All those little questions that have been bugging you...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elevated_u2_fan said:
If it's what I think you are talking about then I think that’s more a PLEBA thing than a U2 thing...

In the Slane DVD a fan throws a beach ball on stage and Bono says "Oh look Edge, a beach ball"

:|

True story.

:wink:
bonobeachballslanekx7.gif

The Intellectual Tortoise thing is just a metaphor/contrast/oxymoron/whatever you care to call it. People here in Ireland understand and get it instantly, I dunno maybe we Irish just see some sayings and phrases differently

Galeongirl said:

:ohmy: Wow, one of my LiveJournal icons is actually getting around.

That's kind of bizarre, given my craptastic skills.

I think I know about the -s thing at the end of the words, it is not necessary a grammar mistake, the -t and -s sounds are both pronounced at the same point in the mouth (upper teeth and the apex of the tongue), both consonants are soundless (no vibration on your vocal chords), the only difference is that with the -t you close the passage of the air by putting the tongue in contact with the teeth and then release it and with the -s you leave a little espace through which the air frictions, if you want to enlarge the pronounciation of the -t for singing it quickly turns to sound like -s, especially when registered through a microphone or if your front teeth are separated.
(Sorry for such a long explanation, I don't know any other way to describe it)

Question: What is it that people like about the Elevation Tour? I think it's by far their worst tour. I mean not even close to any other one.

Can't really put my finger on why. I guess I just liked the whole atmosphere of it. Bono seemed to have more energy than he did on the Vertigo tour. Plus I liked ATYCLB way more than HTDAAB, so the regular setlists were better IMO. The regularly played ATYCLB songs were WAY better than the regularly played Atomic Bomb songs for me.

The thing I really liked about the Vertigo tour was the fact that they pulled out a bunch of songs they dont usually play.

shart1780 said:
Can't really put my finger on why. I guess I just liked the whole atmosphere of it. Bono seemed to have more energy than he did on the Vertigo tour. Plus I liked ATYCLB way more than HTDAAB, so the regular setlists were better IMO. The regularly played ATYCLB songs were WAY better than the regularly played Atomic Bomb songs for me.

The thing I really liked about the Vertigo tour was the fact that they pulled out a bunch of songs they dont usually play.

That's the argument, "the atmosphere," "the energy," "the emotion" that I always hear. But I just think the performances were crap. Vertigo was better in setlist and performance, by far. Performances in all prior tours were much better too.

The only song that had its best version on Elevation was Gone. That's it.

But the crowd was soooooooooooooooooooooo good. Fuck that, if the songs don't sound good, then the concert isn't good.

I don't listen to shows/watch pro-shots to see what Sally in the front row thinks, I want to see the band rock. The Elevation tour was probably their weakest in that regard.

Zooropean103 said:
There's one thing I've been always puzzling about. Why Bono in OOTS sings: "I give you everything you wantssSSS, except the thing that you wantsSsSs". Despite the totally stupid meaning (yeah I get the sense, but it still sounds dumb lol) aren't these lines gramitically incorrect? Why these s's? Or maybe I'm just wrong? Cause obviously not hearing things!

I think he does a sort of similar thing on the Elevation DVD during WTSHNN. Every time he sings the word "streets" in the chorus, it sounds like "schtreets" or the beginning of "shush" and then "treats" combined. It's very annoying to me. I'm so glad he dropped that schtreets SCHTICK for the Vertigo version.

phillyfan26 said:
Question: What is it that people like about the Elevation Tour? I think it's by far their worst tour. I mean not even close to any other one.

The Good:

Fairly varied setlists by U2 standards
Killer version of the Fly
No HTDAAB stuff (well, duh !)
Better song selection than Vertigo
Some Pop material was played
No silly beads blocking the view from the back
The house-lights-on opener
The heart crowd separation idea was still original

The Bad:

Not enough from Pop
Stuck in a moment
Didn't play WILATW

Not their greatest tour, not their worst (Vertigo all the way on that one)

Scorpionac said:
Didn't play WILATW? It's like Zooropa for simpletons. =|

Well, it WAS the ATYCLB tour we were talking about........

If you're using that logic better throw in "didn't play Acrobat, Drowning Man or Homecoming"

toscano said:
The Good:

Fairly varied setlists by U2 standards
Killer version of the Fly
No HTDAAB stuff (well, duh !)
Better song selection than Vertigo
Some Pop material was played
No silly beads blocking the view from the back
The house-lights-on opener
The heart crowd separation idea was still original

1. All of those arguments seem to compare it to the Vertigo Tour, which doesn't convince me at all that it isn't their worst tour.
2. The Vertigo tour had a more varied setlist and better song selection.
3. THE KEY, which you missed on all those points - the performances from every other tour were way better. None of your points address that.

Rankings:

1. ZooTV Tour
2. Lovetown Tour
T-3. Vertigo Tour
T-3. Joshua Tree Tour
5. PopMart Tour
T-6. Unforgettable Fire Tour
T-6. War Tour
8. October Tour
9. Boy Tour
10. Elevation Tour

Also, The Fly on Elevation sucks compared to Zoo TV and Vertigo because Edge's guitar tone sounds like crap and is in a key that doesn't work.

phillyfan26 said:

1. All of those arguments seem to compare it to the Vertigo Tour, which doesn't convince me at all that it isn't their worst tour.
2. The Vertigo tour had a more varied setlist and better song selection.
3. THE KEY, which you missed on all those points - the performances from every other tour were way better. None of your points address that.

Rankings:

1. ZooTV Tour
2. Lovetown Tour
T-3. Vertigo Tour
T-3. Joshua Tree Tour
5. PopMart Tour
T-6. Unforgettable Fire Tour
T-6. War Tour
8. October Tour
9. Boy Tour
10. Elevation Tour

Also, The Fly on Elevation sucks compared to Zoo TV and Vertigo because Edge's guitar tone sounds like crap and is in a key that doesn't work.

Of the shows I saw, a few early and a few late on each tour, ATYCLB had more varied setlists than Vertigo.

I don't need to convince you of anything, I was pointing things I thought contributed to it not being the worst tour (that 'honor' goes to Vertigo hands down for me)

As for the KEY, the performances were NOT way better on every other tour.

Since only a finite number of songs are consistently played on multiple tours, let's review:

Fly and Streets were a LOT better on Elevation than on Vertigo
Pride, One, BTBS were better on Elevation than Vertigo
I Will Follow was better than on Pop

In terms of tour rankings, and I don't count Lovetown as I wasn't there but was there on the rest:

JT
Zoo
Pop
UF
Elevation
War
Oct
Boy
Vertigo

Zooropean103 said:
There's one thing I've been always puzzling about. Why Bono in OOTS sings: "I give you everything you wantssSSS, except the thing that you wantsSsSs".

I can't believe I'm the first to suggest this as an answer, but ...

... Bono is Gollum?

:wink:

I'll give you one reason why the Elevation tour was good. Post 9/11 concerts. The catharsis, the release of emotion from the entire building was palpable. All those clichés about U2 concerts being a religious experience were validated for me in the first post 9/11 show I saw. I can't even imagine what it must've been like at the NYC shows.

toscano said:
As for the KEY, the performances were NOT way better on every other tour.

Since only a finite number of songs are consistently played on multiple tours, let's review:

Fly and Streets were a LOT better on Elevation than on Vertigo
Pride, One, BTBS were better on Elevation than Vertigo
I Will Follow was better than on Pop

Better on Vertigo than Elevation: I Will Follow, Out of Control, New Year's Day, Bad, With or Without You, Desire, Angel of Harlem, All I Want is You, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Until the End of the World, Discotheque, Elevation, Beautiful Day, Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Kite, In a Little While

Diemen said:
I'll give you one reason why the Elevation tour was good. Post 9/11 concerts. The catharsis, the release of emotion from the entire building was palpable. All those clichés about U2 concerts being a religious experience were validated for me in the first post 9/11 show I saw. I can't even imagine what it must've been like at the NYC shows.

The only part of the tour I liked was the third leg. Those performances of Walk On were absolutely fantastic.

phillyfan26 said:

Better on Vertigo than Elevation: I Will Follow, Out of Control, New Year's Day, Bad, With or Without You, Desire, Angel of Harlem, All I Want is You, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Until the End of the World, Discotheque, Elevation, Beautiful Day, Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Kite, In a Little While

To name a few.

Also, City of Blinding Lights is a better opener than Elevation could wish to be. Vertigo is amazing live. Sometimes was hit or miss - hit the nights i saw it. Love and Peace, holy shit. Can't criticise the tour for current song performances.

Especially because the ATYCLB material played on Vertigo was so much better.

And Vertigo wins because of The Electric Co, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, The Ocean, Gloria, Miss Sarajevo, Zoo Station, Kite, One Tree Hill, The First Time, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses...there's more that escape my memory now. Elevation couldn't have dreamed of as much variety. The lack of Pop/Zooropa was the only drawback.

LemonMacPhisto said:
But the crowd was soooooooooooooooooooooo good. Fuck that, if the songs don't sound good, then the concert isn't good.

I don't listen to shows/watch pro-shots to see what Sally in the front row thinks, I want to see the band rock. The Elevation tour was probably their weakest in that regard.

Your mom is the weakest in that regard!

Back
Top Bottom