Annoying Vocal Production

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobH

The Fly
I hate this vocal trick that seems to be used more and more on certain U2 songs these days: Bono will overdub a very pronounced, throaty reading of certain lyrics on top of more melodic singing of the same lyrics. Example: The "You ate all your friends" from "Crumbs From Your Table". Makes it sound weird. Trying to disguise a lack of vocal ability in certain cases?

MrBrau1 said:
The entire song had a double track vocal. I actually think it highlights vocal ability, not disguise a lack.

yep. along with ABOY and Yahweh.

I understand multiple tracking--that's nothing new--it's this particular style I find annoying. Also, I don't think he double vocals on the "You speak of signs and wonders...." part. Sounds more old school there.

I see what you mean. Although I like the wierd sound of the "Crumbs" double vocal, I think it doesn't work as well for ABOY and Yahweh.

I personally think that the double vocal is because Bono's higher voice is getting sort of "thin" if you know what I mean. I feel that if ABOY and Yahweh were a lower key on the album with no double vocals, they'd be much better than they are.

Ton of bands do this in the studio. Makes the vocals sound rich and adds depth. Another reason why U2 live>U2 studio.

Also makes a song more sing-along cause it sounds like its you the singer and another person. just my theory

Double vocal tracks is clearly something Bono's been keen on for a long time.

Listen to 'Take you Down' (wake up dead man) on the salome AB working tapes, they're two completely different vocal tracks, but they work fantastically together.

The only trouble is, the two individual tracks means you can't hear what he's singing properly.

He's obviously been trying to find a compromise since.

Back
Top Bottom