Another Showtime Show - DEXTER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hi got-eggs. i don't have this channel, so i can't watch this show. i'm just here to bug you and bee.

Time to start talking bout Dexter again.. new season starts Sept 30th! :happy: :hyper:

Here's a article on the guy who wrote the Dexter books on which the series is based.

Creating a serial killer who kills other killers

CAPE CORAL, Florida (AP) -- Jeff Lindsay doesn't seem like the kind of guy whose mind could give birth to a serial killer.

Jeff Lindsay is pleased with how the TV series based on his Dexter Morgan character turned out.

The soft-spoken, middle-aged author lives in a southwest Florida community with his wife and three daughters. He has a backyard pool and a fishing boat tied up to his dock.

But when Lindsay came to the conclusion that "serial murder isn't always a bad thing," he created the character Dexter Morgan, a blood-spatter analyst for the Miami-Dade Police Department who hunts and kills criminals in his spare time.

His vigilante justice was on display in "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" and "Dearly Devoted Dexter," and fans of the books can expect a third -- Dexter in the Dark" to hit book stores September 18. And "Dexter," the Showtime series based on Lindsay's books, is set to start its second season September 30.

Like his character, Lindsay admits his seemingly normal appearance is just an act.

"I don't know if it's possible to be a writer and be normal. It's not a normal occupation," Lindsay said. "I know I'm deeply neurotic, and I'm comfortable with that."

Despite his neuroses, Lindsay is still worlds away (or so it certainly appears) from his serial-killing protagonist. Because of a childhood trauma, Dexter is a sociopath with a need to kill. Fortunately for him, his foster father, a police officer, taught him how to dispatch those who deserve it and get away with it.

Dexter preys on killers who manage to escape justice, and Miami is his hunting ground. Lindsay, who grew up in the city, uses his knowledge to paint an accurate picture of his characters' habitat.

With 218,000 copies in print of his first two Dexter books, the new book and new TV season on the way, Lindsay is pretty content these days with life.

"I have very minor complaints," Lindsay said. "I was looking for a certain pair of shoes in my size recently, and I couldn't find them."

Lindsay, who has no direct role in the series, said he's a big fan of the show and especially likes the way Showtime stayed true to the books' graphically violent themes. (Reruns from the first season air Sundays at 9 p.m. EDT.)

The process that brought "Dexter" to the small screen started about two years ago when executive producer Sara Colleton read a review of "Darkly Dreaming Dexter." After reading the book, she said she thought it would make a great television show.

"It's a really captivating way to deal with larger issues of humanity," Colleton said.

Colleton pitched the idea to Bob Greenblatt, who had recently taken over at Showtime as entertainment president, and he gave it the green light.

Watching his characters being adapted for television has been an interesting experience for Lindsay. While film adaptations normally have to squeeze out much of the original work, a television series allows the show's writers to expand on the world created in the book, fleshing out relatively minor characters and giving them solid back stories.

The first season of the show followed the plot of Lindsay's first Dexter book with relatively minor changes, but Lindsay expects the second season to be a greater departure from the books.

"They're off on their own now," Lindsay said. "They've got the characters and the situations. They're just going to run with it and see where it goes."

Lindsay is looking forward to seeing what the producers come up with.

"I don't have a problem with it at all," Lindsay said. "There are things that make more sense on TV than they do in a book. They're different media. Different things work."

One of Lindsay's initial concerns was the casting of Michael C. Hall as Dexter. When producers told Lindsay they were getting an undertaker from HBO's "Six Feet Under" to play Dexter, Lindsay was content but unenthusiastic, thinking they meant Peter Krause, who played one of the undertaker brothers on the show. But when he learned they were talking about Hall, who played the other brother, who was gay, Lindsay said he just couldn't see it.

"But I visited the set the first day, and the first line I saw him say in character, I went, 'He's it,' " Lindsay said. "He's perfect. He absolutely nails Dexter. It just amazes me."

Hall was nominated last year for a Golden Globe and a Screen Actors Guild Award for his work on the series. He won a Television Critics Association Award.

Despite not having an official role with the show's production, Lindsay said he always felt welcome when visiting the set last year. He said he hopes to make a trip out to California this fall while they're still shooting the new season.

As for moving out to Hollywood permanently, Lindsay said that while he'd be happy to work on film and television projects, he's not looking to move west.

"I already did 10 years of hard time in Hollywood," Lindsay said. "I like where I am now. I'm a Floridian and I want to be in Florida."

While the Dexter novels have been Lindsay's biggest success, he isn't new to writing. A scribe for more than two decades, Lindsay has written plays, films, television shows and poetry. He also writes songs with his band, Wildfire.

Lindsay said he'd like to work on other projects in the future, specifically another play. But he's already started working on a fourth Dexter book, and the vigilante-serial killer will be his main professional focus for now.

"There's an obligation involved," Lindsay said. "You work your whole life to get to a place like this, and if people want to read them, I'll write them. As long as they like what I'm doing, I'll keep doing it."

Last edited:
Doozer61 said:
We just watched the first episode of this and it is so creepy. He is a forensic expert for Miami PD AND a serial killer. :yikes:

There is something eerily cool about this show. :evil:
I wondered about this. I can't see it yet because they aren't showing it in Canada, but it has David from Six Feet Under. I just hope it's not too violent as that scares me.

Re: Re: Another Showtime Show - DEXTER

Muldfeld said:

I wondered about this. I can't see it yet because they aren't showing it in Canada, but it has David from Six Feet Under. I just hope it's not too violent as that scares me.

watched the whole first season.. and yes there is violence.. if you are squeamish about that kinda of stuff.. take caution.. it is appropriate tho to the show and and not too excessive...

he is a serial killer and foresnic expert.. so this is expected. it's a great show though! I totally dig it.. and am excited about the new season..

I don't have Showtime but I rented season 1 and let's just say it was addicting I watched it all in 2 days! Laced with dark humor and psychological thrills it was right up my alley. My only complaint was I found the actress to be his sister to be a terrible actress. Will have to wait another year to watch season 2.
:grumpy:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Another Showtime Show - DEXTER

U2Fanatic4ever said:

watched the whole first season.. and yes there is violence.. if you are squeamish about that kinda of stuff.. take caution.. it is appropriate tho to the show and and not too excessive...

he is a serial killer and foresnic expert.. so this is expected. it's a great show though! I totally dig it.. and am excited about the new season..
Thanks for the info. So, I guess my father will be able to watch it and my mother won't. :)

Ah, I'll try to get her into it if I like it...

Thanks to Showtime On Demand, I've got the entire first season at my disposal whenever I want. I'm only three episodes into the show, but I'm really enjoying it.

I finished the first season a few days ago. Now I'm pumped for the 30th.

Oh sweet -- I'm glad it's back!

I thought Season 1 was very good, but didn't quite elevate to greatness. Sometimes it seemed a little campy. But I'm hoping for even better this season.

Michael C. Hall is an awesome actor.

I've liked what I've seen, although I don't see it as so amazing as others do, it's an interesting conceit for a show, but the character is just so overtly creepy, how could people not suspect him of SOMETHING haha.

I'll probably be checking in on this season as it airs before Brotherhood which is :drool: so good.

powerhour24 said:
I've liked what I've seen, although I don't see it as so amazing as others do, it's an interesting conceit for a show, but the character is just so overtly creepy, how could people not suspect him of SOMETHING haha.

I'll probably be checking in on this season as it airs before Brotherhood which is :drool: so good.

actually people do suspect him, especially now after that opening episode. The finale last season had dokes (black detective guy) being suspicious of dexter. Now he is following him everywhere. His girlfriend suspects something but is staying with him because of the 'good' relationship.

OK good, I've seen the first I think three episodes, but only fully paid attention to the first. I'll add the first season to my que and maybe catch up this season if I like it.

I have never experienced a tv watching conundrum like this, until now. I can't explain it, it's perplexing to me. There is SO much about this show that bugs the ever-loving shit out of me, and yet I can't seem to stop watching it. :huh:

I LOVE the concept, I love Michael C Hall (huge Six Feet Under fan, here), but I could go on all day about the problems with it.

The character Deb just grates on my last nerve. There is no way in hell that someone so immature and flighty would be on the police force to begin with, nevermind promoted. And could they stop hitting me over the head with "oooh, she's hot"?? She isn't! She has these alien eyes, or something, that creep me the hell out, far worse than Dexter and his extra-curricular activities ever do. How many men have we seen practically fall over themselves for her in the series? Ick.

I really liked Julie Benz in Buffy and Angel, but her character is just so one-dimensional on here. And the new NA sponsor? She's just too far over the top to be believable. Sgt. Doakes - wtf was up with his automatic suspicion of Dexter?? Unless I missed something, it was implied that the only reasons for his suspicion of Dexter were that Dexter enjoys his work with blood spatters, - which, hey, it's his job, why shouldn't he enjoy it, and be fascinated with it? - and/or just his general appearance and demeanor. Doakes treatment of Dexter (until the whole NA thing) is akin to harassment, and I don't think anyone in a workplace would put up with that, not even a serial killer!

There are several other things plotwise that I won't get into now that annoy me, too.

As a rule, I'm one of the least critical tv watchers there is, but I almost feel like when I watch this show, I automatically put on my critics cap, and sit there and pick it apart.

And yet, as I said, I can't stop watching it. :scream:

Back
Top Bottom