Another album soon?? Songs of Ascent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
id anyone else hear about radiohead?

Ok sorry I wont do that.

SOA is awesome. Does anyone else think that EBW will be first single AND firts track on the album, just to piss us off?

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking... it's annoying when Radiohead (who I like, but don't see as the be-all end-all of music, like many people), who have been following a very similar format for many years now, are seen as the absolutely epitome of "experimentalism". But what do you do? I just listen to U2 and thank God every day that such a band exists. :wink:

You said it just like I would. :up:

dont mention the R word John!!! :doh:

I think the distinction here is that people see their hopes and dreams for the direction of the band, and if it doesn't fall into that tiny box they want, then its populist and unimaginative.

I would like people to use the word imaginative instead of experiemental, because it encapsulates peoples feelings much more succinctly. Experimentalism should just cover breaking new ground, branching away from comfort, not "Original Soundtracks 2". If they made a Folk album it would be experimental, but people wouldn't see it that way.

Imaginative is the word, and NLOTH definately was imaginative, as you say because it is thematically different to anything else they've done. Bono gets the hip-hop cadence going in Breathe, and the 3rd person writing is great. The introduced electronic instruments, but played them themselves, rather than dialling it into the computer.

Yep, NLOTH was definitely a step in the right direction, the absolute right time to make a move into being adventurers.

i like "boots" too. but i think it's a stronger song than "disco" by miles and the video was very cool. "disco" did debut in the US top 10, but it plummeted quickly, and that was a much different world.

the point is that both songs make the casual listener go "WTF?" and many casual listeners don't like either of those songs. i had friends email me to tell me how much they thought "boots" sucked, which is a marked difference from how BD and Vertigo were generally received.

what the "disco" video did was make U2 look like idiots to the general public, and what "boots" has done is make U2 sound like confused old men to the general public.

that's not to say that either perception is right, but it is to say that both of these perceptions are validated by the general reaction to each respective single and the overall performance of their respective albums.

Both videos for Disco and Boots were awesome, especially the former.

is this thread where i can discuss U2's upcoming album titled "Songs Of Ascent"?

It used to be until some people thought it was cool to talk about Radiohead in a U2 discussion area, I sometimes wonder if people do the same about U2 on Radiohead forums ...

is this the forum where we discuss the band U2?

:sigh:

^ snap!

See what you did Dig???

Ok, so we can all agree IR sucks, now, SOA will be mega.

That is my factual, and unbiased opinion :sexywink:

These unconfirmed words make my mouth water. :drool:

fuck experimentation, at the end of the day I like Radiohead because they write interesting music whether it's with electronic beats or a fucking glockenspiel.

In Rainbows rules, and NLOTH is an above average U2 record.

Hopefully SOA will be above above above average, closer to flat out awesome.

Hopefully Bono will learn how to write again (he's proven he can with MOS, WAS and COL). I guess a better way to say it is hopefully he will unlearn how to write disturbing cheese (CT, SUC).

And hopefully Edge doesn't play molten metal, we all know what happens when he tries this...(lame Zepellin riffs)

I wonder which direction Edge is gonna go? :hmm:

Shut the hell up already. NO MORE RADIOHEAD.

I reckon!

Radiohead? Their new album is awesome!

Its not really that new anymore. :wink:

id anyone else hear about radiohead?

Ok sorry I wont do that.

SOA is awesome. Does anyone else think that EBW will be first single AND firts track on the album, just to piss us off?

What a lame sentence to restart the SOA discussion, I thought you were better than this Dan. :down: :D

Someone please make Radiohead a censored word, or taboo.

Do we think that this will be a short album, given we just had one, or will they draw out songs as its meant to be more atmospheric?

For some reason i'm imagining a 10 song album. But i'd like a long one for once, how bad I wanna hear about SOA, but I gotta be patient.

60+ minute album = :drool:

I want some beach clips!!!

Surely those fans at the studio that were apparently close enough to hear someone shout "PLAY THE FUCKING NTOE ADAM" could hear music and therefore could record it!

I have a feeling Bono will give people a chance to record some clips, after all I think he does it on purpose. :D

^ im sure he does. 6 months before the albums release he happens to play not finished clips from his windows at full volume, the exact site where 2 years earlier 5 songs were recorded. All too coincidental. He isn't that dumb.

2 years before THAT even they had clips recorded outside HQ as well

So why not do it a third time, he is a very smart man, that Bono. :bow:

I remember when the beach clips were sent to everyone with all those download threads surprisingly I didn't know what a beach clip was. :cute:

Though he might not have that much time to leak them since they're on tour the whole time ...

EBW has been completed quite a while ago now, and i'm pretty sure the reason U2 left it out was because it didn't fit in the album or something, I remember Bono saying that its something special. :up:

If it leaks early, then people will just talk about how much it is crap and then U2 will never release that album in its form......the internet is sometimes bad for music.

i wonder if "Thank You For The Day" will be on it. i actually hope it is, and i have a good feeling it will be, considering it was on the white board for NLOTH.

i wonder if "Thank You For The Day" will be on it. i actually hope it is, and i have a good feeling it will be, considering it was on the white board for NLOTH.

I would love to hear that song in a completed, clean stage. But wasn't that song, together with all the other songs (except for Window in the Skies) from the 2006 Beach clips completely scrapped? If that song were to be released on Songs of Ascent, wouldn't that mean that Rick Rubin should be credited as a producer as well as Eno and Lanois?

I would love to hear that song in a completed, clean stage. But wasn't that song, together with all the other songs (except for Window in the Skies) from the 2006 Beach clips completely scrapped? If that song were to be released on Songs of Ascent, wouldn't that mean that Rick Rubin should be credited as a producer as well as Eno and Lanois?

Rubin wouldn't be credited because he wasn't a part of the songwriting like Eno and Lanois were. plus, i wouldn't be surprised if it's sounding much different these days.

^ im sure he does. 6 months before the albums release he happens to play not finished clips from his windows at full volume, the exact site where 2 years earlier 5 songs were recorded. All too coincidental. He isn't that dumb.

2 years before THAT even they had clips recorded outside HQ as well

Oh, I've never thought for a second that Bono didn't leak the tracks intentionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom