Any fans of "The Porcupine Tree" on this board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wilson listens to AIR and MEW :)

http://www.swhq.co.uk/

Steven's Playlist
06 November 2005

Boards of Canada - Campfire Headphase
Murcof - Rememberanza
John Cale - The Island Years
Marissa Nadler - Ballads of Living and Dying
Air - Talkie Walkie
Richard Devine - Cautella
Tod Dockstader - Aerial
Venetian Snares - Metahole
Baby Bird - The Original Lo-Fi
Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites
Omit - Interior Desolation
Sunn O))) - Black One
Frida - Ensam
Hafler Trio - If Take Then Take
Charlie Poole - You Ain't Talking to Me

:bump:

.....because it is about time.....

And I just got my hands on Stupid Dream :drool:

Right now I am totally addicted to Piano Lessons and Don't Hate Me. What songs from Stupid Dream do you guys like?

Sly never returned to this thread :sad:

My favorite song from Stupid dream is "Pure Narcotics". "Piano Lessons" is very catchy as u say..

I like the slower songs of porcupine more..like "Hearattack in" or "collapse light" or "feel so low". In the same vein, stupid dream has "baby dream" - beautiful song...beautiful chorus..
I like "Even less" here too...its better than the longer version on Recordings..

"Stranger by the minute" is as catchy as "piano lessons"

"Stop swimming" is another song i really like..with lyrics like

"I'll leave now this can't continue
But I forget which door I came through
And I know that the lift can be painfully slow
So I'm happy to leave by the window "

its funny (in a way) as well as sad when you listen to it :(

steven voice is just too perfect !!!

I :heart: stupid dreams

perhaps the best album by The Porcupine Tree

Did you guys notice that PT is reissuing Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun in 5.1 surround and in remastered stereo (2-CD) ? :drool:

and....

guess the place:

pt02_1024x768.jpg

:love:

When is that DVD-thing coming out?

Dybbølsbro station ??

Oh wait, i can see something with A,,

Last edited:
yimou said:
Dybbølsbro station ??

Oh wait, i can see something with A,,

Yeah, it could look like Dybbølsbro.....it could look like Valby......actually it's Århus (that's what the sign says). It's in the cover of "In Absentia". They have a Danish photographer called Lasse Højer, apparently.

lol, worst station ever.

Well at least its serving a purpose if you are going to Fisketorvet :happy:

yimou said:
lol, worst station ever.

Well at least its serving a purpose if you are going to Fisketorvet :happy:

Fisketorvet :madspit:

Come to think of it, it could look like Enghave, too. :hmm:

Hello again! :bump:

How would you guys rank "The Sky Moves Sidewards" in their catalogue?

i like these guys. i'm trying to get used to their sound right now. but once they grow on me.........:drool:

U2Man,

I am not a fan of Sky moves sidewards...

I prefer shorter songs with vocals... - stupid dreams, recordings, in absentia, deadwings, on the sunday of life ..

U2man - dont get disappointed..my current obsession is MEW..which I think are from ur country

U2Man said:

.....because it is about time.....

And I just got my hands on Stupid Dream :drool:

Right now I am totally addicted to Piano Lessons and Don't Hate Me. What songs from Stupid Dream do you guys like?

Sly never returned to this thread :sad:

Stupid Dream may just be my current favourite and I love almost all of it (though I usually skip Tinto Brass). Piano Lessons is one of my three favourite PT tracks, and the others in my top five would be Even Less, This Is No Rehearsal, Baby Dream In Cellophane, and Stranger By The Minute.

I also love Sky Moves Sideways - if you enjoy Floydian things like Shine On You Crazy Diamond, you'll likely love Sky Moves Sideways.

Also, am I the only person who thinks the bassline in Voyage 34 Part I is almost identical to Another Brick In The Wall?

Okay i have listened to DEADWINGS many times

my favorite songs in reverse order is

9) Open Car

8) Shallow

7) Halo

6) Glass Arm

5) Dead wing

4) Start of something

3) Arriving somewhere

2) Lazarus

1) Mellotron Scratch

infact apart from open car and shallow, i think the rest are very very good...

AcrobatMan said:
of all porcupine tree albums i havent heard

Voyage 34 album
Metanoia
Up the stairs
Signify and
Stars Die

I have listened to other 8 or so albums

I love Signify, mainly because of Every Home Is Wired and Waiting Phase I. Also, I think this is on the song Intermediate Jesus but I keep forgetting, there's this great part where a preacher's words are garbled into something along the lines of "Jesus will separate you from God. Devils will take possession. God bless you." Hilarious.

Also, I love Up The Downstair. Synesthesia, Burning Sky, and Fadeaway are my favourite tracks there.

And my track ranking for Deadwing is currently:

1. Lazarus
2. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
3. Deadwing
4. Mellotron Scratch
5. Shallow
6. Halo
7. The Start Of Something Beautiful
8. Open Car
9. Glass Arm Shattering

For the benefit of bono_man2002, who I have recently introduced to the greatness of Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, and all that is good and proggy. :drool:

Check out Stupid Dream. It's better.

Or at least just download The Rest Will Flow from Lightbulb Sun. Everyone should hear that song. It's beautiful.

I checked Porcupine Tree out for the first time today. I downloaded Deadwing.

For the most part, I like what I'm hearing, although I don't care for when they go metal. The lead singer's voice is incredible but doesn't really work well with a metal-type sound, in my opinion. I think others might agree considering songs like Lazarus and Mellotron Scratch are high on some lists.

Arriving Somewhere is incredible, I think.

I'll have to check out some more stuff to get an even better opinion. This is just a first-time insight.

:wink:
I got into Porcupine Tree through Opeth. I'm a huge Opeth fan, but I'm starting to really get into Porcupine Tree. Dead Wing was awesome.

I was able to hear Stupid Dream today, and after one listen, I'm liking it, I'm liking it a lot. Even Less was amazing. I'm gonna go through it again now... :D

It appears to me that the whole trash metal portion of their music is a relatively new phase - am I correct in that assumption? I don't see the reasoning behind it. Their songs are so good, and they can certainly rock out on some parts without going into goth mode (although I must admit the heavy part on Arriving Somewhere works well). I guess a certain element of progressive metal isn't bad as long as they don't overdue it.

Awesome, I'm glad you're enjoying it! :up:

Piano Lessons off Stupid Dream is my favourite PT song. Other favourites are This Is No Rehearsal, Stranger By The Minute, A Smart Kid, and the amazingly beautiful Stop Swimming.

The metal aspect is indeed pretty new. It's actually a death metal influence. In 2001, PT's vocalist Steven Wilson produced Opeth's Blackwater Park (he makes a vocal appearance on the awesome song Bleak) and both Wilson and Opeth rubbed off on each other. The influence first seriously showed up on 2002's In Absentia and the Futile EP.

the very best thing about porcupine three is steve wilson's voice.

definitely one of the best voices in music today.

Back
Top Bottom