Another List Thread (Discourse = One Paddlin')

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can never understand why people play "You Give Love A Bad Name" at weddings, or similar such songs.

There's a great quote somewhere from Mr. Matt Berninger about Slow Show. He says something like, "people often tell me that they played Slow Show at their wedding, and I laugh, thinking, 'they must not know that it is about my dick'."

That shit was not only played at my wedding, but it's inscribed in my wedding ring. Not the part about Matt's dick, assuming there's a way to avoid it.

There's a great quote somewhere from Mr. Matt Berninger about Slow Show. He says something like, "people often tell me that they played Slow Show at their wedding, and I laugh, thinking, 'they must not know that it is about my dick'."

Don't break my heart like this. Can we go back to before you ever made this post?

Sorry guys. It's all interpretive, anyways. What it means to you is all that really matters. I too find it a very moving song.

I think he's kind of full of shit, just fucking around, because there obviously IS a line about his dick in it, but to honestly say that's what the whole song is about when it just seems so clearly not to be is kind of odd to me.

He wants to hurry home to his dick? He wants to put on a show for it?

bono_212 said:
I think he's kind of full of shit, just fucking around, because there obviously IS a line about his dick in it, but to honestly say that's what the whole song is about when it just seems so clearly not to be is kind of odd to me.

Yeah, I think you're right. He probably was taking the piss. Now that I think of it, he said that at the first of their concerts that I saw, and he had had quite a few drinks by that point. I personally think that it's about looking for someone who allows one to transcend primal urges like sexuality. In that sense, it is very romantic.

I think it's probably one of the most literal songs ever written, but that's just me. Dude got in a stupid fight with his girl, went to a party, immediately regretted the decision, and just wants to go home and make it better.

And just, since it got brought up, yeah, Travis' wedding ring says, "I Wanna Hurry Home to You." and mine says, "You Suddenly Complete Me." ("Hysteric" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs)

I really enjoy being non-Green Day when they're supposed to be right around the corner :lol: SHOW YOURSELVES, WHERE ARE YOU, BAND.

Sorry, he sounds important, but I have no clue...
Seriously. I'd like to meet them, but for reasons I can't discuss, if Tre Cool and I were to meet, it'd likely spell the end of the universe. If anything, we should meet at CalTech in the physics lab so they can study the phenomena. You know, before the universe collapses.

I am a sad panda Mikeasaur Joe Robot.

The end of Slow Show is pretty unmistakably romantic, sure.

"I dreamed about you for 29 years before I saw you...", etc.

The "I wanna hurry home to you, put on a slow, dumb show for you..." I've always interpreted as very clearly about sex. Berninger comes home to his girl, drunk, and, yeah...

It's possible he hurries home to do something akin to the Jason Segal move at the start of Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

AnCatKatie said:
I really enjoy being non-Green Day when they're supposed to be right around the corner :lol: SHOW YOURSELVES, WHERE ARE YOU, BAND.

Sorry, he sounds important, but I have no clue...

I have no idea how people could...wait...there's a list here

The 'Why the fuck are you playing this at your wedding you idiot' List:

1. U2—One
2. Green Day—Good Riddance...etc

(I think the answer to that would most commonly be "I didn't listen to the lyrics" :|)

3. ive read similarly rem's "the one I love"
4. and I was watching the episode of that thing elvis costello did on whichever channel that was where he talked and played a few tunes with various people, per sting in the police episode we can include "every breath you take" for some ridiculous reason. yes, stalking is so romantic.

3. ive read similarly rem's "the one I love"
4. and I was watching the episode of that thing elvis costello did on whichever channel that was where he talked and played a few tunes with various people, per sting in the police episode we can include "every breath you take" for some ridiculous reason. yes, stalking is so romantic.

:lol: Every Breath You Take is such a stalker song. That would just be creepy.

I am a sad panda Mikeasaur Joe Robot.

That's like...Ian Curtis meets Green-Day-not-Green-Day...meets strange robot animation.

Seriously. There's a Joy Division song that sounds like that.
Joy Division - Twenty Four Hours - YouTube

Ridiculously lovely string of songs this morning while cooking. I didn't have to hit 'next' even once.

1. Northern Sky - Nick Drake
2. Western Hospitality - Club 8
3. Whiskeyclone, Hotel City 1997 - Beck
4. Gila - Beach House
5. Drink Before the War - Sinead O'Connor
6. Living - Moby
7. Human Nature - Michael Jackson
8. I'm Still Your Fag - Broken Social Scene
9. Anonanimal - Andrew Bird
10. Back + Forth - Maps

What exactly is new wave? I mean, first it was a different name for punk, but then it morphed into...weird stuff.

A driving rock pulse on the bass, a reverb-drenched guitar tone, and SYNTHS. Throw in a non-chalant vocalist and you've got most new wave bands. Some bands emphasize one of those elements over the others, but at least three of them have to be there.

new wave is the best genre ever, that's what it is.

Did you end up liking the Network album when I sent it to you, Khan? I forget and forum gnomes ate the PM you may have sent in reply.

Favorite movie soundtracks:

1. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
2. Sid & Nancy - Love Kills
3. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
4. The Dark Knight
5. Chicago
6. Across The Universe

A driving rock pulse on the bass, a reverb-drenched guitar tone, and SYNTHS. Throw in a non-chalant vocalist and you've got most new wave bands. Some bands emphasize one of those elements over the others, but at least three of them have to be there.

*realization hits* I LOVE NEW WAVE

Today's gym ipod songs:
1. Rio--Duran Duran
2. Not a Problem--The Black Lips
3. You Can Make Me Dance, Sing, Anything--The Faces
4. Gagdad--The Soft Pack
5. Soldier On--Oasis
6. Photograph--Ringo Starr
7. What-Cha Fell is What-Cha Get--The Wallace Brothers

Favorite Double Albums:

1. Pink Floyd - The Wall
  2. Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
  3. Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift Yr Skinny Fists...
  4. The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
  5. Prince - Sign O' The Times
  6. The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
  7. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
  8. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
  9. The Clash - London Calling
  10. Bruce Springsteen - The River
  11. The Flaming Lips - Embryonic
  12. The Who - Quadrophenia
  13. Genesis - The Lamb Lies on Broadway
  14. The Cure - KMKMKM
  15. The Who - Tommy

...I think that's pretty close to right at any rate. Those first five are ones I consider to be super duper great fwiw.

I've never heard it :(. Blonde on Blonde's not there either as I've only heard it once and don't remember a damn thing about it. I really need to get around to rectifying that at some point.

Random lyrics I've written down on various papers in my school binder:

1. "There's a little black spot on the sun today"
2. "I don't mind falling in love again, my heart on the line again"
3. "I promise you won't feel a thing"
4. "At the moment of surrender"
5. "Lift my days, light up my nights"
6. "You'll find me in the matinee, the dark of the matinee, it's better in the matinee, the dark of the matinee is mine"
7. "I just want to slide away and come alive again, I will see that love again and find a life again"
8. "Cause I'll be taking all the chances for you, so lay your cuts and bruises over my skin, I promise you won't feel a thing, no, cause everything the world could throw, I'll stand in front, I'll take the blow, for you, for you"
9. "My best friend took a week's vacation to forget her, his girl took a week's worth of Valium and slept, now he's guilt stricken sobbing with his head on the floor, thinks about her now and how he never really wept, he said: I can't be held responsible"
10. "Let me go on, like I blister in the sun"
11. "In the dark of night, those small hours, uncertain and anxious, I need to call you, room full of strangers, some call me friend, but I wish you were so close to me"
12."Gonna take you over"
13. "I am searching"
14. "And it feels so familiar, must have been here before, singing 'I don't want to go, but I don't want to hurt anymore'"
15. "And the stars look very different today"
16. "We'll slide down the surface of things"
17. "The echoes of a life"
18. "Listen to the walls, we share the same spaces, repeated in the corridors, performing the same movements"
19. "Mystify me"
20. "Leave all your love and your loving behind you"
21. "Sometimes you kick, sometimes you get kicked"
22. "And I feel fine!"
23. "Do you feel in me anything redeeming?"
24. "Don't dare me to breathe"
25. "There has to be an invisble sun"
26. "I'm elegantly wasted"
27. "The time is right to kill your fears"
28. "I took the stars from my eyes"
29. "Do you dream that the world will know your name? So tell me your name"

Had a hard time finding this thread for the lack of :evil: smiley. GOD DAMN IT LM.

Anyway. I listened to Space Oddity today because I listened to Streethawk the day before, which reminds me Space Oddity.

Space Oddity
Memory of a Free Festival (love that refrain)
Cygnet Committee
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed
~
Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud
Letter to Hermione (read somewhere this is Ricky Gervais' favourite Bowie song)
~
Janine
An Occasional Dream
God Knows I'm Good

It's a frustratingly unsatisfying album to listen to in my opinion despite a few great tracks.

Watch That Man (one of my favourite hooks, like, ever)
Panic in Detroit
Aladdin Sane
Time
Lady Grinning Soul
Cracked Actor
Drive-In Saturday
~
Jean Genie
The Prettiest Star
Let's Spend The Night Together

Probably my favourite. But I think those last three bring it down. The first seven in my list are all outstanding in my view.

"Heroes"
~
Sons of The Silent Age (savagely underrated. God those verses are incredible to my ears, the smattering of the cymbals, the robotic guitar and Bowie's detached vocals and the chorus is terrific too)
Secret Life of Arabia (second half is fucking amazing. Dirty, dark, funky)
Beauty and the Beast
Joe the Lion
Blackout
V-2 Schneider
~
Neukoln
Moss Garden
Sense of Doubt

I love this album mostly because of that group of six tracks outside of "Heroes". Love them to death. Unfortunately, the instrumentals/ambient pieces bring it down. I'm not averse to that music; I just think Eno did a lot better and I don't feel they work on "Heroes" as well as others do.

Life on Mars?
~
Oh! You Pretty Things
Quicksand
Queen Bitch
The Bewlay Brothers
Eight Line Poem (gorgeous, really underrated)
Song For Bob Dylan
Changes
~
Kooks
Andy Warhol
Fill Your Heart

Another strong contender for my favourite (I've never been able to pick one).

Look Back in Anger
~
Boys Keep Swinging
Fantastic Voyage
DJ
Move On
Red Sails
Red Money
Repetition
~
Yassasin
African Night Flight

Don't even hate this album. I just say I do to piss of Laz. It is however my least favourite. And by quite a distance.

A New Career in a New Town (my all-time favourite Bowie song)
Speed of Life
Always Crashing in the Same Car
Breaking Glass
Subterraneans (incredible)
Sound and Vision
What in the World
~
Be My Wife
Warszawa
Art Decade
Weeping Wall

Another favourite contender. Would easily be my #1 but those last three instrumentals don't do much for me. The drumming on this album is fucking astounding.

Five Years
Ziggy Stardust
Moonage Daydream
Lady Stardust (another one of his classic early 70s hooks. Magic)
Starman
~
Rock 'n' Roll Suicide (overrated)
Suffragette City
Star (really underrated, great coda)
Soul Love
Hang on to Yourself
It Ain't Easy

Yet another contender. Probably his most consistent, even album. I've been infatuated with the story for years and well worth all the plaudits it has received.

Station to Station (third section is what I wish dance music was like today)
Stay
Golden Years
Word on a Wing
Wild is the Wind
TVC15

Another one! They just keep coming. Nothing close to a bad song. I think its detachedness is the reason I don't love it quite as much as I should... but that's the point. Thin White Duke and all that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom