Bangaluru Bangers Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sad Punk said:
The church in question where the burning took place was in a beachtown on Yorke Peninsula, some while south from where I grew up. A bunch of AOGers burned Qur'ans, dreamcatchers, whatever they could get their hands on that was religious, but not Christian. Whether this act was encouraged there or not, I'm not sure. I know all too much about how they all 'pity' the Muslims and Jews, particularly the younger fundies-in-the-making are potentially developing a degree of racism and intolerance.

It is unfortunate that we view AoG members like this, because a lot of them are actually fine and hardly fundamentalist- if at all. But so many of them, mostly youths, just downright frighten me. They even managed to convert a friend of mine that I thought would be atheist her entire life.

Oh bloody hell. That's the kind of thing I'd just like to think doesn't happen in Australia. It makes me feel nauseous when it does. These are probably the people who marginalise Muslims and then complain about how the Islamic community exists separate from Aussie society and "those Arabs" (because apparently Muslim = Arab, despite, you know, Indonesia et al.) should just go back to where they came from, eh?

FFS, people. You're not going to have social integration if you're just going to contemptuously look down your nose at everybody who doesn't conform to your creed of choice.

major_panic said:

Mmmm, interesting. It's why I'm taking my theology course at a Baptist college - they're very neutral compared to most of the other options out there. Gotta love a balanced viewpoint on theology and a lack of blind fundamentalism or overemphasis on holiness.

It's kind of funny to say that in light of how the Southern Baptists in the US are some of the craziest religious nutjobs though, eh? Going to a Southern Baptist church once - not willingly, mind you - has kind of given me an instinctual wariness to all Baptists, which is really unfair I know but that experience scared the shit out of me.

major_panic said:
I've always just wanted to visit the mountains, do some martial arts training with the monks in misty valleys, sorta thing.

Yeah, that sounds awesome. :drool:

The problem with good Chinese food is that everyone classifies Chinese differently. There's Malaysian/Singaporean Chinese, there's Indonesian Chinese... then you get to provincial Chinese, and it gets trickier.

Box Hill or Glen Waverley are places to go for Chinese, although I'm sure there are some good ones in the city.

Box Hill :shudder: I usually mentally refer to it as "Vietnam".

Ahh, right. I suppose I'd be happy to try any style, really - I like discovering new food. I figured you'd probably be one person who has a bit more of a clue than most about what's good, and also what goes in the stuff! I've occasionally entertained trying Chinese, but I look at the menu and think "well ... I'm probably allergic to half of what's here!"

Axver said:

It's kind of funny to say that in light of how the Southern Baptists in the US are some of the craziest religious nutjobs though, eh? Going to a Southern Baptist church once - not willingly, mind you - has kind of given me an instinctual wariness to all Baptists, which is really unfair I know but that experience scared the shit out of me.

Ah yes, Southern Baptists. I don't count them as Baptists - they just fall under the category "American" :wink:

Speaking of Americans and China though, how awesome would it have been to be with the people who pwnd Pumpkin's father in America?

Uniting, Catholic and Anglican were all pretty good where I grew up. I was Anglican myself, we had close ties to the local Catholics and for a few years had a wonderful English priest who was extremely well versed in all matters of theology (and he saw U2 live way back in the early days, which didn't hurt) and encouraged knowledge. His sermons, rather than 50 minute metaphors like at AOG churches, often delved pretty far into history, which made them interesting even as I became less faithful. Shared many a crispy Stella with him, too.

Unfortunately, I'm getting increasingly worried about my uncle, who is now very fundamentalist. He even demanded in the Uniting church that there should be strictly no female priests or those with authority. There is no one else like this in the family, so it's just completely disturbing that views like this can come from nowhere.

major_panic said:

Ah yes, Southern Baptists. I don't count them as Baptists - they just fall under the category "American" :wink:

Speaking of Americans and China though, how awesome would it have been to be with the people who pwnd Pumpkin's father in America?

:lol: I like your categorisation system.

And YES! I thought that guy was just going to vanish into the mist. Great to see him get thoroughly owned.

Oh bloody hell. That's the kind of thing I'd just like to think doesn't happen in Australia.

No kidding. When I heard about it, I didn't really react, I was just like "fuck, I got to see these eejits and have a talk to them". Nothing violent, just to knock some sense into their heads.

Last edited:
All right people, it's been great fun but it is past 1.30am, and I do have to sleep. So, take care and I'll see you all sooner or later - Axver probably both, and in the flesh!

Man I'm gonna walk up to you and just go "Everything you know is wrong!" or "Kunstmuseum Lichtenstein!" just to see how you react.

The Sad Punk said:
Uniting, Catholic and Anglican were all pretty good where I grew up. I was Anglican myself, we had close ties to the local Catholics and for a few years had a wonderful English priest who was extremely well versed in all matters of theology (and he saw U2 live way back in the early days, which didn't hurt) and encouraged knowledge. His sermons, rather than 50 minute metaphors like at AOG churches, often delved pretty far into history, which made them interesting even as I became less faithful. Shared many a crispy Stella with him, too.

Ah, you're lucky. I would have loved that sort of thing about 3-4 years ago. The only churches I ever went to were far too vapid and intellectually unfulfilling. No, I don't want to stand and sing poorly written songs for 20 minutes and listen to some cliches and then try to make small talk with people who seem to worry less about the theological guts of conversion and more just want to chalk me up as another number on their conversion tally.

Incidentally, I was born Anglican. My parents, although not religious (my father is an atheist, my mother is unconcerned), wanted to get me baptised just as a cultural thing, so they went to the local Anglican church. The regular pastor, who had previously stated he would do it, was away and his replacement point blank refused to baptise me unless my parents would bring me to church regularly. They only intended to take me on Easter and Christmas. Well, they were so unimpressed by this that not only was I not baptised, but I never set foot in a church for religious-related reasons until I was 13!

Axver said:

Ah, you're lucky. I would have loved that sort of thing about 3-4 years ago. The only churches I ever went to were far too vapid and intellectually unfulfilling. No, I don't want to stand and sing poorly written songs for 20 minutes and listen to some cliches and then try to make small talk with people who seem to worry less about the theological guts of conversion and more just want to chalk me up as another number on their conversion tally.

I will say though, the Hillsong people up at Sydney have got more than a fair bit of Edge to their guitar tones, especially their youth music...

Anyway, good morning y'all!

major_panic said:
All right people, it's been great fun but it is past 1.30am, and I do have to sleep. So, take care and I'll see you all sooner or later - Axver probably both, and in the flesh!

Man I'm gonna walk up to you and just go "Everything you know is wrong!" or "Kunstmuseum Lichtenstein!" just to see how you react.

:lmao:

Oh, do it. I'll laugh for days. Hope to see you at the lecture ... whenever it is! I just know it's before the tute; I've forgotten the rest of my timetable. :uhoh:

:wave:

Seeya, mate!

I need to hit the hay, too. Got a full four hours of sleep last night. Almost crashed a bunch of times while driving through the Adelaide hills yester/today because of it!

Might draw a picture of Bono snorting Rhode Island, first. That should hopefully inspire a fascinating dream.

Have a good one, cats - see you later!

The Sad Punk said:
Might draw a picture of Bono snorting Rhode Island, first. That should hopefully inspire a fascinating dream.

:lmao: You must post that if you do.

And have a good night! :wave:

unico said:

Hey unico! :wave:

I love how just when the Aussie crowd filters out and I fear this thing is going quiet, the US morning crowd rocks up. :up:

You missed Ian and I getting all excited by cricket. What a loss for you, I know. :wink:

We've been having a worryingly serious discussion of religion at the moment.

And those of us in Melbourne have been working out meetups.

Yeah, we've been talking about the advantages of agnosticism, and our religious persuasions, and about crazy Australian and American Christians, and about proselytisation and all that. I even worked Søren Kierkegaard briefly into the thread!

We do, fortunately in much smaller numbers. For example, Family First - who I call Fundies First - is essentially our equivalent of the religious wing of the Republican Party. Except Fundies First can manage only one Senator, and there's no way he'll achieve a second term. Everybody makes fun of Fundies First; they're a laughing stock.

good morning guys. I don't get the beacon thing over in mia's thread...anyone?

also NPR has been staticky on my radio for 2 days :sad:

Hey Vazza! :wave:

Just working on an ultra-leftie anagram thing for unico's epic thread. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom