All U2 iTunes Digital Box set Discussion 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaizari said:
commercially available to everyone? I think not....

Whatever helps you sleep at night...

According to this thread, posted by the board admin:

http://forum.interference.com/t103843.html

Elvis posted:
The moderators at Interference.com would like to remind you that the trading of any commercially released song is strictly against the rules. This also is also true for any song of which an artist has not authotized it's reproduction/distribution.

Universal Publishing is starting to make the rounds on fan sites.... and is looking for reasons to shut the sites, or parts of them down. This is why there is no longer a U2 Lyrics Archive and U2 Guitar Archive.

Our opinions of whether or not this is okay have nothing to do with this; this is strictly a legal matter. Therefore, we cannot allow people to use the forums as grounds to trade commercially released songs, and/or anything that imposes on the copyright of an artist's material.
What you do in private, via PM or email, we have no control over, however we can't have 'active links' to copyrighted music, compositions, etc.
Thanks,

Joel

Lancemc posted immediately after that:
does this include the requests for mp3 files and such in the mp3 section of the site, or is that not allowed too?

KhanadaRhodes followed up to that with:
yes, you cannot request a commercial release in mp3 format. concerts and bootlegs, this is fine. but to request anything that's commercially available (whether it's in print or not) isn't allowed. sorry!
I just pass this on as an "FYI." It's not my forum, but I do like the site and would hate for it to be shut down because people choose to ignore the posted forum guidelines. The big faceless lawyers don't care how loyal the fanbase is, they are only looking out to "protect" their client (U2).

Joel later in the thread mentions some difference between requesting a link and requesting the file itself. I'm not sure what difference there is but it may be a grey area. It doesn't get around the theft issue, but might be something to investigate to at least reduct the site's liability for other people's theft.

yeah, it is wrong to steal, and downloading these songs is illegal, but we are a lot of people here that don't even have the opportunity to do so because iTunes isn't available in our countries. I'll bye the Unreleased & Rare from iTunes when they become available. Don't believe there is anyone in this forum who would like to deny U2 what is legally theirs, but not being able to bye these song are just torture.

Last edited:
No1 here is purposely denying ppl the gift of the arts.

But those who can't wait & must download right now even though it's not rolled out yet in their land, have more serious self control problems.

Just for that, I would deny them...for I wonder what else they would do to feed their other hungers...steal, kill?

Sorry just my morals.

btw, ppl who enjoy posting their personal emails esp school or work emails, be prepare for the spam bots to sweep you up...:lol:

Last edited:
what is commercial? anything that can be sold in availability thru appropiate channels, this is not some lame excuse to steal. our intention is not deprive revenue, in fact we will recognise revenue where possible, in this case not possible and when the channel is available we'll be there to give due revenue.

Ur presumptious attitude and perception towards us is misplaced though well intentioned. One person's interpretation is not the same as another, thats just perceptual bias.

I have not posted a yousenditlink on one thread, all communication is private.

Folkelig said:
Don't believe there is anyone in this forum who would like to deny U2 what is legally theirs, but not being able to bye these song are just torture.

Don't believe that there isn't anyone denying them what is legally theirs. Didja notice that of the 50+ pages this thread has evolved into, I'd guess about half are no longer about the actual materials in the box, but rather how to obtain it. Many of those people (check their location under their name) are people who are fully capable of downloading the tracks they want, they'd just rather not pay for them. Or whatever excuse they have (see my previous post on THAT topic).

I feel bad for all those countries that don't have iTunes. Maybe now they know how I feel for having to shell out 5-20 dollars more for an import CD since for some reason US record labels don't fancy the single as much as the UK/Australia/Japan ones do. I'm not saying that makes the lack of an iTunes store ok, just pointing out that things have been seperate and unequal for a while when it comes to multinational music distribution, particularly with bands like U2 who have a rabid cult following.

Btw, people are aware that Apple Store AAC tracks have no DRM limits on the number of iPods they can be loaded onto, right? They can't be played in iTunes, but they can transferred to the iPod and listened to on there as the store-bought AAC file instead of doing the AAC-->AIFF/WAV--->MP3 conversion. (That's a lossy copy of a lossy copy.)

Just FYI.

i'm in canada, and i feel your pain. we have no itunes store (yet), and universal messed up our shipments, so we don't yet have the dvd or the collectors edition. frustrating, but what can you do?

that being said, do you guys not see the difference between sharing the album leak (which no one paid for, but was spread around these parts with the knowledge that most of us were gonna go buy it the second we could), and these tunes, which people have invested at least $100 of their hard earned cash to purchase?

i was happy making do with gorman's stream--at least i had the chance to hear them, but now that's gone too.

calm down, guys. this isn't worth getting so freaked out over.

I have the money to buy box set in australia. like HTDAAB a matter of availability...

ur right dandy, no need to blow this issue up. I suppose I view differently as a matter of inevitability. if I dont get it thru box set, it might come out on singles, if not I'll get the box set. either way, my hard earned money will go to U2.

Shaizari said:
what is commercial? anything that can be sold in availability thru appropiate channels, this is not some lame excuse to steal. our intention is not deprive revenue, in fact we will recognise revenue where possible, in this case not possible and when the channel is available we'll be there to give due revenue.

Ur presumptious attitude and perception towards us is misplaced though well intentioned. One person's interpretation is not the same as another, thats just perceptual bias.

I have not posted a yousenditlink on one thread, all communication is private.

See, it's the "when the channel is available" part that's the problem. The arrogance implied in that is, "How dare the band keep their music from me? I want it, it must be mine, even if I get it without paying!" Spin it any way you want, but getting anything from the box for storage on your local hard drive is stealing. I'd enjoy reading how I'm being presumptuous. Was there some hidden communique amongst the other ones posting here discussing your higher purpose? I guess I'm not clear on what is being misinterpreted... the people getting the files from the U.S. are... what? I can't even come up with another excuse. The people overseas (Australia, South America, etc) got the shaft from the band for the time being. U2 chose to sell this in a way where not everyone can get it. I don't see how that suddenly makes those people the "chosen ones" who can get them for free via P2P or the forums. If somewhere on U2.com there's a new article about how people who don't have access to itunes can get them free from those who do, please let me know.

Again, this issue is really more for those who are from places that have iTunes access and just don't feel like dishing out the money. I do see a something of a difference for those on the outside looking in. I do. But just like some of those people who downloaded HTDAAB early who swore they were going to pay for it, there were the silent ones who weren't swearing that, who didn't pay for it. I see the same situation developing here.

And, again, if i were the band i'd think real hard about distributing concerts online after seeing some of the behavior on here (and elsewhere). I think people are nuts if they're hoping for them to release the shows in a non-DRM'ed format, as even the DRMed stuff is being spread like crazy.

Last edited:
Some really good points by jmelrose... I actually just deleted the files from my pc without listening to them. Mainly cos I can't really justify to myself why I should anymore, and fuck, I can wait.
This is ridiculous, really. What am I, five?? ;) There's plenty of new stuff to listen to right now anyway....

Last edited:
U2 and their record company aren't stupid. They must know that for fans who already have 99% of the stuff on there, they'll just d/load the unlreased tracks.

I just don't understand the decision not to let you buy the rare tracks only. That stinks of money grabbing, trying to force your hand into forking out £120 for the whole set.

Hi, will one of you nice people please e-mail or tell me where I can find the 9 or 10 new songs (or new versions of songs) from the box set. I think it's a little hippocritical to find these new songs so difficult to get ahold of when not two weeks ago the new album was flying around this site without a care in the world. Anyway thanks much to whomever eventually sends them to me and to those of you who have a problem with it ... shut up

atomicelvis@comcast.net

Last edited:
atomicelvis said:
Anyway thanks much to whomever eventually sends them to me and to those of you who have a problem with it ... shut up

LOL. No.

Yea, I need to obey a guy stealing from four of the coolest guys in the world. Gimme a break. See, the major difference between getting the album ahead of time and the box set is the box set is available for purchase now (for those so blessed) where the album downloaders prefaced every request with "I'm going to buy it" or "It's on order," and on this site I generally believe that. So the people asking, particular those from countries with itunes music store access, are just cheap-ass thieves.

And to those of you (and one person in particular) with a problem with that... shut up.

And have a nice day.

Last edited:
jmelrose said:

LOL. No.

Yea, I need to obey a guy stealing from four of the coolest guys in the world. Gimme a break. See, the major difference between getting the album ahead of time and the box set is the box set is available for purchase now (for those so blessed) where the album downloaders prefaced every request with "I'm going to buy it" or "It's on order," and on this site I generally believe that. So the people asking, particular those from countries with itunes music store access, are just cheap-ass thieves.

And to those of you (and one person in particular) with a problem with that... shut up.

And have a nice day.

wow, what a poet you are.....:eyebrow:

alexvilagosh said:
There are lots of us who DON'T have iTunes available too, you know.

That's been pretty well covered prior to this.

I am enjoying the satisfaction that no one has been able to justify taking the music, so if nothing else I feel the point has been made. There's no arguement here, just people tired of being reminded of how what you're doing most directly impacts the band we all claim to love here on the board. Clearly, stealing from the guys says more about your fandom than you probably realize, and that's your call to make. I mean, if you want to make a real statement mail the guys a check at Principal Management with the going iTunes rate (or whatever you think the tracks are worth) included, along with a letter stating you wished to pay for them somehow, and since they've made it difficult to do so legitimately, this is the best you could come up with. If nothing else they'll notice ya. Downloading behind their backs certainly won't accomplish anything but discourage them from issuing further releases.

By the way, to the "what a poet" guy... my blunt comment was a quote from someone several posts prior. i'm fairly literate, although not a poet. I am, however, a better writer than to warrant sarcasm. Besides, I PAY Bono for his poetry since I don't write it myself. Then he puts it to pretty notes and makes my day better.

And, again, have a nice day.
In May.

jmelrose said:

That's been pretty well covered prior to this.

I am enjoying the satisfaction that no one has been able to justify taking the music, so if nothing else I feel the point has been made. There's no arguement here, just people tired of being reminded of how what you're doing most directly impacts the band we all claim to love here on the board. Clearly, stealing from the guys says more about your fandom than you probably realize, and that's your call to make. I mean, if you want to make a real statement mail the guys a check at Principal Management with the going iTunes rate (or whatever you think the tracks are worth) included, along with a letter stating you wished to pay for them somehow, and since they've made it difficult to do so legitimately, this is the best you could come up with. If nothing else they'll notice ya. Downloading behind their backs certainly won't accomplish anything but discourage them from issuing further releases.

By the way, to the "what a poet" guy... my blunt comment was a quote from someone several posts prior. i'm fairly literate, although not a poet. I am, however, a better writer than to warrant sarcasm. Besides, I PAY Bono for his poetry since I don't write it myself. Then he puts it to pretty notes and makes my day better.

And, again, have a nice day.
In May.

should I pull on the stick or do you want to take it out of your ass?

oh...so to you its "blunt" not sarcasm........ohhhhhhh. Sorry! I'm truly sorry. To me a slap in the face is a....slap in the face. Maybe I misunderstood you. My HUGE apology again, I hope you will accept.

And as for justifying "STEALING" from the band, and "PAYING FOR THEIR POETRY" First of all, let me congratulate you on being a model citizen. You must also make complete stops at stop signs and recycle huh?

You have some nerve to accuse people of stealing like you caught them red handed. You have no idea what any of us has bought or hasn't, or what some of us has spent on this band of the years and years. Over priced tour items, concert tickets, videos, DVD's, Books etc. Don't give me this bullshit guilt laden post about morals and downloading. Save your breath or maybe go use it on something valuable like Africa or Abortion. Just 'cause some people want a listen before they DECIDE if its WORTH IT to spend $150 bucks (which where I come from is whole days work pay) doesn't make me a thief jackass. Is that poetic enough?

And yes, I will have a nice day thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom