American Idol 5 Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
here's what I read :sad:

JUDGES ON ELLIOTT

RANDY: I don't believe this was the perfect song, but you can definitely sing. You do a good job no matter what it is.

Paula: agree with Randy, but nobody can sing a song like that, but you riff all over, very soulful, you're a funky white boy.

Simon: Elliott: your songs are not going to carry you through to next week, however, you are a great guy, a great singer, and whatever happens you will make your mom very happy ...

I sat through this whole show tonight bored out of my head. I thought every song Clive Davis picked came off awful and what was up with Katehrine talking back to the judges? She pisses me off-GET UP OFF THE FLOOR!!!!
Anyways I thought after last week Eliot and Kat would come out fighting but they almost made me feel like the just gave up. Eliot was so boring and yes SWOTR was good for Kat but the other two were awful, she needs to stop high school spring musical singing.
Taylor was also ok-not great. All in all a lame night.

I'm just watching on tape now, just through the Clive songs...thought the band truly sucked on Dancing in the Dark, but Taylor was pretty good! Katherine oversang AGAIN, and Elliot was just OK (and I am rooting for Elliot)..

This whole night reminded me of the huge mistake America made in voting out Chris.

The show was boring as hell. :yawn:

It also ruined any possibility of a competitive final. Taylor will win it by a landslide. Not because he is very talented, but because of lack of competition. Chris would have given him a run, though.

In terms of today's performances:

Elliott: :yawn: his songs were way too boring. Paula did not help him by picking an impossibly dated and boring song. And he did not help himself with that Ray Charles song.

Kat: I did not like the R. Kelly song. But I do not like the original so I am no reference. His second song was great, but convinced me that she needs to be on a musical, and not on a concert. Last song was meh.

Taylor: first song was easy for him. That Joe Cocker song was neverending, impossibly boring and he was clearly overpimped for it. Last song was the best.

Next week it will be an easy win for Taylor. It does not make me happy but, oh well, you cannot always win. :shrug:

I like Elliott, but the song choices might not have been strong enough to carry him to the finale (and I voted for him, alot). I didn't care for Taylor's version of Dancing in the Dark - was just meh for me. His second performance was better, and his final song - nailed it for the finale, IMO. I think he wins no matter who he competes with. Kat's songs were meh :huh: but she really "had a moment" and nailed SOTR.

I do like all 4, I mean 3 final contestants (damn America voting Chris out!). I'm sure I'll be online tomorrow night watching the spoilers. I can't wait til 9 or whatever time they will air tomorrow night.
BL063.gif

I voted several times for Elliott, I thought it was so unfair for Simon to say that- it affects the voting :down: I figured Taylor was a shoo in and I want Kat out :evil: That R Kelly song she did was AWFUL. I like her voice and I'll say for the umpteenth time that she's beautiful-but she is not consistent at all and her faces at the judges' critiques really bug me. I don't think she handles criticism well.

I think it's obvious now that Chris was the superior singer, well it is for me and it pretty much was all along.

Taylor is great, even though he goes so over the top he can sing and he has charisma and a unique appeal. Unfair of Simon to say he pales in comparison to Bruce, everyone does :wink: I can only imagine the fans on the Bruce web sites flipping out over it :rolleyes:

Taylor doing the Springsteen tune was one of the hottest things I've ever seen. :drool: :heart:

It was so nice to have a show without Chris! :happy:

From DialIdol - looks like the voting was close:

DialIdol
Rank Idol DialIdol Score Margin Of Error Actual Rank
1-2 Taylor Hicks 31.638 1.512 -
1-3 Katharine McPhee 28.759 1.544 -
2-3 Elliott Yamin 28.286 1.549

I just can't see Taylor being "An American Idol"...based on previous winners, Taylor is just too goofy. But I do enjoy watching/listening to him perform

when Simon Cowell was on Leno Monday night, he said they were truly surprised when Chris was voted off. He thought Chris was going to win... And he said Taylor is the favorite (as of Monday night) and that Kat should have a great night if she did well on the song he chose for her, and that Elliott is a very nice guy & has a great voice (I think that's what he said)

I'll watch last night's show when I get home tonight, but I'm not too excited about the final 3.

I get this sinking feeling that Taylor's going to win, and the more I look at him, the more I'm filled with annoyance. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.

Take your "soul patrol!WHOO! soul patrol! soul patrol! WHOO!" and cram it, Hicks.

corianderstem said:
I'll watch last night's show when I get home tonight, but I'm not too excited about the final 3.

I get this sinking feeling that Taylor's going to win, and the more I look at him, the more I'm filled with annoyance. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.

Take your "soul patrol!WHOO! soul patrol! soul patrol! WHOO!" and cram it, Hicks.

I couldn't have said it any better than you just did. He just comes off as someone who is trying so hard to be cool and he's not and I just can't believe he's going to win this thing.

:huh:

I know! And the thing is, he's really talented and has a great voice. If only he could be less annoying. Oh well.

If Elliott gets booted tonight, I'm going to root as hard as I can for Katharine. Even if that means I have to actually vote. :wink:

The Final Three Sing Three Songs Each-Or As Chris Daughtry Would Put It: &%#@! American %$!& Idol

Clive Davis’ Picks

Elliott (Open Arms)-I’ve never been a fan of Journey’s though I will give respect to Steve Perry’s awesome voice. I thought vocally that Elliott was strong throughout this song, but Simon was right. He does need to loosen up. Where was the Elliott of last week? Are nerves getting to him?

Kat (I Believe I Can Fly)-Okay, at least she wasn’t singing, “Trapped in the Closet.” Due to my R. Kelly hate, I was prepared to despise Kat’s performance. I didn’t think it was too bad, but she got way too screechy at the end. I think she’s so much better when she’s subtle, but according to today’s music, glory notes and melisma are where it’s at. And it sucks. I did giggle when she claimed, “I didn’t pick it.” I didn’t see it so much as bitchiness as frustration.

Taylor (Dancing in the Dark)-Perfection. I love him so much. Original recipe Taylor was having fun so I was having fun. It was a bit cheesy when he did the gun holster thing. I adored the high energy and his vocals were top notch. The only thing that would have made it better is if Taylor danced with me instead of Paula.

Judges’ Picks

Elliott (What You Won’t Do For Love)-A wonderfully smooth and romantic R & B song that is perfect for Elliott’s voice. Elliott seemed a bit more at ease than he did with his first song. Old school R & B is what Elliott should be singing.

Kat (Somewhere Over the Rainbow)-Lovely acapella introduction. Kat finally showed some subtlety (except for the glory note at the end). I thought she did a splendid job, but do not smile a pageant smile. This song requires some wistfulness. And I was touched when I saw McPhather McPhee puddling up.

Taylor (You Are So Beautiful)-Early in the competition, when Taylor seemed to be all spazziness, woohs, and “Soul Patrol”, I had an inkling that there was a more tender, introspective, and vulnerable side to him. This performance proved me right. I was so unbelievably touched.

Contestants’ Picks

Elliott (I Believe to My Soul)-Far better than his first performance. Looked more comfortable on stage. I didn’t like Simon’s “your mom is going to be proud of you.” So condescending.

Kat (I Ain’t Got Nothin’ But the Blues)-First off. I want her boots!!!!! She showed a theatrical side that I like, but I don’t think she should smile throughout a song about having nothin’ but the blues. Sadly, she’s a product of Stage Mom McPhee.

Taylor (Try A Little Tenderness)-I was so hoping Taylor would sing this song. Paula may have waited the whole season for Taylor to sing this song, but I’ve waited my whole life (yes, I know I haven’t known Taylor my whole life. Shut Up). Other than a weird spazzing out at the end, I was electrified by his performance.

I’ve always watched AI as a fun time waster and guilty pleasure, but this season I am completely emotionally invested in this show and it scares the hell out of me. I might even seek therapy once the show is over. Snerk.

I truly like all of the remaining contestants. I think they are very talented and I’ve enjoyed many of their performances. I also like them as people. I have to keep reminding myself that these are human beings up there with the same frailties, foibles, and insecurities that many of us have. Yet, we don’t have the media glare and huge spotlight on us every single day. Yes, I’m sure Taylor, Elliott, and Kat had some inkling what they were getting into, but once you’re in it, it must be very intense and mind-blowing. I can’t even fathom it.

I’ve never gotten an entitled Princess vibe from Kat. I see her as slightly neurotic young woman with some self-esteem issues who is trying to find herself after being coached by Mama McPhee for so many years. Then there is sweet Elliott who a year ago was a shy, directionless young man with a host of health problems whose family had little idea that he could sing. And Taylor…yes, I can understand why some people might find him shouting “Soul Patrol” can be irritating to some people, but I think he’s just very grateful for the support. This was a guy who was thinking of packing it in until his brother encouraged him to try out for AI. Yes, AI can be cheesy, but I’m glad that it introduced me to Taylor.

I want all of them to do well in their careers. They may end up being more niche artists, but considering that Clear Channel sludge that makes the pop charts top 40, this might not be such a bad thing

I will be happy (now that Chris is gone who was my fave-but anyway) with either Taylor or Elliott winning. Katherine-save the drama for your mama--give me a friggin' break--Over the Rainbow--that's as old as my grandmother.

Very well said, as always Golightly Grrl :applaud:

I was telling my daughter last night that I do like all 3 finalists. The thing is, they all have their own style/niche, and depending on what style of music you like, you may lean more to that contestant. They each have weaknesses and strengths, and now it's just a matter of personal opinion. They all seem genuine, real and good people, as far as I can tell. But for whoever goes home tonight, it will be very sad. I'll be a mess :crazy: and of course cheating, reading the AI site for the spoiler. :shifty: :reject:

Last edited:
Have you learned nothing from the Clay phenomenon? All those fans rabidly voting for Taylor will likely buy at least one of his CDs, maybe more to hand out to other people. You know, to convert them. :wink:

I could be wrong and am misjudging Taylor's fans. But he'll sell buttloads of CDs whether or not he wins, I bet.

Golightly Grrl said:
I’ve always watched AI as a fun time waster and guilty pleasure, but this season I am completely emotionally invested in this show and it scares the hell out of me. I might even seek therapy once the show is over. Snerk..........................................

Even with all of its quirks, it's been fun watching this season's shows (& then picking it apart here!! :evil: ). This is a good thread - for a guilty pleasure. Is anybody watching anything that we can continue on with after next week? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom