Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey how 'bout this fucking budget everyone.

Fuck this country, or at least all the parts of it that voted for this shithouse government.
I haven't looked yet but it can't be any more vague and uninspired than last year's surely.

I haven't had a good chance to look into yet, I was working during it last night, trying to get my stupid clients to say something good. On the surface level, my initial reaction is it's pretty mild for a Liberal budget. I'm surprised about the emphasis on personal income tax cuts for low and middle-income earners (and personally pleased: I'll save about $500 a year I think, hence I vote Liberal now). But maybe that's the rub... it's a staid budget for a staid Govt trying to save its arse. But previous Lib budgets have come with a lot of brow-beating about all of us leaning in to wipe the debt.

I haven't had a good chance to look into yet, I was working during it last night, trying to get my stupid clients to say something good. On the surface level, my initial reaction is it's pretty mild for a Liberal budget. I'm surprised about the emphasis on personal income tax cuts for low and middle-income earners (and personally pleased: I'll save about $500 a year I think, hence I vote Liberal now). But maybe that's the rub... it's a staid budget for a staid Govt trying to save its arse. But previous Lib budgets have come with a lot of brow-beating about all of us leaning in to wipe the debt.

What?

If this gets up it basically obliterates our progressive taxation system, as it will mean somebody on $45k pays the same tax as somebody on $201k.

The ABC is screwed, again.

Our national library and archive are screwed.

Personnel are being ripped out of the Department of Human Services, while automation expanded (hi, robodebt).

The money being offered to Victoria for airport rail is a). contingent on Victoria matching it but b). still letting the Commonwealth control the project. "Give us 50% of the dosh and 100% of the power!"

$50 fucking million for a memorial to Captain Cook, a man memorialised more often than I've had hot dinners, not to mention the bloat offered to the War Memorial for an unneeded and unwanted expansion, while not a single one of our many crises in higher education is addressed.

But hey let's give ol' Jimmy the Cook another $50m, while a piddling $1m will do for "awareness" for endometriosis, like that only has the potential to affect half the population anyway and who cares about them!

I guess that is pretty staid for this Lib government though.

Come through for us, oh Senate.

The debt and deficit pearl clutching certainly seems to have taken a back seat as the years of this government have worn on, probably because it never meant shit to begin with.

As a side note, I pay no income tax whatsoever. I'll leave the reader to figure out just how low an income I must live on (I mention this to say only that I actually am that mythical national-interest voter. There really is nothing in it for me, in the 'hip pocket' sense). I do however pay plenty of GST, so really, it's horses for courses on that front.

Last edited:
I had to laugh at this bit from the Guardian writeup...

After handing down the budget on Tuesday night, and launching into the hard sell, the treasurer, Scott Morrison, declared the Coalition’s tax plan would hit parliament as one package on Wednesday morning despite some elements of it not taking effect until 2024 – which is at least two federal election cycles away.

Mate, you have no idea what the lay of the land will be in 2024. You could very well be in your sixth year of opposition by then (or more realistically, moved on to some company board sinecure somewhere, back working for Tourism Straya again maybe). It's meaningless horseshit.

Last edited:
The treasurer also emphasised that low and middle-income earners would see tax relief before big corporations, with the Coalition persisting with its tax cut for Australia’s largest firms in Tuesday night’s statement despite lacking the requisite parliamentary support.

Yeah, good luck with that.

The Coalition proposes to axe the 37% bracket so workers on incomes between $41,000 and $200,000 would be taxed at the same marginal rate – delivering a significant windfall for high-income earners.

I agree with Axver that this is some bullshit right here. It's the end point of the logic that saw the GST introduced nearly twenty years ago; they fucking hate progressive taxation. And the end result is always some version of 'gee, we can't afford to pay for social services, we're such a poor country donchaknow (a significantly poorer country than this one introduced the first old age pension a century ago).'

It's also... optimistic. Again, good luck with that. Let's see what the senate thinks.

Yep, agreed with all of that Kieran.

And hoo boy we've just lost another FIVE to section 44. This was once a decent laugh, but now I'm depressed - this is such a bad law, it's going to be extremely difficult to change and require an extraordinary amount of political will that we no longer seem to possess for anything, and it's going to make our parliament all the narrower. Why will any party endorse anybody who could have even the faintest whiff of ineligibility?

Oh that section 44 business is the gift that just keeps on giving. I've heard arguments on all sides, and despite it all, I can't really blame the high court for doing their job. It really is on the parliament to put it to a referendum if that's what it takes.

Come for the fiscal outlooks, stay for the efficiency dividends

Oh that section 44 business is the gift that just keeps on giving. I've heard arguments on all sides, and despite it all, I can't really blame the high court for doing their job. It really is on the parliament to put it to a referendum if that's what it takes.

I'm not sure I really concur with their reasoning for this case. It makes the candidate not only responsible for getting in the renunciation paperwork before the date for nomination (fair), but also responsible for any delays. If the other country takes months to process their renunciation and issue some certificate, too bad for the prospective candidate. I think that's mad. They've done everything possible to renounce; they cannot reasonably go and prod some bureaucrat in some office block to process the form faster.

It's true that the court's idea of what constitutes reasonable effort (let alone reasonably stiff hurdles) aren't on the generous side.

And indeed you have this farcical situation where a bunch of the MPs who just resigned are eligible... now. Eligible to run anyhow. Just not at the date of the last election. Yes, it's kind of a joke on that level. Maybe the court's making an ass of the law to make a point? "This is what it looks like. Fix it."

All this ancestry stuff got me to thinking... there seems almost to be a phenomenon, call it the reverse of the phenomenon where nearly any American called Washington or Jefferson is black and not in politics, where an Australian who can trace their descent to the convict days is likely to be rich and establishment.

And, geez, good luck finding anybody who doesn't have foreign ancestry within the past two or three generations. Even those with Aboriginal ancestry quite often have a foreign ancestor, and usually for all the wrong reasons.

Imagine if an Aboriginal person were rubbed out by section 44 because their grandfather raped their grandmother at a mission and it now turns out they inherited the grandfather's citizenship as a result. You have to wonder if something awful like that is the sort of extreme that would actually provoke a successful referendum to remove section 44.

That would be fairly ironic certainly, if something like that happened.

I'm actually a bit curious as to why this didn't blow up two or three decades ago. A lot of the middle and southern and central European ancestries (just for starters) were a feature of the political class in this country by the nineties at least, and maybe earlier. So what the actual fuck?

This guy's really not happy with the High Court!

The series of absurd rulings from our High Court has now reached the point where the majority of Australians are debarred from standing for election to Parliament, unless some foreign government chooses to help them. The latest ruling means that even renouncing a citizenship you never sought and have never exercised is not enough. Unless you start the process well before an election is even called, possibly years before, you are ineligible if you were born overseas, have an overseas-born parent and (probably) if you belong to an ethnic group which has a “right of return” to a national homeland. We have yet to explore the possible limits of other exclusion clauses.

There is some poetic justice in the embarrassment now being faced by Labor and Bill Shorten, who wrongly assumed they had prepared for the worst possible cases of High Court idiocy, and gloated over the misfortune of others. But that’s small comfort for anyone who would wish the outcome of democratic elections to be respected.

Until now, the line taken by the supporters of the High Court has been “it’s just a matter of following the rules”. It’s now been made clear that following the rules is impossible. An Australian citizen, even one who has never left Australia, can be ineligible simply because of the dilatoriness, incompetence, or even malice, of a foreign government. And, according to the High Court, there’s nothing they can do about it except wait.

The stupidity and bloody-mindedness of the High Court in this matter is matched by most of the political commentariat, and a large proportion of the Australian public, who will no doubt be represented in comments here.

I get what he's saying, it really does look like the court is trolling us... I just sort of hope I was half right that it is also implicitly batting the ball back into parliament's court. Ie. fix it. It is an absurd situation that cannot persist indefinitely, therefore it will not persist indefinitely. Whether that involves a referendum, or, some kind of interpretation act with respect to section 44 along the lines of the Acts Interpretation Act in the eighties (is that even possible?)

Last edited:
One Nation 2.0 meltdown proceeds apace.

See, where you guys saw a sinister progression, one One Nation member, then five, then fifty, all disciplined foot soldiers in the project of advancing One Nation... I saw what we got. Horseshit.

And I wonder, will Labor let the regular folks forget Pauline's support for more corporate tax cuts before doing an eleventh-hour about-face? Some economic populist.

I would laugh at it all if it wasn't so fucking scary and upsetting. Even I fucking felt for her during that interview. She's an evil cunt, and still part of me was like "fuck, her heart's in the right place and she truly believes what she's doing is right". I think that's true, even if she's a fucking evil cunt.

The problem we have is that, just like in the UK and the US and nearly everywhere else in the Western world, she's got a shitload of support here.

I would laugh at Mark Fucking Latham, probably the stupidest fucking cunt that has ever set foot on this continent, getting a One Nation gig, but it feels bad to laugh when support for these fucking arseholes is not insignificant.

Don't think we'll ever get to Trump sort of levels of popularity, but she's gonna be popular for a long time and the media will keep abetting her.

I would HOPE that if Latham got a gig with them the vast majority of the Australian public would realise what a fucking dumb cunt he is - seriously, if you go look at his tweets and tweet replies, you'd genuinely think he's lost a lot of brain cells - but who knows.

I would laugh at it all if it wasn't so fucking scary and upsetting. Even I fucking felt for her during that interview. She's an evil cunt, and still part of me was like "fuck, her heart's in the right place and she truly believes what she's doing is right". I think that's true, even if she's a fucking evil cunt.

The problem we have is that, just like in the UK and the US and nearly everywhere else in the Western world, she's got a shitload of support here.

I would laugh at Mark Fucking Latham, probably the stupidest fucking cunt that has ever set foot on this continent, getting a One Nation gig, but it feels bad to laugh when support for these fucking arseholes is not insignificant.

Don't think we'll ever get to Trump sort of levels of popularity, but she's gonna be popular for a long time and the media will keep abetting her.

I would HOPE that if Latham got a gig with them the vast majority of the Australian public would realise what a fucking dumb cunt he is - seriously, if you go look at his tweets and tweet replies, you'd genuinely think he's lost a lot of brain cells - but who knows.

She's done. She's a charlatan, and this is the second act. That shitload of support, is as evanescent as dew on the morning lawn.

What exactly is scary and upsetting about... what? One Nation melting down once again, for the second time?

And I don't know what's worse, that, or the ALP's cock-sucking of the Liberals when it comes to refugee policy. Sickening.

On that we are in agreement. I get the impression it's not unanimous (inside Labor), but the public face of things... really not good.

You underestimate how racist this country is.

No, not really. I just don't think it's the number one issue.

Although, I just realised that came off as kind of a non sequitur... what are you responding to? My claim that Pauline is done? Well, time will tell. Her mere existence as a media personality is one thing; her party (in so far as it is a party) is another.

Last edited:
I'm inclined to agree with the take that we're just fortunate the racist populist right in Australia has been a total rabble. Pauline is a fucking hopeless politician who cannot appear to run a bloody chook raffle let alone a political party, and still can draw up to 10% of the vote. If the lunar right had a popular, charismatic leader who could actually manage a party effectively, I dread to think how much of the vote they would scrape off the majors.

I struggle to think of any other side of politics that can consistently draw this volume of votes while still being laughably inept in personnel and organisation.

The Burston thing is so fucking damning though. This man had stuck by Pauline for YEARS. If she has lost him, she will never be able to work with anyone ever. I must admit I'm a little surprised the three One Nation members of WA's upper house are yet to defect!

I'm inclined to agree with the take that we're just fortunate the racist populist right in Australia has been a total rabble. Pauline is a fucking hopeless politician who cannot appear to run a bloody chook raffle let alone a political party, and still can draw up to 10% of the vote. If the lunar right had a popular, charismatic leader who could actually manage a party effectively, I dread to think how much of the vote they would scrape off the majors.

I struggle to think of any other side of politics that can consistently draw this volume of votes while still being laughably inept in personnel and organisation.

:up:

Apart from the personal idiosyncracies of the people involved, the political far right is also vulnerable to the fact that the (ostensible) centre-right hasn't cracked apart.

If anything worries you, it would be that. I don't see it happening, short of economic upheavals that don't bear thinking about. Which is to say, it could happen.

People like George Christiansen by rights ought to be in some kind of One Nation type grouping, but for whatever reasons, prefer not to be.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom