until the dual explosions where Dent and Rachel were being held, respectively, I was more or less on the edge of my seat and assumed that ANY character could die at any moment, outside of Wayne/Batman. I rarely, if ever, feel that way watching a film. I of course did not feel the same when I saw it for a 2nd time...but that first time was intense.

end spoiler

Again, this was no masterpiece, but considering the genre and the films that came before and after it from said genre, I think it had some remarkable moments and stands above its brethren. It also has Ledger's performance, which still blows me away while making me sad at the same time.

Anyway, yeah.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom