All (RED) Zone / VIP Tickets Discussion HERE Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was definitely some big time scalping going on too. Someone in my RZ1 (RoseBowl) said they had bought tickets from a third party (a ticket company not TicketMaster) and that they had met them at will call and picked up the tickets from them after they picked them up there. They didn't tell me what they paid, but they said it was um... a LOT more than my bid (which was a little over minimum)

Re the RZ 2 barely being above the opening bid, it's my understanding that all the bidders for RZ 1 that don't get the tickets automatically slide into the other area as long as their bid is above the minimum.

Therefore, say for evaluation sake, that the backstage tour bid goes for a min of $1300. (That's what it did in Toronto in Sept). All those that bid between the min of $130 and $1295 would automatically be given the other zone at their bid price. If there were more than 300 of them, then anyone expecting to get the cheaper zone for $130 is snookered at the end without even being given an opportunity to re-bid by the system. You are just told that you were not successful.

I did a quick, unscientific survey of those around me at Toronto Night 1 in the non-backstage tour RZ area and everyone paid well over $500.

I'm sure the TM system takes into account how many 'non-winning' bidders there will be for the Backstage Tour, and subtracts that from the number of available "ticket only" packages.

No matter which auction you bid in, you always know if "you currently have a winning bid." The only time you would get 'sniped' would be if you were outbid by enough people such that you were now #301 - this would have to happen at the very last minute, or you would be notified that "you no longer have a winning bid." And yes, this did happen to people.

The lower bids get RZ2, those higher than the closing bid usually end up with RZ 1.

This is based on my purchases (8 Red Zone shows, and they were all allocated like that) i.e, shows where I bid +/- $5 of the closing amount, I always got RZ2, whereas shows where I put in an early bid that wound up being $50 or so more than the winning bid, I got RZ1

At the Rose Bowl, I know a number of people who paid the minimum closing bid and ended up in RZ1. I paid $40-$50 over the minimum winning amount (can't remember exactly) and was in RZ2 (which loved, BTW), and I know people who have had similar experiences in other cities. I wonder if your RZ allocations just happened to have worked out that way?

At the Rose Bowl, I know a number of people who paid the minimum closing bid and ended up in RZ1. I paid $40-$50 over the minimum winning amount (can't remember exactly) and was in RZ2 (which loved, BTW), and I know people who have had similar experiences in other cities. I wonder if your RZ allocations just happened to have worked out that way?

Broker, I was just going to post this - I was also in RZ2 at the Rose Bowl, and I paid $30-40 over the minimum, I think. The people around me seemed to have paid even more than that. I don't think it really has anything to do with how much was paid. I love RZ2 also! How amazing was Crazy Tonight right in front of us?? :drool:

No control over what side you get...and some tips.

The lower bids get RZ2, those higher than the closing bid usually end up with RZ 1.

This is based on my purchases (8 Red Zone shows, and they were all allocated like that) i.e, shows where I bid +/- $5 of the closing amount, I always got RZ2, whereas shows where I put in an early bid that wound up being $50 or so more than the winning bid, I got RZ1

not sure that is accurate.

I paid the absolute minimum for the 1st Dallas auction ($185) got tickets numbered 48-50 in the 3rd row of RZ1 (the last 3 tickets sold of 300 in the first auction; 150 per side) and as stated earlier my family was in RZ1...we got in there around 5:45 and were on the rail just 2 feet to the right of where the rail stopped during COBL...Bono and his young friend stopped literally directly in front of me while the stopped and watched the big screen then they ran to the front (see below).

The Red Zone is the way to go but just be patient...you can't control what others do, but don't run the price up before you have to...you only have to be winning the auction in the end. Have fun...and good luck.

7335_182272431082_652771082_4243924_1036264_n.jpg

Broker, I was just going to post this - I was also in RZ2 at the Rose Bowl, and I paid $30-40 over the minimum, I think. The people around me seemed to have paid even more than that. I don't think it really has anything to do with how much was paid. I love RZ2 also! How amazing was Crazy Tonight right in front of us?? :drool:

Crazy Tonight was already one of my favorite things about the show, but after having them all RIGHT THERE in front of us - definitely a moment I won't forget - I was jumping up and down, giddy with glee. Experiences like that are why I really, really want to do RZ again next summer.

I paid 70 over for RZ2 in PHX, so I don't know if there was a rhyme or reason to that one auction.

I hope to do SEA RZ, or Anaheim.. maybe.

It depends on U2 ticket demand and supply in general in Miami, which you're probably more familiar with than non-residents. Regarding presales, I think I'm done with those because over 90% of venues (I think) had ticket drops before shows. In many cases the tickets were as good or better than the presale ones. I think I'll stick with ticket drops in the future in most cases.

No, I don't have concert experience so I'm not familiar. :)

And what exactly are ticket drops? Is that when they release more tickets closer to the concert date? When does that typically happen? 2 weeks before the show?

Thank you.

No, I don't have concert experience so I'm not familiar. :)

And what exactly are ticket drops? Is that when they release more tickets closer to the concert date? When does that typically happen? 2 weeks before the show?

Thank you.

Yes - they release more before the show. The ticket forum has an entire thread on ticket drops from the 2009 legs. It could be risky to buy seats plus do RZ because the seats might be hard to unload later - I'd keep that in mind. It really varies by city though.

I had some top-whack seats (£150 each + TicketThief's mark-up) before securing my Red Zone tickets (another £150 each) for Wembley 1 and I nearly didn't shift them. I managed to sell them on ebay a few days before the concert for £300 so I ended up making a loss once you take off thievEbay and PayPal's markups.

The way tickets sold here in the UK, they were still available on the day for some venues so I would suggest holding out for Red Zone and only purchasing seat tickets if you don't get them. Or buy GAs because they seem to sell regardless.

As of 2pmET Monday....

... all three RZ auctions are still below $200 each:

Oakland $170
Edmonton $175
Toronto $145

One day to go....

Red zone not worth it to me

I paid 700 for two R2 tickets and we never got to Red Zone in Vancouver last week!

Security was a complete gong show. There was no formal line, just blobs of people and it wasn't until way after 5:30 that they opened doors. They started letting VIP package people in first and Red Zone had to wait, which made some people angry and they tried to shove in w/VIP.

When we got through no one checked our tickets or patted us down, I could have smuggled anything in. We weren't told where to go so we just ran down the ramp until we saw the stadium floor. There some one finally checked our tickets and told us to go left. At another gate a person told us that it was the entrance for Red Zone 1 people who had wristbands, which was news to me, and we had to go around. I started to panic so we ran until we saw the edge of the stage. Seeing how close we were we decided to stay put.

:lol: WE SAW THE SHOW FROM THE RAIL RIGHT IN FRONT OF EDGE! :shifty:

Its the same crap VIP package that you can buy from TicketMaster. Better off buying a good top price seat and using the extra money to go out to a 4* restaurant for dinner.

Don't you bid on the TM VIP though?

I'm assuming the Citi has a set price. No clue. If I did it, it would be as a last resort. A really last resort.

Don't you bid on the TM VIP though?

I'm assuming the Citi has a set price. No clue. If I did it, it would be as a last resort. A really last resort.

VIP has always been fixed price. Only RZ has been auction. I agree about the extra $270 on top of the ticket price being a waste.

VIP does have a backstage lottery, but I'm not sure what the odds are. I think a couple people here did VIP, but didn't win the lottery.

Got my RZ 1 for Toronto - confirmation received. I overbid by $65 each - I paid $240. I thought it would go a little higher. Oh well, still $10 cheaper than the seated area and a whole lot better view.

VIP does have a backstage lottery, but I'm not sure what the odds are. I think a couple people here did VIP, but didn't win the lottery.

My vip raffle number was 1 number off :angry: The odds aren't good though.

I wouldn't recommend the VIP to anyone. Crappy buffet food and long drink lines. I pulled up a pair of VIP's for Toronto yesterday, and the seats were in the 200 level :crack:

Has anyone seen anything to clearly indicate whether Red Zone tickets can only be picked up on the day of the show again (for US shows)? I am assuming that is the case, but it seems as though the rules only state that it is "will call pickup only," and I could have sworn that last leg it was clearly specified that will call delivery "on the day of the show" was required. (I certainly somehow knew before bidding last leg that tix could only be picked up day of show).

I'm asking because I really want to do RZ for Oakland, and am 95% sure I'm going, but I would be flying there, and if work demands, sick kids, etc. derail my plans, I wouldn't want to simply give up the tix. (Yes, the fact that it's for charity would take away the sting a bit, but still . . . )

Has anyone seen anything to clearly indicate whether Red Zone tickets can only be picked up on the day of the show again (for US shows)? I am assuming that is the case, but it seems as though the rules only state that it is "will call pickup only," and I could have sworn that last leg it was clearly specified that will call delivery "on the day of the show" was required. (I certainly somehow knew before bidding last leg that tix could only be picked up day of show).

For the two RZ I did - VA allowed only day of show pickup, but DC allowed day before and day of show. That's one of the risk factors of doing RZ for an out of town show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom