B&C's 2020 Albums of the Year Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Album you all should have put on your list because it’s my damn album and I’m an attention whore sometimes
The American Frontier “Memories”

No bullshit, it's on my list of stuff to relisten to for final rankings.

No bullshit, it's on my list of stuff to relisten to for final rankings.

I only didn’t include it in mine because I didn’t want to seem so self-serving. It’s obviously my most-listened-to album of the year.

1. Destroyer - Have We Met (13)
2. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher (12)
3. Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters (12)
4. Jessie Ware - What’s Your Pleasure? (12)
5. A Girl Called Eddy - Been Around (12)
6. The Soft Pink Truth - Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase (8)
7. The Avalanches - We Will Always Love You (7)
8. Lianne La Havas - Lianne La Havas (6)
9. Gordi - Our Two Skins (5)
10. Something for Kate - The Modern Medieval (4)
11. Moses Sumney - græ (3)
12. Against All Logic - 2017-2019 (2)
13. Bob Dylan - Rough & Rowdy Ways (1)
14. Nubya Garcia - Source (1)
15. Autechre - SIGN (1)

do those points work?

A Girl Called Eddy cracking the top 10-15 would be awesome. Looks like she's got a shot.

It would be pretty crazy. I’m surprised anyone with under 25k monthly listeners on Spotify would place in more than a list or two, much less overall. They’re definitely an artist with a small following that you’ve championed pretty hard.

Which reminds me to say you all need to listen to Impossible Weight by Deep Sea Diver.

Well, I've just listened to A Girl Called Eddy and it would have definitely made my list if I had not yet submitted it. What a fun album. There are so many different influences all over the place that I don't know how it came out as a cohesive piece.

I'm glad we are finally talking about her actively. I find it extremely interesting to see an album (likely) to make our collective top 15 and we never even talked about it at any length.

Just gave it another listen yesterday afternoon and I actually managed to forget just how much I like it.

Last edited:
I won't reopen my list because there is always* another album waiting around the corner to be heard, so when it's done it's done.

* Unless you are LM.

I've been tempted to re-do mine, with places for Torres and Phoebe Bridgers. But like Gump I think I will just let it lie.

Glad I got my list in early. We’ve been without power for 35 hours now. Over 100,000 houses were affected and we’re one of the 15,000 still without power. Ugh.

Albums
1. Phoebe Bridgers – Punisher (12)
2. Dua Lipa – Future Nostalgia (12)
3. Jessie Ware – What’s Your Pleasure? (11)
4. Lianne La Havas – Lianne La Havas (11)
5. Tim Heidecker – Fear of Death (11)
6. Porridge Radio – Every Bad (11)
7. Fiona Apple – Fetch the Bolt Cutters (7)
8. Taylor Swift – Folklore (6)
9. Charli XCX – How I’m Feeling Now (5)
10. Torres – Silver Tongue (4)
11. Carly Rae Jepsen – Dedicated Side B (3)
12. Destroyer – Have We Met (2)
13. Soccer Mommy – Color Theory (2)
14. A Girl Called Eddy – Been Around (2)
15. HAIM – Women in Music Pt. III (1)

Honorable Mention
Waxahatchee – Saint Cloud
Perfume Genius – Set My Heart on Fire Immediately
Sufjan Stevens – The Ascension
Tennis – Swimmer
Taylor Swift – Evermore

Songs
1. “Oh How We Drift Away” – Tim Heidecker feat. Weyes Blood
2. “I Know the End” – Phoebe Bridgers
3. “One More Second” – Matt Berninger
4. “Spotlight” – Jessie Ware
5. “The 1” – Taylor Swift
6. “Now I’m In It” – HAIM
7. “Need Your Love” – Tennis
8. “Read My Mind” – Lianna La Havas
9. “Good Grief” – Torres
10. “Long” – Porridge Radio
11. “Jody” – A Girl Called Eddy
12. “Cheap Regrets” – The Districts
13. “4 American Dollars” – U.S. Girls
14. “Breathe Deeper” – Tame Impala
15. “This Love Isn’t Crazy” – Carly Rae Jepsen

While I am going to start tabulating the results this evening, I am fine with anything that gets submitted over the weekend. I'll get it added in there. I forgot Monday is a holiday, so I am no longer concerned about work. We're definitely full steam ahead for the full list Monday evening.

1. Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure? (15)
2. Caribou - Suddenly (12)
3. Doves - The Universal Want (10)
4. Fleet Foxes - Shore (10)
5. Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters (8)
6. Washed Out - Purple Noon (8)
7. Grimes - Miss Anthropocene (7)
8. The Avalanches - We Will Always Love You (6)
9. HAIM - Women in Music Part III (5)
10. Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immediately (5)
11. The Weeknd - After Hours (4)
12. Run The Jewels - RTJ4 (4)
13. Taylor Swift - Folklore (3)
14. Sylvan Esso - Free Love (2)
15. Hayley Williams - Petals For Armor (1)

Honorable Mention:
Taylor Swift - evermore
Deftones - Ohms
Charli XCX - How I'm Feeling Now
Glass Animals - Dreamland
The Killers - Imploding The Mirage
Purity Ring - Womb
Best Coast - Always Tomorrow

Well, here it is, better late than never.

As I've mentioned, at length, in the past: Since moving to California, my music listening time has been cut to an extreme compared to how much music I used to listen to. Part of that I blame on work, part on a general feeling of meh that's pervaded my life for the last 4 years. Whatever the case, this year, I think we all know why, I've had a lot more time to listen to music. This is the most confident I've been about a list I've submitted in years, and the most familiar with the music, as well. They've been the soundtrack of a difficult year, so they'll always be just a little bit more treasured. Full disclosure, I knew it was going to take me until the last day to do my list, and out of fear of cooking the books, I've not looked at anyone's lists yet, besides once or twice when I gave something a quick glance. Overall, I have no idea exactly how well any album is doing, beyond knowing that A Girl Called Eddy appeared on a ridiculous number of lists, for how little it was talked about.

1) Rina Sawayama - Sawayama - 15 points
If you haven't heard this. Do. This is the most cracked out combination of pop, J-pop, Lady Gaga, 90s, Angry Girl 2000s Rock, shit, I don't even know how to describe this album.
2) Taylor Swift - evermore - 12 points
Taylor and I have finally reconciled. We were never meant to be apart
3) Dan Deacon - Mystic Familiar - 10 points
I've always liked Dan Deacon, but holy shit, this album's on a whole 'nother level
4) The Strokes - The New Abnormal - 10 points
On the other hand, I have not always loved albums by The Strokes. This one is absurd in how brilliant it is. Also 10 points just for acknowledging they lifted melodies from other songs, instead of trying to pretend it was just a coincidence
5) Ka - Descendants of Cain - 8 points
There was decidedly little hip hop I enjoyed this year, which was disappointing. Thankfully Ka was here to fill the void. A perfect blend of beats, samples and smooth saxophone. It's always the easiest way to sell an album of the genre to me
6) A Girl Called Eddy - Been Around - 9 points
Hello there....
7) Charli XCX - How I'm Feeling Now - 8 points
It's taken me the entirety of quarantine to get over how much I hate "pink diamond". Now that I've managed to get over that song souring the beginning of each and every spin I've given this release, I've fully embraced that this was the album for the year. We needed it and I appreciate every strong feeling of unity it's given me through the darkest of times.
8) Best Coast - Always Tomorrow - 6 points
Yep, that's right. I love this fucking album. Deal with it.
9) Gorillaz - Song Machine, Season One - 6 points
I couldn't tell you why, but I really didn't want to like this album. I was actively avoiding listening to it. I even turned it on while I was doing housework, assuming that would make me dislike it even more. Forgive me for being the way I am. Regardless, I ended up listening to it twice, I was so enraptured. This is by far their best album. Don't @ me.
10) HAIM - Women In Music Pt. III - 4 points
This album has been the source of some debate between Travis and myself this year: Do bonus tracks count as part of an album? If you don't count the three bonus tracks on Women in Music Pt. III, it's not even close to as good. But Travis won me over to his side of the argument when he pointed out that I didn't bat an eye at Song Machine, Season One having bonus tracks, so I guess as long as it's part of the album, I'm counting it
11) Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher - 3 points
Phoebe Bridgers is not my style of musician. Maybe it was the odd nature of the year, or maybe the album is just that damn good, but I haven't been able to shake it.
12) Owen Pallett - Island - 2 points
There's always one album I have nothing to say about: I just liked it.
13) The Weeknd - After Hours - 3 points
Hey look everyone, it's the album of the year...record of the year? Song of the year? Artist of the year? This damn album wasn't nominated for ANY Grammys? wtf...
14) The American Frontier - Memories ~ 2 point
I'm not going to lie, I struggled with putting this on the list, because I'm afraid it will come off as pandering, but I legit loved this album. Really great stuff Tourist, and I hope, very much, that more people hear it and this really takes off for you. You also wrote one of my favorite songs this year.
15) Dogleg - Melee 2 Points
In another lifetime, I would've seen this band at some festival or another over the summer and cemented my love for them. They'd've soundtracked my summer, and hikes, like Cloud Nothings before them. I fall in love with a Post-Hardcore band every few years or so, like a migrating bird. Instead, I completely forgot they existed until I was putting together my list of favorite songs. I listened to this album tonight and thought of all of the things I didn't do this year, and felt the perfect quantity of emo required to truly love an album like this.

Honorable Mentions
Declan McKenna - Zeroes
I came really close to including this album on my list, simply because I believe it was close to being my most-played album of the year. I actually don't know what's keeping it out of my top 15. Maybe some of the inherent cheesiness of how poppy it is left me too embarrassed.

Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never
He and I have been on the outs for years. Glad he not only came back into my good graces (because I know how much that matters!), but with his best album.

Better Person - Something to Lose
This was actually my #3 album for the year until tonight. We'll watch your career with great interest, Better Person, but for now, while overall the sound is fantastic, the songs aren't quite there. Seriously, though, check out this act. Like some bizarre indie blend of every generic pop 80s band ever and Simply Red/Sade. I hope they go more in the latter route as they release more music.

Kaskade - Arkade Destinations Living Room
I moved this album out of my top 15, as well, because leaving it there would've been like putting a lo-fi study beats playlist in my top 15. The Arkade Destinations series is music Kaskade writes about locations he visits. This one was inspired by the lock down and is really chill music to listen to while you're, well, stuck in your living room. Really worth a listen.

Fleet Foxes - Shore
See: The last two sentences I wrote about Gorillaz

Rarer still, I'm actually going to share a list of my favorite songs from the year, but in no particular order:
Charli XCX - "forever" - Only song I'll rank, this is definitively the song of the year.
Empty Country - "Marian"
Taylor Swift - "happiness"
Gorillaz - "Aries (Ft. Peter Hook & Georgia)"
Annie - "The Streets Where I Belong"
TOPS - "Colder & Closer"
Bruce Springsteen - "Ghosts"
The Strokes - "Brooklyn Bridge To Chorus"
Rina Sawayama - "Paradisin'"
The Weeknd - "Hardest To Love"
Declan McKenna - "Daniel, You're Still a Child"

The Killers - "Lightning Fields (Ft. k.d. lang)" - Even though I still feel this song is just an updated "Red Rain"
HAIM - "I Know Alone" - When I first heard this song, I said HAIM could never release another note of music, and I'd still feel satisfied because this exists. I stick to that
Carly Rae Jepsen - "Comeback (Ft. Bleachers)"
Girl Called Eddy - "Jody"
Dua Lipa - "Physical"
The American Frontier - "Through The Mirror"
Dan Deacon - "Arp III: Far From Shore"

Other random superlatives:
Band that I got really into this year: Talking Heads
Band I *said* I was going to get really into this year, but then only listened to one album from: The The
Song I got really into this year: "Missiles" by The Sound
Band I'd never heard of that I got super into: stellastarr*
Song I have No Superlative for, I Just Wanted to Include It: "Somewhere Under Heaven" by Tom Petty [From the Wildflowers & All The Rest release]
Song that's not in my list of favorites because I totally forgot it even existed, but a period of time existed where it was my entire life: "1000 Doves" - Lady Gaga
Special shout out to: Every artist that released dope A F electronic music this year. I thought I was over that genre, but I was wrong: Caribou - Suddenly; Against All Logic - 2017-2019; Avalanches; Four Tet; Disclosure; Thundercat; Doves - Ultraclub4k , etc, etc, etc.

Does the Gorillaz album have anything even close to as good as Feel Good Inc (or even Sweepstakes or Stylo or Empire Ants)? The huge tracklist, bulk collaborators and iterative nature of it have put me off.

Aries, Désolé, Pac-Man (one of ScHoolboy's best features ever), Solitary Bliss, and Opium are all excellent tracks.

It's a tier below Demon Days and Plastic Beach because it lacks the connective tissue to give it thematic weight, but I'd put it on par with the debut. It's their most fun album and among their most compulsively replayable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom