And it is a Milan DVD!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clawgrabber said:
what the heck is "U2 LOVE"? i thought i knew everything about U2, but i haven't heard of this.

isn't it the LoveTown bootleg from the iTunes boxset? how could COBL be on that?

i am confused.

it's the roughly 30-minute video you get if you buy the new U2 ipod. or you can get it from people online like the rest of us...:wink:

monke said:
so, just to make sure i understand, the u218 songe will contain the Cd with the songs, and an optianal, deluxe edition with the millan DVD, and, there will also be a a u218 dvd all on its self, with music videos, am i correct?

yes

the tourist said:
I'd be more excited for something a little older. Maybe an entire Joshua Tree show. Or Lovetown. Or even a full Red Rocks.

Yeah, I wish we'd get some good old stuff, too. Vertigo Tour video is available everywhere---the Chicago DVD, the upcoming Buenos Aires 3-D IMAX, and trillions of fan-cam bootlegs. There's only a finite amount of older stuff out there. I was shocked when a while back, octagon put up a poll to see what people wanted released on u2torrents..and more people were voting for Vertigo shows than 1987 Tempe (which isn't in mass circulation)!!! :huh: I can understand why Vertigo Tour stuff is on this bonus disc---it's current and you may as well sell/advertise your current stuff. But I don't get why people want it over harder-to-find old stuff.

it's called "Love U2" btw

i don't think 10 Milan tracks is better than nothing. they film every single show -- give all of the best, not some of the worst! but really, with the IMAX film coming up, this joke of a dvd sounds pretty scammy to me.

discothequeLP said:
City of Blinding Lights from Milan wasn't that great, with the messed up intro. i wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make the 10 tracks. but i think releasing 10 songs of a show is pretty bollocks anyways. just give us the whole fucking show! i'd just be pissed knowing i can't see the show in its entirety. i mean, we all know that u2 put on great shows. give me the whole damn thing!

I thought I was the only peeved by the fact that The Edge came in early @ the beginning....

thelaj said:
If they want to appeal to casual fans who buy the deluxe for "added value", mirroring the tracklist of the CD seems preferable.

On what planet? I imagine the average consumer would be turned off if the 10 live songs were simply repeats of 10 songs on the CD. I know if any band I casually followed had a DVD bonus with solely repeated songs, I wouldn't bother getting it because I already have the songs on the CD and I'm only a casual fan, so I'm not that fussed about live performances and not listening that closely to spot the small differences between studio and live. I think the casual fan is more likely to buy the bonus if there are some different songs, as they won't feel like they're just getting a repeat of what's on the CD. A few repeats I could understand, especially of Streets, but all repeats would be undesirable for casual and hardcore fans alike.

perrypickwick said:
I thought they won't put out Milan because they had technical problems (you can read that in Willis Tour Diary).

Don't overhype that. The technical problems would in no way stop a Milan DVD as they occurred only at the first of two concerts, and both concerts had exactly the same setlist. U2 tends to use the second night anyway; ZooTV, Popmart, Boston, and Slane are all solely or primarily footage of the second filmed concert at the location.

I wish they'd just slap the extra tracks on a DVD and sell the entire Milan show. Come on, how much harder could it be?

Is there any quality DVD boots of the pro shot Milan floating on the net?

from U2.com: "A limited edition bonus live DVD comes with it... and a DVD's on the way too."

it's curious that they said "a dvd's on the way too" instead of "the dvd's on the way too". which doesn't guarantee that they're talking about milan, although i hope they are.

Axver said:

U2 tends to use the second night anyway; ZooTV, Popmart, Boston, and Slane are all solely or primarily footage of the second filmed concert at the location.

I can't remember: was Sydney second night going to be used anyway or did they have to do that due to Adam's problems?

:hmm: I thought Slane is the one U2 live show where all songs were used from the same night.

Tuwie: I think we are getting the DVD with videos off the singles in the U2:18 and the live DVD with songs off Milan.

:shrug: Yes it's only 10 songs but it beats having nothing from Vertigo stadiums at all. (I don't think that IMAX movie will be made to a DVD)

Last edited:
U2girl said:

I can't remember: was Sydney second night going to be used anyway or did they have to do that due to Adam's problems?

Yes they were always going to use second night as primary footage but first night was to be used as back-up footage. I was at both concerts and the date on Bono's handicam (as shown on big screen) was the 27th November for both concerts.

U2girl said:

:hmm: I thought Slane is the one U2 live show where all songs were used from the same night.

As chocky said, the second Sydney night was always going to be the main ZooTV concert. The first one was required as a rehearsal for the next night as the second night was not only being filmed for video but being broadcast live, and that necessity is why they went ahead with the first concert.

Slane features some camera shots from the first night, I believe. Popmart is the same; every song is from the second night, but I think I read that there are a few camera angles from the first night. Is any of ZooTV Sydney's first night on the ZooTV video, or is it all just the second night?

As a matter of fact, the only U2 video footage to NOT be primarily from a second night is UABRS (well, and maybe Vertigo Chicago, I forget how much is 9th and how much is 10th). Most of RAH is from second night shows in Tempe, Denver, and Fort Worth too, though I believe WOWY is from night one in Tempe and Watchtower is obviously from a one-off show.

Axver said:

As chocky said, the second Sydney night was always going to be the main ZooTV concert. The first one was required as a rehearsal for the next night as the second night was not only being filmed for video but being broadcast live, and that necessity is why they went ahead with the first concert.

Slane features some camera shots from the first night, I believe. Popmart is the same; every song is from the second night, but I think I read that there are a few camera angles from the first night. Is any of ZooTV Sydney's first night on the ZooTV video, or is it all just the second night?

As a matter of fact, the only U2 video footage to NOT be primarily from a second night is UABRS (well, and maybe Vertigo Chicago, I forget how much is 9th and how much is 10th). Most of RAH is from second night shows in Tempe, Denver, and Fort Worth too, though I believe WOWY is from night one in Tempe and Watchtower is obviously from a one-off show.

From somewhere I've read before, I'm sure of it....that there's some angle's from the first night on PopMart...you can probably hardley tell (in a time when U2 had the Mallet (best director of u2 concerts ever!))

Lots of Vertigo Chicago is from mixed nights, the end of Zoo Station, its been a long long time since i've watched it, but I remember Zoo Station Clearly, also some audio is probably mixed from both nights.

As for Zoo TV, well....obviously the PPV version is from the one night, and at least all the Adam angles on the DVD are from the second night :wink:

Why can't we go back to the days where U2 released 1 show, from 1 date!! (or at least made it look that way)

discothequeLP said:

they film every single show

This is somewhat of a farce, yes they film every show, but not in releasable quality. They have a few set angles, and this is for the band and crew to improve on the show.

I've only seen a youtube clip, but doesn't the beginning of COBL in Milan get screwed up? What happened there?

Axver, you clearly didn't read my entire post. I explained quite clearly why I thought mirroring the tracks selection was a good idea. I also agree that it provides less "value" but to me, mirroring the tracks is more logical.

U2girl said:

(I don't think that IMAX movie will be made to a DVD)

I have a feeling that it probably will. Most IMAX movies do get put out on DVD, even the ones about fish and volcanoes, etc. Imagine the outrage here if it didn't come out on dvd..! I think it probably will & was a factor in why Milan isn't coming out as a standalone dvd release.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This is somewhat of a farce, yes they film every show, but not in releasable quality. They have a few set angles, and this is for the band and crew to improve on the show.

from what i know, the Slane Castle shows were never filmed for release. if they can do that show, they can do other ones as well.

also, wasn't there a film crew in Dublin for this tour? can't see how that wouldn't be a great show.

I love that it's coming out in spite of what was said a while back, but I'm disappointed we can't watch the full show from beginning to end rather than 10 selected songs.

Vertigo Milan should have just been a separate DVD, it could have come out the same day as the single disc U218 and then there could have been a limited edition of it with a live CD, or they could have waited to put it out until next year but still I wish we got it all.

"1. The Electric Co.
2. City of Blinding Lights
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. Love and Peace or Else
5. Sunday Bloody Sunday
6. Bullet the Blue Sky
7. Zoo Station
8. The Fly
9. Original of the Species
10.Vertigo"

=

:drool:

But then again:
1. I Will Follow
2. Elevation
3. New Year's Day
4. Beautiful Day
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
6. Pride (In the Name of Love)
7. Where the Streets Have No Name
8. One
9. With or Without You
10.Vertigo

=
:drool: in a little bit more sterotypical way :wink:

Honestly it doesn't matter if the tracklisting on the CD matches the Milan DVD for the casual fans because the DVD is on the deluxe edition which isn't being aimed at the casual fans, it's to get all those of us who have all their music to buy U218 as well.

If it doesn't come with OOTS , I won't buy it , only for the protest

discothequeLP said:

from what i know, the Slane Castle shows were never filmed for release. if they can do that show, they can do other ones as well.

also, wasn't there a film crew in Dublin for this tour? can't see how that wouldn't be a great show.

Not true, it was filmed to at a minimum be broadcast on TV with a possible DVD release if they liked the way it turned out. They didnt bring Dreamchaser into the production for archive purposes only. They had the extra cameras, production, they planned to use it and obviously did. Milan is the same thing, they at least planned to use it and I think they still will.

U2 archives every show on audio and most on DVD/video. But the archive video footage is not suitable for any type of official release. Now the audio, all of that could be if they wanted. :drool: Unfortunately would never happen.

Last edited:
Axver said:

It was played with an orchestra.

Not only this
200520-20Vertigo20Tour2F2005-07--1.jpg

But also this .......... :drool:

200520-20Vertigo20Tour2F2005-07-202.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom