Barcelona I Setlist Party (and show discussion & thoughts) Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Try, just try to see the forest for the trees. In other words, try to see the bigger picture...

It is certainly standard for U2, for any band, to open with a bunch of their new songs, and it's not abnormal to see a hit thrown in... nothing "amazing" about that... U2 have always done that.
But you're flat out wrong.

PopMart opening night: 1 new then 'I Will Follow'
Elevation opening night: 2 new songs then 'UTEOTW'
Vertigo opening night: 1 new song then Electric Co

I don't know why you even try when it's so easy to look up and prove wrong. U2 has not opened with this many new songs since ZooTV, so don't try and pretend it was a given. I know facts aren't your thing, but when it's this easy why do you even try?

But your flat out wrong.

I don't know why you even try when it's so easy to look up and prove wrong. U2 has not opened with this many new songs since ZooTV, so don't try and pretend it was a given. I know facts aren't your thing, but when it's this easy why do you even try?

:applaud::applaud: Definetely impressive that they opened with so many new songs.

and I'm four posts away from 1,000.... finally!

I love WOWY but the truth is the versions in recent tours have been pretty poor with the occasional nightly bout of brilliance.

But your flat out wrong.

I'll say it again, try to see the forest for the trees. Try to see the bigger picture.

The arrival of a first "hit" doesn't preclude subsequent new songs from being included new-song-opening-slew...

And on top of that, we're not so much focussed on "opening night" as we are on the "standard setlist" that tends to gel a few shows in...

I'll say it again, try to see the forest for the trees. Try to see the bigger picture.

The arrival of a first "hit" doesn't preclude subsequent new songs from being included new-song-opening-slew...

And on top of that, we're not so much focussed on "opening night" as we are on the "standard setlist" that tends to gel a few shows in...

I have seen a lot more comments COMPLAINING about the setlist, than how AWESOME it was.

Not sure what band you were expecting to show up last night...Springsteen? Pearl Jam? Radiohead?....No it was U2! (Who delivered a very "expected" U2-traditional, setlist...which is perfectly fine by me)

I have seen a lot more comments COMPLAINING about the setlist, than how AWESOME it was.

Not sure what band you were expecting to show up last night...Springsteen? Pearl Jam? Radiohead?....No it was U2! (Who delivered a very "expected" U2-traditional, setlist...which is perfectly fine by me)

See if people actually listened, I might not have to add so much clarification. On what basis do you expect that I expect a Springsteen-ish U2? I know U2 don't vary their setlists... that's fine.

See if people actually listened, I might not have to add so much clarification. On what basis do you expect that I expect a Springsteen-ish U2? I know U2 don't vary their setlists... that's fine.

You asked earlier for them to leave off Streets (and I'm sure the other usuals, that setlist bitchers want left off, One, WOWY, Pride, etc...), and I'm sure you have your "wants" like UTEOTW, etc...

My point was, more people bitch EVERY FUCKING TOUR, KNOWING U2, and their "predictable" setlists...Yet you keep asking for us to "Try to see the bigger picture"

Here's a pretty big picture...Quit bitching! The band CAN do wrong, in regards to setlists, and in my opinion, they usually get worse as the tour goes along, but NOTHING we say or do will change it.

ENJOY THE SHOW.

jezus, that was ONE disaster of a version. People can whine about Popmart Las vegas sounding unrehearsed with the lowpoint of SATS but that was a song they had never played live. You can not say the same about One, easely one of the most overplayed songs in history which is a shame because it had SO much grace.:down:

BTW is Bono not "playing" guitar on One anymore?

This is what you said:

the funniest thing I read was someone saying "awesome" to 4 opening NLOTH tracks followed by BD. Don't get me wrong, nothing disappointing in and of that, but nothing "awesome"-worthy... it was simply completely expected.

"4 OPENING NLOTH TRACKS" you said were expected. You can twist it all you want, but it's there in black and white.

This was a break from their formula, but that would put a kink in your theory so I'm pretty sure you're gonna twist some more... have at it.

You asked earlier for them to leave off Streets (and I'm sure the other usuals, that setlist bitchers want left off, One, WOWY, Pride, etc...), and I'm sure you have your "wants" like UTEOTW, etc...

My point was, more people bitch EVERY FUCKING TOUR, KNOWING U2, and their "predictable" setlists...Yet you keep asking for us to "Try to see the bigger picture"

Here's a pretty big picture...Quit bitching! The band CAN do wrong, in regards to setlists, and in my opinion, they usually get worse as the tour goes along, but NOTHING we say or do will change it.

ENJOY THE SHOW.

OK...

Your point is that the number of bitchers is increasing... that's completely expected.

I'm not sure how that ties into my "try to see the bigger picture" comment. That was a reply directed at another poster who failed to grasp my point on two subsequent occasions. Said poster was not able to grasp that the "new song opening slew" can stretch past a hit. As an example, and to make this crystal clear, the following qualifies as a bunch of new songs at the beginning of the show. Note how the "hit" does not interrupt this fact.

Song:
1. New song 1
2. New song 2
3. Hit
4. New song 3
5. New song 4

Bunch of new songs at the beginning. Not "amazing". Not judging in terms of good or bad, certainly not amazing/unexpected.

False. People listen, call you on your asinine dribble, then you qualify it by changing the parameters. (Perfect example, your arguement with BVS, he PROVED you wrong, and yet you slightly change what claimed, and then complain when we call you on it.

OK...

Your point is that the number of bitchers is increasing... that's completely expected.

I'm not sure how that ties into my "try to see the bigger picture" comment. That was a reply directed at another poster who failed to grasp my point on two subsequent occasions. Said poster was not able to grasp that the "new song opening slew" can stretch past a hit. As an example, and to make this crystal clear, the following qualifies as a bunch of new songs at the beginning of the show. Note how the "hit" does not interrupt this fact.

Song:
1. New song 1
2. New song 2
3. Hit
4. New song 3
5. New song 4

Bunch of new songs at the beginning. Not "amazing". Not judging in terms of good or bad, certainly not amazing/unexpected.

:lol: I knew you would twist more...

No one said "bunch of new songs at the beginning" "4 opening songs".

By this type of twisting logic you could make any argument for how this setlist followed a formula.

You never change.

OK...

Song:
1. New song 1
2. New song 2
3. Hit
4. New song 3
5. New song 4

You dont want to hear new songs, or warhorses. Can I suggest you will never be happy until you get a setlist entirely made up of obscurities?

I would strongly recommend you take a step back, becuase this is an arguement you aren't coming out of well. Whether or not you have a solid point (which is subjective anyway, so there is no 'truth' to the matter), you are on a U2 fansite talking to U2 fans. Your motives will never win in an arguement. In the end we want to enjoy what a band we have followed for 33 years of their lives are offering us.

If you feel you are entitled to more, you are a very sad, pathetic, entitled and above all selfish selfish person.

Grow the fuck up.

Song:
1. New song 1
2. New song 2
3. Hit
4. New song 3
5. New song 4

Just for everyone's information, here's what's happened post-ZooTV.

Popmart's early shows began with one new song (Mofo) and then two old songs (IWF, EBTTRT). By the second leg, this was changed and for the first six songs, the band alternated - i.e. it went new/old/new/old/new/old.

Elevation, with one exception, began with two new songs then at least two old songs before another new song came in at fifth (usually this was Elevation, BD, UTEOTW, NYD, then Stuck or Kite). By the third leg, the third new song often did not appear until seventh in the setlist. The one exception I mentioned, 10 October 2001, went new/old/old/new/cover.

Then Vertigo? It usually began with one or two new songs (majority of shows, this was COBL and Vertigo), then all old songs until about eighth or ninth in the set. At a majority of European shows, Vertigo was first, then they did seven old songs before hitting COBL, the second new song, ninth.

If you're really convinced that my current stance is inconsistent with what was said previously, then let's continue this debate. If, as you claim, I'm pushing myself into a corner by compromising my initial position, then surely you can expose these flaws.

But you can't...

Do you realize that, for you, new songs post-"hit" can't be qualified as belonging to the new song opening bunch?

I wonder how many people moaning about it were actually there. Personally I loved the show, loved seeing them again, loved seeing them play the songs I have loved for so long and loved the whole aura and atmosphere generated inside the stadium. Not sure either what people expect from a band that has followed a certain (pretty successful) forumla for 30 years.

How long until people start suggesting UV & TUF should be put on rotation once the novelty factor of having a couple of "new" old ones has worn off? Couple of weeks?

Just for everyone's information, here's what's happened post-ZooTV.

Popmart's early shows began with one new song (Mofo) and then two old songs (IWF, EBTTRT). By the second leg, this was changed and for the first six songs, the band alternated - i.e. it went new/old/new/old/new/old.

Elevation, with one exception, began with two new songs then at least two old songs before another new song came in at fifth (usually this was Elevation, BD, UTEOTW, NYD, then Stuck or Kite). By the third leg, the third new song often did not appear until seventh in the setlist. The one exception I mentioned, 10 October 2001, went new/old/old/new/cover.

Then Vertigo? It usually began with one or two new songs (majority of shows, this was COBL and Vertigo), then all old songs until about eighth or ninth in the set. At a majority of European shows, Vertigo was first, then they did seven old songs before hitting COBL, the second new song, ninth.

Perfectly said, kind sir. I believe that consititutes "the bigger picture".

Kind of makes comments like this one...

If you're really convinced that my current stance is inconsistent with what was said previously, then let's continue this debate. If, as you claim, I'm pushing myself into a corner by compromising my initial position, then surely you can expose these flaws.

But you can't...

Do you realize that, for you, new songs post-"hit" can't be qualified as belonging to the new song opening bunch?

... look silly, doesn't it?

But you can't...

How can you even begin to argue this point, or say that given that the last 30 posts have conclusively proven you wrong?

If, as you claim, I'm pushing myself into a corner by compromising my initial position, then surely you can expose these flaws.

Anyone with a reading comprehension level over 1st grade can see you've backed yourself in the corner. This is why no one ever defends you when you get all asinine, because they can't...

This is exactly why you've been suspended and called troll more than almost anyone...

You dont want to hear new songs, or warhorses. Can I suggest you will never be happy until you get a setlist entirely made up of obscurities?

You can, but you will look really, really silly because I've addressed that on several occasions. Could this be an illustration that you're not really listening?

I'd suggest that you guys are the ones that are looking poor... your resorting to the use of abusive language more than proves my point.

You can, but you will look really, really silly because I've addressed that on several occasions. Could this be an illustration that you're not really listening?

I'd suggest that you guys are the ones that are looking poor... your resorting to the use of abusive language more than proves my point.

Ive actually woken up to read that you are STILL waffling on with this shit. I haven't got the time, nor care enough about what you have to say to go back through the posts.

Suffice it to say that it is a logical conclusion to draw given that you complain about boith new songs and warhorses... what else is there left???

You STILL cannot acknowledge that you are wrong about the new songs though. I don't know how it can be put to you more plainly: you stated 4 new songs in a row is standard, Axver and BVS PROVED to you that you couldn't be more wrong about that, and you still try and argue further, slightly changing your tune every time.

Not the smartest move given that what you have previously written is still on the page :lol:

I've had enough. Anyone who can do that is far too stupid to waste my time on. I can only assume you are doing this to perpetuate the arguement for your own sick and twisted pleasure, and I will be no part in that anymore.

Goodbye, and I hope you really really don't enjoy the rest of the tour, because you don't deserve to. :wave:

Actually, make that three exceptions. I just remembered 16 May 2001 and 9 June 2001, which opened with one new song and were then followed by six old songs (16 May 2001) or five old songs (9 June 2001) before the second new song was reached.

/pedant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom