Attention! Fan Reaction Article For "Vertigo"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I promised myself I wouldn't listen to new U2 until it was officially released...so today I heard Vertigo for the first time.

Man, this sucker rocks.

It's like everything I've always wanted U2 to do...a hard, loud, ROCK SONG.

This will no doubt translate beautifully for the tour - can anyone say "Vertigo World Tour 2005"?!?!?!

I thought ' Vertigo' was INTESENSE! It sounds raw, fresh and has an " In your face" type of vibe sreaming from the tune. Somehow I am not shocked that U2 have succeeded in having all of us praise thier latest work.

Verdict: 8.5/10:up: :up:

LeopoldoBloom said:
Yeah, I wanted to say that - at the start he says 1,2,3, 14 in Spanish. The song is also 3min11sec long, right?

good observation but I highly doubt it. Way too much thought is going into these throwaway spanish numbers. Spend more time on the actual lyrics and you'll find what you're looking for.

i love vertigo and it rocks, what a perfect first single. But my prediction is it will not be the best single released on the album, it is just a great opener full of energy to grab everyones attention.

I can't read anymore of your mindless devotion...I have loved U2 since 1984, went to all of the tours bought all the albums, singles, poster, calanders, etc. etc. etc. from then 'till now, and up to today every time I heard something new from the boys I was blown away: that is until today. I mean what the hell happened to the magic? Anyone else think this is U2 trying to be something of a white stripes cross-bread.

I am so hurt, and I know many of you will just write me off as an idiot for not just eating it up with a spoon, ,but I have to be honest with my impression here. I would not say this if it truly had not hurt to be so under whelmed.

Again, let me state I have been with U2 since the early early early days, I love Zooropa and Pop (two of the least favs among large groups) I have loved it all until today.

There are songs on each album that don't do it for me like others do (i.e. Miami on Pop), but never have U2 lead out with a new single from the new album that I did not like.

1984: Pride <-- How can anyone not like this?

1987: Streets <-- Should be the national anthem!

1988: Desire <-- Damn nice, enough said.

1991: One <-- Don't need to say anything.

1993: Stay <-- Refer to above.

2001: Beautiful Day <-- Amazing!

2004: Vertigo <-- What the hell happened to the magic???

I even loved Electrical Storm, that William Orbit Mix had tons of U2 magic, but I can't hear any magic in this new stuff (so far). So please help me 'cause all of a sudden I don't even know who I am anymore.

RobVox

Love the song. It rocks and Adam, Larry, Edge and Bono are perfect on this track. An ideal first single. Funny, catchy, joyful.

RobVox said:
I can't read anymore of your mindless devotion...I have loved U2 since 1984, went to all of the tours bought all the albums, singles, poster, calanders, etc. etc. etc. from then 'till now, and up to today every time I heard something new from the boys I was blown away: that is until today. I mean what the hell happened to the magic? Anyone else think this is U2 trying to be something of a white stripes cross-bread.

I am so hurt, and I know many of you will just write me off as an idiot for not just eating it up with a spoon, ,but I have to be honest with my impression here. I would not say this if it truly had not hurt to be so under whelmed.

Again, let me state I have been with U2 since the early early early days, I love Zooropa and Pop (two of the least favs among large groups) I have loved it all until today.

There are songs on each album that don't do it for me like others do (i.e. Miami on Pop), but never have U2 lead out with a new single from the new album that I did not like.

I even loved Electrical Storm, that William Orbit Mix had tons of U2 magic, but I can't hear any magic in this new stuff (so far). So please help me 'cause all of a sudden I don't even know who I am anymore.

RobVox

I mean for hells-sake the Edge is doing the equivalent of power cords the entire song, power cords, the Edge, he never stooped to that ever, even songs like Bullet are beautiful soaring anthems, I am so depressed.

RobVox

Last edited:
Where's the magic?

This is magic. It's remarkably powerful and energetic, and I hope the rest of the album follows suit.

Just want to say that I completely agree with this:

Ultimately, this song does not sound like it was made by men in their forties. U2 sound much more youthful than they have in a long time, and considering the overwhelmingly positive reaction, it is going to have a far-reaching impact. It is a credit to U2; they have made a catchy, infectious, and rocking song full of brilliance. Some of it harks back to earlier works, with I Will Follow seeming to meet HMTMKMKM, but some of it is completely new, and this single reveals at least a portion of U2's direction for the next couple of years.

Last edited:
RobVox said:

I mean for hells-sake the Edge is doing the equivalent of power cords the entire song, power cords, the Edge, he never stooped to that ever, even songs like Bullet are beautiful soaring anthems, I am so depressed.

RobVox

There's nothing wrong with power chords. And there is that "traditional Edge" sound in the song - mainly during and after the second verse.

And Edge has done power chords before. "Elevation" is ALL power chords.

GibsonGirl said:

There's nothing wrong with power chords. And there is that "traditional Edge" sound in the song - mainly during and after the second verse.

And Edge has done power chords before. "Elevation" is ALL power chords.

Not in the general sense, at least from my point of view, with Elevation you get some great effects and some nice chord runs, but with this tune you don't, it just has that empty power cord feel.

Everyone get this straight I am not giving up on U2 (yet), but I was so excited, and now, not.

RobVox

RobVox said:

Not in the general sense, at least from my point of view, with Elevation you get some great effects and some nice chord runs, but with this tune you don't, it just has that empty power cord feel.

Everyone get this straight I am not giving up on U2 (yet), but I was so excited, and now, not.

RobVox

If it's what you feel, then there's no fighting it. Hang out here though, some of the people here are pretty cool.:wink:

Did you not like Discotheque and Numb? Did you eventually like tunes off their respective albums? Don't worry, it's one tune.

Last edited:
Empty power chords? I won't argue with you, but I'm curious to know if you're a fan at all of The Pixies and/or Ramones? Vertigo is inspired by their power chord oriented catchy simple punk/pop. Some may say that is the truest brand of rock ever made. I think part of U2 believes this and that's why they chose it as their preferred idiom to present this thank you note song to all those who have ventured into the heart or just outside the heart of the band.

RobVox said:

RobVox

Correct me if I'm wrong but The fly was the lead single of Achtung baby. One was the best though. That said I must confess the I didn't like The fly when it first came out. Much like I feel about Vertigo now. I come to love The fly over a periode of time so perhaps history will repeats itselfs.

Ronald

youre full of shit, if zooropa and pop are your fav u2 albums then you can be patient and get into the new single. I bet you you whined whenm disco came out too, and got all pissy. Just shut the fuck up already and enjoy the new song, get in line cause 99 percent of u2fans have been waiting for a song like this since 1991. stop being that guy.

i declare a fucking war on vertigo bashers, get off my internet

rymyx said:

youre full of shit, if zooropa and pop are your fav u2 albums then you can be patient and get into the new single. I bet you you whined whenm disco came out too, and got all pissy. Just shut the fuck up already and enjoy the new song, get in line cause 99 percent of u2fans have been waiting for a song like this since 1991. stop being that guy.

i declare a fucking war on vertigo bashers, get off my internet

Yet another person that can't read...I never said Zooropa and Pop were my favorite, merely that I liked them equally, and why in the world would I say I have liked every new U2 single release up until today and not included Discotheque, Disco was brilliant, this new tune, not brilliant.

Sigh, I guess hooked-on-phonics didn't work for this one...

RobVox

elevation said:

It's 8.37 a.m. and I've been listening to the song for about an hour or so - non stop... I guess I've got myself some sort of tinnitus or something :D I think I my thoughts now are different from my initial ones. The song makes me more and more think of the Irvin Plaza concert which I LOVE... No, they're not breaking new musical ground... but I'm actually finding my self liking it... Now there´s only one thing I dont like: That's the "swinging into the music part" - and with the whoa's in the background...

Then again: I just listened to The Fly, and I most admit: The Fly are classes beyond "Vertigo". It's intelligent, dark, innovative and incredibly sexy... Maybe I should put AB on repeat again...For the 89787 th time

I have tried to force feed it to myslef as well, and I am just not connecting, again all of my comments have been out of depression, I had just expected something that didn't happen, i am glad you all love it, maybe this is the "miami" of the album for me.

RobVox

Last edited:
All I can say is, as long as we have U2, rock 'n' roll will never die. :bono: :edge: :adam: :larry:

Though I kind of liked what one of the radio DJs said: "That is what true rock 'n' roll should sound like. If that song doesn't make you dance around in your underwear, you should seek professional help."

Long live rock 'n' roll! :dance:

RobVox said:

I have tried to force feed it to myslef as well, and I am just not connecting, again all of my comments have been out of depression, I had just expected something that didn't happen, i am glad you all love it, maybe this is the "miami" of the album for me.

RobVox

*trying to be nice*

Then stop FORCE FEEDING it to yourself, stop posting about it and trying to get attention, if you don't like it GREAT move on.

I personally think it'll be like "The Fly" of this album, strong, powerful but just a taste, maybe 5th or 6th best song of this upcoming album. I rate it a 7 out of 10. Am I giving up on this band No.

Did you give up when you heard:

Who's Gonna ride your wild horses?
Babyface?
Daddy's Gonna Pay for your crashed car?
Miami?
Playboy Mansion?
Wild Honey?

Grace????? for gods sake.

Geez, even the Beatles had shit songs, but so many people eat up everything they did likes its gods music.

Stop FORCEFEEDING yourself and go listen to some "Ray Charles" or "Marvin Gaye" "John Coltrane", that'll cleanse your palette.

I think after hearing it non-stop for two days and reading many people's comments, I can now have a real and honest opinion about Vertigo.

I fucking LOVE it.

Sure, it's not their deepest or original song, but that's the beauty of U2, they are able to make me feel so many different ways. Vertigo definitely has something no other U2 song has. First, it's one of the most rocking (if not THE most rocking) song they've ever recorded. Second, it makes me want to MOVE! Very few U2 songs make me want to dance, I could probably count them on one hand, and when I listen to Vertigo, I just want to jump up and down!

It's always hard to make comparisons between U2 songs, and not always relevant. But I think I can say at this point that in terms of energy and gut feeling, this is the best thing I've heard from U2 since Achtung Baby. And believe me, I'm a very critical person, especially of the things that I love.

This is even better than Beautiful Day, IMO.

I love it, I just love it, I can't stop listening to it...

PowerSurge said:

*trying to be nice*

Then stop FORCE FEEDING it to yourself, stop posting about it and trying to get attention, if you don't like it GREAT move on.

I personally think it'll be like "The Fly" of this album, strong, powerful but just a taste, maybe 5th or 6th best song of this upcoming album. I rate it a 7 out of 10. Am I giving up on this band No.

Did you give up when you heard:

Who's Gonna ride your wild horses?
Babyface?
Daddy's Gonna Pay for your crashed car?
Miami?
Playboy Mansion?
Wild Honey?

Grace????? for gods sake.

Geez, even the Beatles had shit songs, but so many people eat up everything they did likes its gods music.

Stop FORCEFEEDING yourself and go listen to some "Ray Charles" or "Marvin Gaye" "John Coltrane", that'll cleanse your palette.

To be honest, on your so called "crap U2 song list" the only song I don't like is Miami, all of the others I really like a lot, about trying to get attention: PLEASE!!

Is this or isn't this a forum to discuss how we all feel about the new song??? I am shit, just because my opinion isn't exactly in line with your's, so because I am not line with you I can't post? What the hell is all that about???

AND, btw, the force feeding is starting to work, I guess I just expected something else from the first single, but this "does" have a raw energy I just wrote off at first, so I will keep looking at it from new angles.

Be back later, maybe by then I will have had the revelation I missed, that you all had (honestly searching).

RobVox

Last edited:
Well, I hope the depression lifts RobVox...
I hate to see someone depressed (I'm a psychologist by profession, though not the kind who sees depressed folks)...

I like the advice people here have given you...stop trying to make yourself like it, cleanse your pallette, take a break. If you're feeling down about U2 and that bugs you, then listen to AB or some bits you love...Zooropa might be better actually, something with some tracks you like and some you don't. That might make you less worried that if you dislike one track you'll be disappointed by it all...
If you felt so shitty about Vertigo on first 10 listens, even if you come around to feeling its okay, you still won't get any magic I'm betting, not without some truly mind-altering experience..

BUt I am just soooo giddy with this song!!!

I find it utterly addictive actually!

I run it thru my head and want to hear it just one more time over and over,

and even got my husband who was a fan of pre-AB U2 only and rolls his eyes at my liking anything post 1989 (even AB itself which is just stunningly perfect devastatingly sexy and innovative and their best lyrical work ever, the crazy bastard) to admit it's a good one.
But then hubby liked the clash too, all those years ago now, and that is just what U2 got going here...an old-fashioned basic punk-y rock n roll song that I maintain they added signature U2 treatment to.

I liked BDay, really, but I didn't run it thru my head like this one..

Vertigo is so
bloody infectious and
yes that unusually
*dance-inspiring* U2 song
and so basic visceral
bang bang yea yea
but pleading in that special U2 reaching way...

It's making my spine tingle!!!!

I'm soo glad that U2 decided to make a song in this
style..I just love it..and
I think it will serve both to bringback old pre-1990 fans like my husband *and* bring in the youngins'...

cheers....

Their single's great but did they have to cover the Supremes "You keep me hanging on" in the chorus!

Hey Robvox,

I am new to this sight. I cannot believe you do not like this tune! I was floored the first time i heard it. I thought to myself, "I think they are finally going to put an album out that reaches their full potential." In my opinion U2 has been the best band in the world for about 20 years. However, it is sometimes hard to see for the average listener who does not see the band perform live (which is what makes them the best). Also, to be quite frank, the band underacheived in the Zooropa and Pop albums. ATYCLB was very good, but I still thought they could do better.

This song is going to jump up and smack people in the face! It is catchy, punky,
up tempo and god damn brilliant!

I am curious as to what your favorite U2 songs are. What are the top 8-10 songs you like? Just trying to get a feel for what you are looking for.

Going, going GONE!

Yeah it is a great song, when you listen to it, it seems that it's longer than 3 minutes and 11 secs cos there is so much in the song. Not just a one paced fast rock song, a lot more to it than that. I reckon the bit where it builds at the end of the second verse from the "swinging to the music" line and the "whoa" 's then full on into the chorus is a great bit of songwriting. U2 just write songs different from other groups, they just have that different "Edge" to them!:wink:

some of you guys are ridiculous

let a man have an opinion

yes it is a u2 song...and, SURPRISE, many people who have GREAT tastes in music will not like this song. (and many people WILL like itm no doubt)

I for one think it is a somewhat weak and predictable song...though it is growing on me.

Zooropa (the song) displayed U2 at their most creative...they have never recorded a better album opener since where the streets have no name.

anyway...this thread is for fan reaction...not all of it can be good...so give us some slack.
makes me wonder...if any band like The Vines had written this song would you love it as much? or is it just because it has the name U2 on it?
It's not unthinkable that many a band out there today could have written this song (aside from some trademark Edge-isms :up:)

I agree that everyone has the right to their opinion, but lets keep the opinions on VERTIGO, the new single from the band that got us all on this site. I feel the thread is moving away from its purpose, reaction to the single. mine is: IT ROCKS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom