Any fans of "The Porcupine Tree" on this board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I just watched Dream Theater's Live At Budokan DVD, which is abso-fucking-lutely amazing, and now I simply can't wait for the DVD Porcupine Tree shot earlier this month in Chicago to come out. Should be incredible stuff.

AcrobatMan said:

but there are couple of cars though..wonder whose cars are those

:laugh:

I just noticed....If you look carefully in the cover, you'll actually see that these guys worked with a guy called "Lasse Højer" who is credited for photographs. Well, there you have the explanation. I bet Lasse Højer is Danish! :madspit: AcrobatMan, :madspit:

Indra, have you got your CD's?

I hope Indra will join our little gang here :drool:

U2Man said:

Indra, have you got your CD's?

I hope Indra will join our little gang here :drool:

I got Lightbulb Sun a few days ago and it's been in rotation along with my other new cds ever since. I'm quite liking it and will most likely pick up one or two more PT releases based on how much I like this one. Still waiting on Stupid Dream but it's coming from overseas so it could be a little while. I'm thinking of getting Voyage 34: The Complete Trip 'cause that sounds like it's right up my alley. I don't think it would be for all the time listening, but there are times that would be perfect. Seems as if it would complement The Church's Bastard Universe and Jammed cds. :)

oooh! and I also found that Marty Willson-Piper is a big PT fan. Now that doesn't always mean I'm gonna like it, but if I ever run into him it will give me something to say.... "hey, Marty, love that Porcupine Tree, eh?" :yes:

Never heard them before.... Someone hook me up with a song or something

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nevermind,,, i found a link

I am just blown over by Deadwings

The title track is just out of this world - very in absentish & even better :drool:

Lazarus is awesome... :wink:

Still have to hear the other tracks in a better way...will update when I have heard them all..

Now I am not having enough of the title song...

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Sly Stallone - > which song do you want

Indra -> appears MWP prefers sky moves sideways ;)
it must be long ago when stupid dream was a new album

"
VR: How about some the newer bands, like Ozric Tentacles?

MW-P: Oh yeah, I got all their albums. I just got their newest album, Waterfall Cities. Another favorite band of mine is Porcupine Tree.

VR: Their newest album, Stupid Dream, is fantastic.

MW-P: My favorite album by them is The Sky Moves Sideways. You have to get that one. It is a great album. It has a Hipgnosis cover (the company that did most of the Pink Floyd album covers).

VR: What do you think of America’s closest thing to space rock – Phish? Have you ever listened to them?
"

indra said:

I got Lightbulb Sun a

which one do you like more

- feel so low
- lightbulb sun
- rest will flow
- hate song

From what I have heard, porcupine tree's songs are either
( which sort of overlaps)

1) no drums or bass - only vocal, piano and minimum guitar
eg . feel so low or collapse light

2) metallish fast catchy - lightbulb sun ( the track), dislocated day, blackest stars

3) great 4-5 minute melody pop song - eg rest will flow, prodigal

4) long 10 minute + songs with lyrics - russia on ice, hate song

5) instrumental - 0.3, some of these are very long 15-20 min range

AcrobatMan said:

well i havent heard it , so cant comment

Voyage 34 - Phase 1 (12:54)
Voyage 34 - Phase 2 (17:24)
Voyage 34 - Phase 3 (19:24)
Voyage 34 - Phase 4 (13:42)

these are most likely long instrumental tracks...

Yeah, that's pretty much the impression I got from the description. But Bastard Universe and Jammed are long instrumental pieces also (BU is 6 "songs" totalling just under 80 minutes, and Jammed is two tracks -- one is 38:44 the other 20:00), so I know what I'm getting myself into. I like trippy instrumental music. :yes:

indra said:

Yeah, that's pretty much the impression I got from the description. But Bastard Universe and Jammed are long instrumental pieces also (BU is 6 "songs" totalling just under 80 minutes, and Jammed is two tracks -- one is 38:44 the other 20:00), so I know what I'm getting myself into. I like trippy instrumental music. :yes:

then sky moves sidewards is a MUST for you ...... :), i cant comment Voyage 34 though although it must be good because if its PT its good almost always..

i myself m not a big fan of long ( more than 10 min) instrumental songs

AcrobatMan said:

which one do you like more

- feel so low
- lightbulb sun
- rest will flow
- hate song

From what I have heard, porcupine tree's songs are either
( which sort of overlaps)

1) no drums or bass - only vocal, piano and minimum guitar
eg . feel so low or collapse light

2) metallish fast catchy - lightbulb sun ( the track), dislocated day, blackest stars

3) great 4-5 minute melody pop song - eg rest will flow, prodigal

4) long 10 minute + songs with lyrics - russia on ice, hate song

5) instrumental - 0.3, some of these are very long 15-20 min range

You know what I'm finding I quite like is the ebb and flow on this album. Oddly, probably the song that is my least favourite (Four Chords That Made A Million) is the one that is very catchy and sticks in my head so that I'm humming it when I'm out shopping and the like. :huh:

I'm finding I really like Lightbulb Sun (especially the very beginning, but it all works well), The Rest Will Flow (I love strings :heart: and it's a really pretty song....sometimes I'm a sucker for a pretty song), Hatesong (I find this one oddly erotic :ohmy: :reject: ), Russia on Ice I really like (strings again, but I also really like the vocals. actually I like the vocals on most.), and I also really like Shesmovedon a lot too.

Of those four right now I would have to go with The Rest Will Flow (it's the strings!).

There aren't really any I really dislike, at least not right now.

I actually enjoy Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled more than I should, but that is possibly because it reminds me of Warp Factor 9 and Big Spaceship and many of those funky outerspace movies I used to see when I was a kid. :D

Last edited:
AcrobatMan said:
where are all the guys gone...

One of them is still here :wink:

I think you should ask yimou and/or Sly Stallone about Mew, because I haven't really listened much to them.

Ahhhh, Mew,, great band :happy: The new album ´And The Glass Handed Kite´ is without a doubt the best fooking rock album to ever be released by a Danish band. AND if this album dosn´t stir something up out there in the music world then things are just fooked up :wink:

U2Man, do yourself a favor a check out just how amazing a Danish album can be,,, Forget about the new Kashmir album because it blows,

AcrobatMan said:
i myself m not a big fan of long ( more than 10 min) instrumental songs

Then don't go and buy a copy of the 40:07 version of Moonloop. :wink:

Axver said:

Then don't go and buy a copy of the 40:07 version of Moonloop. :wink:

sky moves sidewards has smaller version of moonloop ...plus also sky move sidewards part1 and part2.

unfortunately i cannot appreciate those..because (may be) i run out of patience.

i like intrumental songs..0.3, whales and wasps, one of these days, also orchidia.............but the long ones...i cant get it...

it looks like a deliberate attempt to make song long...and there it loses out with me..

after 2 days of listening to Deadwings the songs that stand out are

lazarus - moonlight is bleeding :drool:

mellotron scratch - i am looking at a blank page now :drool:

deadwings - my bleeding heard doesnt extend to charity

halo - God gives pain :wink:

i have to listen to last 3 songs properly...

AcrobatMan said:
From pure narcotics( released 1999) "You keep me listening to the Bends "

is this the "the bends" ( released 1995) by radiohead or something else..

Does anyone know

Yes, I read an interview with Steve Wilson and he confirmed it is indeed The Bends by Radiohead.

And regarding your post about long songs ... I can really like them; I think the best non-U2 song is Dream Theater's 23 minute A Change Of Seasons. What do you think of Arriving Somewhere But Not Here on Deadwing? It's one of my favourites, I absolutely love it.

I'd probably rank the album something like this:

1. Lazarus
2. Deadwing
3. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
4. Mellotron Scratch
5. Shallow
6. Halo
7. The Start Of Something Beautiful
8. Open Car
9. Glass Arm Shattering

Axver,

Thanks for that information - In one of the interviews, Steven Wilson had mentioned that radiohead were one of the better and creative bands in the music scene.

Dream theatre - I dont like Dream theatre. I dont like metal or prog rock ( except Porcupine tree which strangely I like very very much).

Regarding ranks,

I havent listened to all songs fully. I like "arriving somewhere" but I will listen it more when I was finished with "deadwings" & "mellotron" & "lazarus". I need to listen them 10 times each each day :drool:

So Based on that I would rank

1) Mellotron scratch
2) Lazarus
3) Dead Wings
4) Halo

i will listen to others soon...and then I can give a better picture..

With Inabsentia, initially I liked "blackest stars","sound of muzak" and "prodigal" most but after sometime, "collapse light", "0.3" and "heartattack" became my favorites....Also "creator had a masterpiece" & "gravity eyelid"

Now I love the whole album.

Deadwing looks like great album - just like stupid dream, lightbulb sun or inabsentia

right now...I have an urge to listen to deadwings all the time

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom