Batman - The Dark Knight Rises

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw that film once. And I don't even remember that scene.

Will never go back again.

And I'm proud of myself for never having sat through Batman & Robin.

It's not like using the spoiler tag is hard, his argument is kind of odd.

Exactly...in fact after Prometheus was released, he did:
I agree that it's well worth seeing and many of the aspects are great, but overall it felt inconsistent. Some scenes seemed hastily written and at least half of the (17!) crew members are superfluous.

dude, that's a total Caesarian, that muther was born big, bad and pissed off.

Also the gaps between this movie and Alien feel like a big 'fuck you' by not tying together properly. Given how closely they try to link to the original, it just seems mean spirited. The fact it's co-wrote by one of the Lost honchos adds to my ire.

I know I'm bagging on it, but GAF already posted a lot of positives that I agree with. There was also a line of dialogue quoted from Aliens that made me cheer.
as did others until Jive Turkey thought a spoiler filled thread was needed to discuss the film. Not saying this film needs that, but not posting the ending the day after its released would have seemed common sense/courtesy. Whatever.

lazarus said:
That's all you have to say? Not even going to comment on how big Cotillard's post-natal boobs looked?

Oh I've got a lot to say, much of it about Marion's bountiful bosom. I was just too lazy to type any of it out. I'll bite on a few thoughts though:

People are complaining about how easily Bane was dispatched, but it kind of made sense since it showed how much easier things are if Batman ignores his one rule. Hath's quip after killing Bane pretty much sealed that's what they were going for.

Was it just me, or was the passage of time totally fucked up? Specifically when Bruce was in the (Lazarus) pit. It was a few months, and the passing of seasons tipped that off, but it still felt.... off.

When Bane and Co. leave the stock exchange, it's day. Then they go into the tunnel and get the runaround from Bats for a few minutes. Then they leave the tunnel and it's pitch fucking black. What?

I liked the movie a lot anyway and think Bane was one of my favorite movie villains ever. The first Bane vs. Bat one on one in the sewers was one of the best sequences of the trilogy. And I do think he was a better villain than the Joker, which I've been getting shit for.

In any case, I'm going to see it again once the crowds settle down and will have more to say then.

Bane wasn't exactly a weak point, but I do find it hard to praise Tom Hardy's performance over Heath Ledger's, and part of it has to do with the inherent flaws in the character itself, and the writing team's adjustment to them. Since Nolan's Bane is so radically different from comic Bane, it took me at least an hour to get comfortable with the characterization. Bane sure likes to hear himself talk now, nice accent, where's the venom, etc. I like what they did with the character, but I almost wish they had crafted a new villain entirely. Joker's characterization, on the other hand, was spot on but still felt fresh. It helps that he had so many great, iconic lines. I'm not sure I remember a single thing Bane said, although his presence was powerful and imposing.

Hewson said:
not posting the ending the day after its released would have seemed common sense/courtesy. Whatever.

As would not reading the thread until one has seen it for themselves. You still seem under the illusion that TV airs everywhere at the same te and spoilers are not required I'm those threads.

But I'm glad you're feeling 'whatever' about this now. Let's both allow this thread to get back on track.

-------------

Also liked the Jonathan Crane cameo. Really cool to see a previous defeated villain pop up and make a nuisance of himself in later installments.

I spent the first half or so feeling a little like I wasn't liking it as much as the last one. And then shit started going down, and I spent the rest of the movie on the edge of my seat. Literally!

(I'm one of those people who flinch and say "ooh" and stuff when they're really involved in a tense movie. Heh.)

I had some things to nitpick about it, but I'm not really interested in doing that. I loved that I was so involved in it once I got over the initial skepticism. And I got a big grin on my face every time the big dramatic Batman music came in, which is always nice.

.... I lied, I'll say one thing - Catwoman seemed kind of unnecessary. They obviously needed a character who could fight and hold her own, but did it have to be Catwoman per se? Oh well.

I wanted more Catwoman. (specifically: Her stealing from someone before Bruce, with a news report calling her Catwoman. And another scene with her and Batman.)

I was surprised by how much I liked Catwoman, as I may have already said. I expect to kind of hate her, and I decidedly did not.

My biggest problem with the film was the lack of backstory for Bane. Not the person, but the villain. Like, where the fuck did the mask come from? It seemed like they were relying a bit too hard on the audience just knowing who Bane was and what the mask did, and I was kind of irritated with that throughout the film, waiting for the explanation to come.

Really enjoyed the movie, but I found some of the dialog hard to understand, especially Bane. And then trying to follow along the backstory of some characters was difficult, too.

It sounds like maybe some of the theaters got a bad copy of the audio. I went to a local Loews cinema with an imax screen and had zero trouble understanding any dialogue.

Being gigantic and sprawling was the movie's benefit and problem- occasional moments where the enormous scale of events really came through, and frequent moments where my brain glazed over a bit because there wasn't really a thread to hold my interest.

When the plane sequence came out ~6 months ago I could barely even hear Bane, but in the final release it was almost comic how front in the mix they put him.

I had trouble hearing a lot of the dialogue, from several characters; it seemed like the volume could just have been too low in my theater.

All I got from Bane was that the mask somehow "held in" his intense pain? There were one or two lines about it, but not a lot of explanation.

One nitpicky question: how the hell did Bruce get back into Gotham after getting out of the Pit Of Despair? I don't mind not having the details of how he got back to the US, but how did he get into the city itself? I guess Batman has all sorts of secret passageways, but that seemed like a miss.

It's like the bit in The Dark Knight where Batman jumps out the window with Rachel, and we're left to assume that the Joker ... what? Shrugged, said "oh well" and did a little shuffle dance out the door with his goons?

Oh, thought of another thing - I didn't like the kid singing the anthem that played under the set-up Bane's takeover. It was good and tense for a set-up, but it seemed almost jarring to have that "This movie takes place in America" reminder. You know? I know there've been references to the president, and the military, but Gotham to me is Gotham, existing outside of the realm of the real world, and the country itself is unimportant.

So that felt weird to me.

I really enjoyed the police chase when Batman made his return. After that scene I was on the edge of the seat.

The only thing that bothered me was when Batman was in his cave without the mask. There was no black around his eyes, but then I figured it might've been a nod to Batman Returns. :)

One nitpicky question: how the hell did Bruce get back into Gotham after getting out of the Pit Of Despair? I don't mind not having the details of how he got back to the US, but how did he get into the city itself? I guess Batman has all sorts of secret passageways, but that seemed like a miss.

This entire plot line amused me. The movie in general was a weird cross between Rocky 3 and Rocky 5 (losing someone you care about, getting your ass beat, rehabilitating, doing something awesome while everyone cheers you on and, with regards to 5, going broke and receiving a bad piece of news from the doctor that "prevents" you from working) but that shit where he climbed out of the hole and was instantly in Gotham cracked me up. Did he get a ride to the airport? Did he walk there...presumably across oceans? What the fuck?

Cori, I remember reading about Bane's mask before the movie came out (from press stuff; the few Batman books I have don't include the character) and seeing an explanation of his condition, but was surprised when it was only touched upon briefly in the film.

Apparently the mask releases a steady stream painkillers (perhaps in some kind of vaporized form) to keep up with his chronic spinal condition. When Batman damaged the mask later on, it gave him the upper hand as his opponent was in excruciating pain.

Don't really have a problem with the "how did Bruce get back to Gotham" issue, as according to the countdown he had a number of days to do so, and I think all can agree that he's a pretty resourceful guy who surely has connections all over the world.

I got enough out of it to know that Batman breaking the mask put Bane at a big disadvantage, but yeah, an extra sentence or two would have been nice for those of us who love the movies but have never seen a peep of the source material.

I didn't mind so much the missing link of him getting across the world (likewise how he got to Italy at the end - I didn't buy for a second that he was legit "broke." Also, billionnaires have connections.), but just waltzing back into the city.

"Stop, who dares try and cross Gotham's Bane Barricade!"

"Uh ... Bruce Wayne."

"Oh hey, man. Welcome home. Come on in."

How'd he get from the Pit to Gotham? Well, he's the god damn Batman.

I went back and read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth today. That shit needs to be a movie.

Back
Top Bottom